Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Time Online
    31 d 1 h 28 m
    Avg. Time Online
    13 m
    How has your job been? I think you've been on it for about 3 weeks?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shawn For This Useful Post:

kittyray (08-12-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronoun(s)
    she/her (...they?)
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,933 Times in 2,519 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Time Online
    274 d 11 h 17 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 h 14 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    How has your job been? I think you've been on it for about 3 weeks?
    Today is actually my first month anniversary! I'm not sure if this makes more sense here or my life update thread. Anyway it's been...okay. Basically, it's a reasonably large company so there's just been so much onboarding and internal tools to learn, but I still feel like I know nothing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Shawn (08-12-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Time Online
    21 d 4 h 22 m
    Avg. Time Online
    9 m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    Today is actually my first month anniversary! I'm not sure if this makes more sense here or my life update thread. Anyway it's been...okay. Basically, it's a reasonably large company so there's just been so much onboarding and internal tools to learn, but I still feel like I know nothing.
    Happy monthiversary!! Don't worry; imposter syndrome is crazy common as a programmer. I personally think it's because a lot of time is usually spent debugging the damn thing wondering why the heck it's not working when the solution is often something super minor (missing semicolon?! Shadow variable?!) #feelsbadbro

Just keep going at it! One of my mentors who I thought was extremely exceptional always told me to fake it 'til I make it. I think he still believes he's faking it, but a lot of people on the team usually goes to him for help.. I once asked him if the imposter syndrome will ever go away and his reply was.. Nope! Ah.. endless suffering..

overthink.exe
    Pronoun(s)
    she/her (...they?)
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Time Online
    274 d 11 h 17 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 h 14 m
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceyGirl View Post
    Happy monthiversary!! Don't worry; imposter syndrome is crazy common as a programmer. I personally think it's because a lot of time is usually spent debugging the damn thing wondering why the heck it's not working when the solution is often something super minor (missing semicolon?! Shadow variable?!) #feelsbadbro

Just keep going at it! One of my mentors who I thought was extremely exceptional always told me to fake it 'til I make it. I think he still believes he's faking it, but a lot of people on the team usually goes to him for help.. I once asked him if the imposter syndrome will ever go away and his reply was.. Nope! Ah.. endless suffering..
    Thank you! I am, just a little rough. I'm hoping to find a mentor or two soon.

I think I could deal with it more if it was coding woes, if only because I spent a couple years teaching and being on that side of it. But this is more just learning all of the architecture and bigger contexts of everything. People keep assuring me that it's normal and I'm on a good track and it'll be a few months at least but I do find myself in a cycle of being bored by what I'm doing because I'm not familiar enough to do much yet but then also being super stressed out because I feel like I'm not doing enough.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

SpaceyGirl (2 Weeks Ago)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Time Online
    13 h 20 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    Thank you! I am, just a little rough. I'm hoping to find a mentor or two soon.

I think I could deal with it more if it was coding woes, if only because I spent a couple years teaching and being on that side of it. But this is more just learning all of the architecture and bigger contexts of everything. People keep assuring me that it's normal and I'm on a good track and it'll be a few months at least but I do find myself in a cycle of being bored by what I'm doing because I'm not familiar enough to do much yet but then also being super stressed out because I feel like I'm not doing enough.
    It's a common re-occurrence to feel like that. I've been in my job-role for over two years now and I still feel that way. The thing to keep in mind is that you're not the only one that feels like that, there is more than likely someone on your team who feels the same way.

Have you managed to progress with your Java skills? As long as you know the core fundamentals of programming, you should easily pick up a language (whether new or you did many years ago) with ease after a couple of weeks playing with it. Granted, I haven't touched Java in several years myself, but going back to C++ after being primarily Python it is not as daunting. Although I do curse a lot when I forget a curly brace or semi-colon ;-)

overthink.exe
    Pronoun(s)
    she/her (...they?)
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Time Online
    274 d 11 h 17 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 h 14 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ieen View Post
    It's a common re-occurrence to feel like that. I've been in my job-role for over two years now and I still feel that way. The thing to keep in mind is that you're not the only one that feels like that, there is more than likely someone on your team who feels the same way.

Have you managed to progress with your Java skills? As long as you know the core fundamentals of programming, you should easily pick up a language (whether new or you did many years ago) with ease after a couple of weeks playing with it. Granted, I haven't touched Java in several years myself, but going back to C++ after being primarily Python it is not as daunting. Although I do curse a lot when I forget a curly brace or semi-colon ;-)

On literally three different occasions I forgot a semicolon and broke my code within a minute of making a joke about missing javascript's willy-nilly attitude toward them. (and then of course later I was writing some python in my spare time and I had to keep deleting the ones I habitually added).

But so far I haven't actually written any Java for this job. I will eventually, but so far it's just been the Ruby I mentioned and some markup language that I already forgot what it was that was easy to pattern-match my through the changes I was making. Between being new and the team being in the middle of a couple ops-heavy projects, there isn't a lot of code to be writing right now.

Picking up on another language is definitely easier after you've learned the first, though some are friendlier than others (like, I've mostly only used C++ for Arduino and OpenFrameworks and it...is not my fave).