Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your opinions on Israel x Palestine?

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    14h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

What are your opinions on Israel x Palestine?

Hello everyone.

I know, it's quite a sensitive topic.

As you may know, this week the issue has come to light again as bombings happened in the region.

I would love to read different opinions on this matter, but unfortunately, in most places out there in the internet people just fight like crazy about this subject. Since the forum has rules and all, I was thinking things could be a bit more respectful in here.

Many claim that it can't even be called a "conflict", as Israel is immensevily overpowered according to those; others say one is only their right to defend themselves from terrorists who happen to come from Palestine. Often, people also bring out the entire thing UN did years back is wrong, and etc, etc, etc.

So, what are your opinions on Israel x Palestine?
    so you were curious huh?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Unlucky For This Useful Post:

Spore (05-17-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her or they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    32d 8h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    My opinion is that I don't know enough to really form a valid opinion. Though I do think one should be able to criticize a government without being called antisemitic, but then again a lot of opinions I have seen that criticize Israel veer into the antisemitic category. The reaction of Netanyahu does seem to be the one of somebody who is trying to distract and wanting to stay in power.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dot For This Useful Post:

Hare (05-17-2021),♥ Shinx ♥ (11-03-2023),♥ Styx ♥ (11-05-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    93d 20h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    Both are just two sides to the same fucked up coin in my opinion. Israel acts like an Apartheid state (different driving lanes, different laws, different health care, no vaccines for Palestinians, enclosing Gaza and banning it from trading, keeping Gaza as a de facto prison where no one can get out and enter Israel) and discriminates Arabs and Palestinians. It steals land, it has never respected the original 1947 borders, it is JUST like the Chinese government who are moving Han Chinese to Xin Jiang to replace the Uygurs and ethnically change the demographic of the province (and slowly get the Uyghurs to go extinct). They keep building houses for "settlers" just to make it impossible to ever return to the old borders, and to keep Palestinians from going back to their homes. Orthodox Jews/Zionists are getting out of hand, bullying Palestinians/Muslims out of their houses, stealing ground and beating up innocent people like that motorist a few days ago. Palestinians are just as worse, supporting Hamas and using violence too. Hamas has already send more 100s of rockets to Israel. Israel on the other hand has sent a lot of rockets as well, killing way more (from the top of my head 175 against 10). The latest thing Israel did was bomb a media/journalist office building, destroying it completely, only warning the journalists an hour before. Luckily no one got killed, but why would Israel target journalists? I can only think of one reason and that is to control the media. Make sure nothing that's bad for Israel's reputation gets out. As if their reputation hasn't been smeared by themselves for years.

I'm afraid it will never end. The whole problem started when the US just gave "a country without people to a people without a country". As if Palestine was empty back then. How can Israeli's ever be seen as anything else than invaders to those surrounding them, and how can Palestinians ever get their homes and land back? They will never live together peacefully because the basis on which Israel as a country stands, and its origin, are not legitimate. Another problem is that Israel's government has been leaning more and more to the extreme right. Netanyahu is adding oil to the fire, not solving the problem.

Some links to things I have mentioned:

(you need an account to see links) & (you need an account to see links) Israeli almost lynch a motorist.

(you need an account to see links) - International media building destroyed by Israel.

- Irish MP talks about Israel as an Apartheid state.

- On how Israeli settlers are ruining Israel.

(you need an account to see links) - On how Hamas is ruining Gaza.
    Last edited by Erik.; 05-15-2021 at 11:42 AM.

Ummie and Vape made by the awesome GWN

my own special userbar made by Lyrichord
    and the awesomest ryus made by GWN, Infected & Lyrichord

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

dono (10-27-2023),Dot (05-16-2021),Excalibur (10-27-2023),Gato (05-27-2021),Hare (05-17-2021),Hollow (05-16-2021),♥ Munna ♥ (01-30-2024),naruto (10-29-2023),NeopetLandy (04-26-2022),♥ Rowlet ♥ (10-29-2023),Trash Panda (05-16-2021),Unlucky (05-17-2021),♥ Yuumi ♥ (10-18-2023),Zapdos (05-15-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    70d 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    34m
    It's difficult to talk about I think. While I am not Palestinian I do have some similar experiences when I was in Lebanon, and can somewhat relate to what they are going through (on a small scale). I've had one of my family members caught by the IDF when they were occupying the South of Lebanon (my family are Lebanese) and he was in prison for nearly 5 years for resisting them - I was a child when this happened but it's one of those things that sticks with the family.

The entire thing is heart breaking to see, I almost feel like if I try to call out the horrors of what the Palestinians are going through then I might get called an antisemite.

I don't know if this conflict will ever end to be honest, it's been ongoing for decades.

*that's rough buddy*

(you need an account to see links)

thank you Dita ;u; & thank you sugarbee *u* thank you Lyrichord for the ub *O* thank you Kibba for the dp eue

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hollow For This Useful Post:

Aironne (10-27-2023),Buizel (05-17-2021),Cookie Tray (05-16-2021),Dot (05-16-2021),Erik. (05-16-2021),Excalibur (10-27-2023),Hare (05-17-2021),NeopetLandy (04-26-2022),Zapdos (05-16-2021)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    It's pretty clear to me that it's ethnic cleansing aka genocide that's been going on for decades, and Israel has been becoming more and more vicious. The history of the issues with the region goes back to WWII* since the beginning of "Israel" as a country, which was theft of Palestinian land. It's not a "conflict" as that erases the incredible violence, and it's entirely one-sided.

The clearest way to tell who's clearly in the wrong? The US, a genocidal imperialist power, has been funding and sending weapons to Israel for decades, not to Palestine. Look to where the evils of the world are placing their money and weapons to see the truth behind any violence.

*Edit: It actually traces back to WWI, after England captured the region post-war from the Ottoman Empire. Zionism was spread like wildfire post-WWII, and that is when the illegal occupation, land grabbing, and ethnic cleansing began. I remember learning this in middle school (in the US) as we were taught about the Holocaust; we read "Night" by Elie Wiesel, a survivor of one genocide, who supported the genocide of another group. It made no sense.

If you read at all, I would look into Edward Said's "Zionism from the Standpoint of Its Victims" (excerpt PDF available (you need an account to see links)) or (you need an account to see links) on the "conflict."

"Israel" is not a legitimate nation; it is the name that settlers and occupiers give to the parts of Palestine they have stolen and executed civilians for.
    Last edited by Cookie Tray; 05-16-2021 at 10:30 PM. Reason: correcting mistake

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cookie Tray For This Useful Post:

Aironne (10-27-2023),Babaa (11-11-2023),Excalibur (10-27-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    188 times
    Time Online
    84d 20h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    My opinion on this matter is likely uneducated in many ways, but the formal existence of Israel is definitely a case where "history repeats itself". @(you need an account to see links) and @(you need an account to see links) already touched on it, but the modern territorial disputes of the Middle East have been long running and was likely exacerbated by surprise! England, France, and Russia during and after WWI. You can read more about the (you need an account to see links) where the Western world basically just divvied up land for themselves, not really considering the very real people with very real cultures living inside that land. This has obviously been repeated around the world by the same countries + other European countries + the US, from Asia to Africa to North America.

Meme below:

Geopolitically, I understand why the US continues to ally itself with Israel, although geopolitics is definitely not the only reason in the US for this continued partnership. I also think the governments of both Israel and Palestine are strongly at fault (like, the Hamas are basically a militant organization and they certainly don't seem better than the Israeli government) and the people, mostly Palestinians at this point, are unfortunately just collateral damage.

My strongest opinion on this matter is that Jerusalem should be an "(you need an account to see links)", but I don't think this is an unpopular opinion.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

Erik. (05-17-2021),NeopetLandy (04-26-2022)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    We can answer with a question: what we are seeing is a third intifada?
    We are experiencing a new war in Gaza that will not end immediately, that is for sure. But are we seeing a third intifada?

For years, I believe that the third intifada has been in progress. It has been operating since at least 2016 or 2017, especially in Jerusalem.
    In July 2017, Palestinian youth rebelled in Jerusalem against the installation of security gates on the Esplanade. Now we are in a similar situation: the defense of the public space of the Old City.

Intifada means revolt in Arabic. Is it a revolt? Yes, there are disturbances. It is much less structured than the second intifada and there is less militarization. It is more a mobilization of civil society, of youth, with the help of social networks and with very concrete and pragmatic demands.

I am not the only one who thinks that international pressure does not work. It only has an impact on the Israeli government, its right-wing governments and Israeli public opinion. Proof of this is what happened on Monday.
    After pressure from the UN, from Europe, but mainly from the United States, which resumed a classic position, the same as that of the Donald Trump administration, the Israeli government showed signs that it wanted a slowdown.
    Among them was the Supreme Court who had to decide on the expulsion of Palestinian families from Sheikh Jarrah, the ban on going to the Esplanade of the Mosques for Israeli Jews, etc.
    We know that Qatar has significant power and everyone needs it to serve as an intermediary between Hamas and the Israeli government when there is a ceasefire.
    The current Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a return to what is repressed on the world diplomatic agenda: the situation has been ignored by the world.
    The Trump era blurred the eyes of observers, who ended up believing that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict could end without being resolved.
    Until the conflict is resolved, it will continue to resurface periodically, in different and unexpected ways.

The solution of two national states (one Israeli and one Palestinian) died a long time ago, especially with the 650,000 Israeli settlers based in the West Bank.
    But above all, it died in the spirit of young Palestinians. It is not on their agenda nor do they think about it.
    They fight for their rights, for their public spaces, their living conditions and a form of equality with their Israeli neighbors. And the same goes for the Arabs who live in Israel.
    On the Israeli side, it appears that, due to the emergence of the right and the extreme right, a large part of the political body and ordinary people advocate the complete annexation of much of the West Bank.
    In a way, there is already a binational state. In that whole territory there is a single army in action, a currency: the shekel, and a single border: the Israeli one.
    The Israeli-Palestinian binational state already exists, but it is a state where individuals who do not have the same rights coexist.

The solution of the two states is becoming more and more distant and almost nobody talks about it anymore.
    Last edited by Spore; 05-17-2021 at 02:39 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Spore For This Useful Post:

Cookie Tray (05-17-2021)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    To me, both sides have a history of doing fucked up things to each other.
    To me this has been happening for quite a long time now, longer than any of us on this forum has been alive.

I fully believe; as someone who doesn't live in that part of the world. That the situation is far too complex to see it from a black and white perspective. Rather I just mourn the loss of innocent life on both sides of the coin. There's far too much I don't understand to offer more than sympathy toward the people who don't deserve to lose their lives or families from acts of war and terror.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Synth Salazzle For This Useful Post:

Baelia (05-21-2021),Excalibur (10-27-2023),Spore (05-18-2021),♥ Styx ♥ (11-05-2023),Unlucky (05-23-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    46d 12h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    27m
    i first learned of it from a video called "Muffins", one of the first videos i ever watched on youtube when i was like 11. israeli-palestinian conflict muffin.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    60/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    8d 19h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    In my view, the beginning of a third war, a very beginning.