Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite music in a language you don't understand?

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    937 times
    Time Online
    116d 6h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    @(you need an account to see links) oh that is some interesting tea on Wardruna, but I guess if people are calling you out like that that means you've gotten famous enough to rustle feathers huh xD (Unfamiliar with them, but I recognize Aurora from Frozen 2, ofc ) Also really like the last one (Smek) you shared! Makes me feel relaxed.
    @(you need an account to see links) wow I really enjoyed that Serebro song, it was so emotional even though they could have been singing about broccoli for all I know
    @(you need an account to see links) Oooh Wave I'm not an EXO fan by any means but Growl is definitely iconic from them!

Also all these Quenya songs are soooo good what the heckk I want to listen to all these covers now!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

genesis (05-12-2021),Lyrichord (05-12-2021)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Oh man, the first band I got REALLY into was a German band called Tokio Hotel. They were big over here in the states for a hot minute (the vocalist and the lead guitar are twins), and they recently came back from a hiatus. Their early music remains some of my favorite indulgent pleasures. You may remember them from the EMAs (European Music Awards) a while back for a song called "Monsoon," where they drenched the band in water at the final bridge.

It's kind of cheating, because they released some of their records in both English and German, but I always listened to the Germans ones first - I think they sound more natural. Here's a song from one of their later records, "Lass uns Laufen." The English version is named "World Behind My Wall." (It's so nostalgic THEY'RE ALL BABIES AHHHHH MY HEART)

(Here's the official video, in English, if you're curious.)

And here's their original hit, "Durch den Monsun."

Sorry for the potato quality - it's difficult to find good quality versions of their German vids unless you're using a German VPN!

And I only recently started getting into kpop, but I love the group "Seventeen" (there's 13 of them, but there used to be 17 - hence the name). They're the "theater kids" of kpop, and they produce incredible amounts of content for the fans, like a weekly variety show called "Going Seventeen," constant behind-the-scenes videos... kpop really is an industry that focused on the visual aspects of performance, and I think that's what contributed to its early spread. But that's all theory and ANYWAY JUST LOOK AT THIS FABULOUS MUSIC VIDEO.

This is my favorite song from one of their most recent records, Semicolon. The song is called "Home;Run."

Here's another song called "My, My" (from the same album) with a bit of a different tone! Wow I love them.

And if you want more nonsense, check out the Lord of the Rings Musical, which is a spectacular flop of a performance, but the production quality? Unlike anything you've ever seen. They used a groundbreaking type of stage for the battle scenes (a big turntable the size of the stage that rotated and went up and down at different pieces), incredible puppetry for the Balrog and the Ringwraiths (think of the stage production of War Horse x 10) and the songs feature correct Quenyan or Sindarin (at the Elvish parts). There's a documentary on it that goes into some of the behind the scenes stuff:

BUT THAT'S NOT WHY YOU'RE HERE, YOU'RE HERE FOR THE ELVES (beware their accents aren't great)

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

Dot (05-14-2021),dustyc (05-12-2021),genesis (05-12-2021),Ice (05-12-2021),Lyrichord (05-12-2021),mixednuts (05-18-2021),Stardust (05-12-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    434 times
    Time Online
    64d 2h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    Quote Originally Posted by lyrichord View Post
    What are some of your favorites? Unheilig's video is practically a movie. And WOW on Wolf :o What a song and music video! I was wondering when Kpop was going to show up here!
    For languages I don't understand at all, my favorite is probably the Dutch version of For the First Time in Forever!

@(you need an account to see links) I'm not a kpop fan at all! I barely know any of the bands or anything. I just know this one song because my best friend (which is a kpop fan) translated it and showed me and I was just like "damn this song is good" lol.

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)
    I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶b̶a̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶!̶ I GOT IT!!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TsUNaMy WaVe For This Useful Post:

Dot (05-14-2021),Ice (05-12-2021),Lyrichord (05-12-2021)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    36d 13h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    I have been getting into Nena's music recently! Of course I've heard her hit "99 Luftballons/Red Balloons" plenty of times, but right before covid hit I heard "Haus Der Drei Sonnen" playing in a thrift store and immediately looked it up when I got home!

"Engel Der Nacht" is a favorite of mine too!

I only know maybe...5 words? in German, so safe to say I don't really know what the lyrics are about, unfortunately. But her voice is so pretty

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustyc For This Useful Post:

Dot (05-14-2021),Lyrichord (05-12-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    669 times
    Time Online
    210d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 31m
    @(you need an account to see links), thank you for sharing. I agree - the original German on Tokio Hotel sounds better than the English. That one is my favorite of the two. And thanks for the intro to Seventeen! I have no clue what you mean by biases, but I'm sure that speaks to my complete lack of knowledge to Kpop. I have no clue how people can sing so well and dance at the same time. :o The bubbles at the end of My My made me smile. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to have a successful LOTR musical. There are probably some companies that could pull it off now (I'm thinking West End in England) but they would need to bring in trained athletes. (And be able to pack audiences in). As for the Flight to the Ford, that woman has lungs. Dang. I've always been impressed by singers who have that alto "cry" for lack of a better term.

@(you need an account to see links) and @(you need an account to see links), Thank you for sharing.
    Last edited by Lyrichord; 05-12-2021 at 06:13 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lyrichord For This Useful Post:

Dot (05-14-2021),dustyc (05-12-2021),Flordibel (05-12-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    669 times
    Time Online
    210d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 31m
    Anyone recognize this from a decade ago? The written ending of the related series drove me nutty. However, seeing it again will be interesting.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyrichord For This Useful Post:

Dot (05-14-2021),TsUNaMy WaVe (05-13-2021)

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    14h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Alright, it's GERMAN BEATLES TIME!

Can you believe this actually happened? lmao
    so you were curious huh?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unlucky For This Useful Post:

Dot (05-14-2021),dustyc (05-13-2021),Lyrichord (05-13-2021)

Pronouns
    🐈/🐱
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    327 times
    Time Online
    101d 19h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 41m
    Japanese hands down is my favorite. I'll be jammin out to some anime openings with no idea what they are saying xD

Last edited by Cat Purrson; 05-13-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Thank you honeycomb | Thank you Hollow | Thank you Wooloo | Thank you hearts

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat Purrson For This Useful Post:

Dot (05-14-2021),Lyrichord (05-13-2021)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Honestly nothing specific stands out to me, but I'll listen to anything in any language as long as it sounds good.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

Pronouns
    she/her or they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    32d 8h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    @(you need an account to see links) So true, and they got huge because a lot of their songs were used in Vikings, guess some people don't like it when more obscure genres go mainstream. Same with Nightwish. Glad you enjoyed Smek!
    @(you need an account to see links) What blast from the past, and the summer TH got popular was crazy in the German speaking world. I feel like they made emo popular here, the style and the music. Any other people from the German speaking world correct me if I'm wrong, but they were the first band or artist (in a while) to get so famous so fast, and internationally too. They went through some crazy shit though, I wouldn't wish the insane amount of hate they recived for making music that was popular iwth teenage girls on anyone. Aaah, the misogynism of the 2000s and early-mid 2010s, I sure don't miss that.

And thank you @(you need an account to see links) and @(you need an account to see links) for appreciating German tracks too! It makes me sad when people make fun of German for sounding harsh (there's more to German than Rammstein and being the language the baddies speak in movies), so seeing people enjoying German for once is a nice change!

You might enjoy this one too, the English version was an international hit, but I prefer the German version. You might recognize it from (you need an account to see links) (spoiler warning and also animal cruelty that made me cry lol)
    Last edited by Dot; 05-14-2021 at 06:20 AM.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dot For This Useful Post:

dustyc (05-14-2021),Flordibel (05-14-2021),kittyray (05-14-2021),Lyrichord (05-14-2021),Unlucky (05-14-2021)