Thread: Monster Hunter Stories for 5 Bucks! Consider giving it a try!

Pronouns
    He/They
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    51/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    11d 7h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m

Post Monster Hunter Stories for 5 Bucks! Consider giving it a try!

Since Monster Hunter Stories 2 is coming out in a couple of months for the Switch, The game Monster Hunter Stories is currently on sale for 4.99 USD on the (you need an account to see links) and (you need an account to see links)! It's initially 20 bucks and I'd consider it a steal for such a high quality game. If you're on the fence, there's even playable free demos that let you carry your save data over to the full game.

But Android, I haven't played a Monster Hunter game before. I'm completely new to the series!

Perfectly OK! You need no prior knowledge of the series to play this - in fact, it was my first experience with Monster Hunter as well. It's considered a spinoff and pretty unrelated from the main series.

Why does this game look so different from the other Monster Hunter games? I'm not interested in hack and slash games. I prefer things like Pokemon.

*note: This game isn't a carbon copy of Pokemon, it just happens to be the most popular monster collecting game of its kind and I feel this would be a good comparison to gauge interest.

GREAT news for you, the battle system in this game is a turn-based RPG. Similar to Pokemon Sword and Shield or Let's Go, you can see and encounter monsters in real time, then it moves to the turn based battle sequence.

I don't like the idea of just running around and killing innocent monsters for fun, why can't we make friends?

Even better news! Monster Hunter Stories is ALL ABOUT raising and making friends with monsters of all kinds. You can even explore the overworld by flying, riding, or swimming on top of your beloved monsters you hatch from an egg you found yourself, and take/compose a "party" with you. This game emphasizes the bonds between monster buddies (called "monsties" in game) and YOU, the player! Of course, you still have to go out and battle wild rampaging monsters that pose a danger or threats to the community, but it isn't mindless killing. There's no gore either, of course.

But can I look cool while playing? I want to make myself or a lookalike to one of my favorite characters!

Your character is essentially a self-insert and you can pick categories such as...

• Face Shape
    • Eye type
    • Mouth type
    • Voice type
    • Makeup
    • Hairstyle/color
    • Skin color
    • ...and more!

You can also craft lots of armor in the game that can enhance your stats AND make you look fly.

I encourage you at least give the demo a try if you're looking to scratch that monster collecting itch and want a great adventure with lots of cute and cool monsties. Additionally, the game is available on the 3Ds and if you wish can be emulated. If you have any other questions about the game, I'd be glad to answer!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android For This Useful Post:

Buizel (04-25-2021),cloudcupcake (04-26-2021),Synth Salazzle (04-25-2021)

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    704 times
    Time Online
    349d 13h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 10m
    I agree with all of @(you need an account to see links) 's post! I originally got this game for the 3DS way back when it was first released and it was my first Monster Hunter game I really got into. It also helped me get into MHW and now MHR and I plan to pre-order MHS 2's collector's edition when it is released as well.

One thing I did want to bring up is the combat system to this game. As pointed out, it is a turn based fighting system, but it also relies on a rock-paper-scissors method in order to fight. I am not sure if the mobile version of this game uses the same formatting, but in case it does, I remember this combat system putting some off when they tried this game. Personally, it took some time to get used to it, but I liked it. It does try to follow the same formula as regular monster hunter games i.e. monsters attack in patterns still, so once you fight a monster once or twice, you'll see their pattern.

The methods of attacking are Speed, Power, and Technical.

Speed > Power
    Power > Technical
    Technical > Speed

Since your rider (main character) has the ability to fight as well, if you and your monster choose the same type of advantageous attack, you'll do double damage! I remember some monsters used to be jerks and throw in attacks that their type usually doesn't use to keep you on your toes though lol (a Speed type of monster using a Power move every now and then). I kind of like the choice of combat this game went with over just following the standard Pokemon format, but I can see if it's not for everyone.

Overall though, I definitely recommend this game!

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon
    (you need an account to see links)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

Android (04-25-2021),cloudcupcake (04-26-2021)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I've never played this series, and I've always wanted to befriend monsters instead of kill them. This is absolutely for me an I'm going to give it a try.

On 3Ds, does it HAVE to be emulated or can I buy it normally? Or is it out of print?

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Synth Salazzle For This Useful Post:

Android (04-25-2021),Buizel (04-25-2021)

Pronouns
    He/They
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    51/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    11d 7h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthbass View Post
    I've never played this series, and I've always wanted to befriend monsters instead of kill them. This is absolutely for me an I'm going to give it a try.

On 3Ds, does it HAVE to be emulated or can I buy it normally? Or is it out of print?
    It's still buyable now physically and digitally! (you need an account to see links) I just know a lot of people use emulators nowadays, but I do own it digitally and it runs fine - though I hear it runs better on the New 3DS. It goes on sale fairly frequently as well. I've seen physical copies floating around on Mercari, expect to pay around 20-30 USD for them! I don't think there's any new copies going around solely because the 3DS is discontinued.

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    704 times
    Time Online
    349d 13h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthbass View Post

I believe the 3DS's eshop store is still operating as normal. The game has a demo you can download there as well and you can buy the game digitally. As far as buying a physical copy, that may be hard since the game is out of print. So you'll have to buy it via 3rd parties like Gamestop, Walmart, Ebay, ect.

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

Android (04-25-2021),Synth Salazzle (04-26-2021)

Pronouns
    He/They
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    51/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    11d 7h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I swear my last reply got sent, but I guess it didn't haha

The game is available to buy normally via 3DS Eshop still! Like Brittany said, they're out of print physically but can be found used in prices ranging from 20 to 30$ USD.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Android For This Useful Post:

Synth Salazzle (04-26-2021)