Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: d'you think jumpstaff will ever do a name purge?

Pronouns
    it/its or they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    76 times
    Time Online
    8d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m

d'you think jumpstaff will ever do a name purge?

it's sorely needed at this point...

my most beloved personal (extremely uncommon, usually not taken by anyone but me anywhere else online except for twitter) name is taken both by an inactive account and an inactive pet, and it's just...so sad. my oldest accounts i made as a young child were purged for being inactive only a couple years, and yet thousands of accounts have sat for a decade or more by this point unused. i miss my childhood pets, man. i wish i could see them again.

i know jumpstaff have a TON on their plates, but you think they'll ever do another? or should i give up..?
    Pip!
    Pip! Hatched April 9, 2021, as a Chameleon!
    Was magically transformed into a Bunny April 16, 2021! I'll add the other dates soon!
    *hop, hop, hop*(you need an account to see links)

please message me with additions to the high risk list! i try to keep it updated <3

i update my song pretty frequently! let me know if you like it, or if you have something you think i'll like! <3

(yell at me to draw pls)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hare For This Useful Post:

Android (04-20-2021)

Gyaoo!
    Pronouns
    【she ⚡ her】
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    334 times
    Time Online
    52d 15h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    56m
    Do people call them Jumpstaff? I'm out of the loop lol

They've mentioned they will eventually but it is not a huge priority. I believe it was mentioned in an editorial in the past year. I'll see if I can find it

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links)

Thank you Zenitsu and Greyfaerie for my siggy UBs respectively!
    Thank you Hollow for the vector art!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zapdos For This Useful Post:

Hare (04-19-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    222/0
    Mentioned
    224 times
    Time Online
    101d 8h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    i wish they would do it just to free server space tbh, but i dont think they will have a purge anytime soon. the pet with the name i have is frozen and i wish i had the chance to create it x.x i think it has been like 10 years since the last purge?

wish tnt had the system where you could switch your user/pet name but unfortunatelly their coding doesnt allow them to implement that x.x

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    950 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Yeah I'm fairly certain they know we've been aching for one and it's on their "list" of things that is long enough to wrap around our planet and go to the moon and back for sure. I could see it happening one day, for sure, but when? Far far off in the future. Will we still be around, screaming over a virtual pet site from our childhood? Probably.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

kittyray (04-19-2021),TsUNaMy WaVe (04-21-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    36/0
    Mentioned
    133 times
    Time Online
    55d 4h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSloth View Post
    i wish they would do it just to free server space tbh, but i dont think they will have a purge anytime soon. the pet with the name i have is frozen and i wish i had the chance to create it x.x i think it has been like 10 years since the last purge?

wish tnt had the system where you could switch your user/pet name but unfortunatelly their coding doesnt allow them to implement that x.x
    If I had to guess, they used the pet name as part of the key on the DB table to keep it unique, which would have been a great idea in 2000...with the hindsight and advances in programming knowledge from the past 21 years, it was a very bad one . There are plenty of other ways to keep fields unique!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RealisticError For This Useful Post:

kittyray (04-19-2021)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    36d 13h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    As much as I wish so, I doubt it will happen any time soon. Even if they say they will, I feel like that means nothing at this point. Plus they have plenty of other things to worry about fixing, too. But I feel your pain, my cat's uncommon name is sitting on a very inactive account, and I would die for it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dustyc For This Useful Post:

Hare (04-19-2021)

Pronouns
    it/its or they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    76 times
    Time Online
    8d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    you know, i've been on petsites in the past that successfully switched from name-based to ID, but they were magnitudes smaller than neopets and i doubt neopets would be able to handle such a change so successfully

i can't even imagine the work and coding changes that'd take on a site this ancient and huge?? and with such a small staff these days...
    Pip!
    Pip! Hatched April 9, 2021, as a Chameleon!
    Was magically transformed into a Bunny April 16, 2021! I'll add the other dates soon!
    *hop, hop, hop*(you need an account to see links)

please message me with additions to the high risk list! i try to keep it updated <3

i update my song pretty frequently! let me know if you like it, or if you have something you think i'll like! <3

(yell at me to draw pls)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    222/0
    Mentioned
    224 times
    Time Online
    101d 8h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    Quote Originally Posted by RealisticError View Post
    If I had to guess, they used the pet name as part of the key on the DB table to keep it unique, which would have been a great idea in 2000...with the hindsight and advances in programming knowledge from the past 21 years, it was a very bad one . There are plenty of other ways to keep fields unique!
    this is exactly what they have done, same for username, and i must say, when i used to play only neo, i used to find really awful other games the userpage or pet page being xxxx.com/454545 or any other than the user or pet name, but seeing how it works on other games i wish neo had thought of that x.x

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    you know, i've been on petsites in the past that successfully switched from name-based to ID, but they were magnitudes smaller than neopets and i doubt neopets would be able to handle such a change so successfully

i can't even imagine the work and coding changes that'd take on a site this ancient and huge?? and with such a small staff these days...
    oh, i didnt know it was something that could be changed after, i thought games like marapets that exists since 2004 have always been like that, this is great to know, but yes, unfortunatelly neo is possibly too big for that specially with their current financial resources

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrSloth For This Useful Post:

Hare (04-19-2021),RealisticError (04-20-2021)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    950 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Subeta originally had unique pet names then switched to an ID system several years ago. But as Hare said, several magnitudes smaller by far and I think Subeta is far more structurally coded in a simplistic way, whereas Neopets is probably some psycho antiquated eldritch coding horror that has too many ties to deprecated and obsolete programming at this point.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Lyrichord (04-20-2021),Sakuras (05-07-2021),Zapdos (04-20-2021)

Pronouns
    He/They
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    51/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    11d 8h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I'm personally on the mindset that it probably won't ever happen any time soon, now that so much of the website needs to still be converted to HTML5...which I have no idea how long it will take.