Thread: Item Price API/Source (Bulk item pricing)

Pronouns
    He / Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    63d 23h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m

Item Price API/Source (Bulk item pricing)

Hey all, I'm going through a lot of accounts and I'm writing my own SDB pricer.
    Are there any good sources where I can get item prices without getting banned for sending too many requests in a short amount of time?

Or any tips on getting bulk item prices?

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,751 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 42m
    The only reliable source for semi-accurate item prices is JellyNeo, but the freshness of that data depends on the frequency of your queries. JellyNeo allows for approximately five hundred page requests per day without temporarily banning you based on your IP, assuming that the amount of page requests that you're performing appear to be done at human speed. Slightly more page requests after the temporary ban won't do any harm, but if your subsequent page requests number in the thousands, then they'll permanently ban your IP. They'll also ban you outright if you're slamming their server with too many page requests in a short period of time. You can get fancy with proxies in order to spread out your traffic and avoid or circumvent bans, but there isn't a better or faster option than JellyNeo when it comes to mass pricing. Always code your solution to run at a trickle to avoid drawing attention to yourself from either the Neopets or JellyNeo flagging mechanics.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:

Shawn (04-13-2021)

Pronouns
    He / Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    63d 23h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Thank you @(you need an account to see links). 500 per day doesnt sound like a lot if I dont go for proxies. Luckily I could have 3 IPs to query from daily.

I guess a workaround would be to also have a list of junk items to NOT check for price, as well as a local db of items that I have already priced, which I can look up before going to JN.
    Last edited by Shawn; 04-13-2021 at 01:13 PM.

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,751 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 42m
    It does add up after a while, @(you need an account to see links), but the proxy approach does work wonders! You could also hop between networks if you've got multiple accessible wireless networks around you, and automate that even further with multiple wireless network adapters as well. The goal is to spread out the page requests to as many unique IPs as you can while operating at human speeds. If you stay under the five hundred threshold by a few hundred, then you can usually side-step their temporary ban as well. It's all about disseminating your activities to avoid detection!

You could indeed supplement your searches if you took into account item rarities. Certain rarities are more likely than others to fluctuate in price, so keeping their prices fresh(er) would be preferable to skimming every item's price on each go-around.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:

Shawn (04-13-2021)

Pronouns
    He / Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    63d 23h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    So to get the rules right, for JN:
    Sending <500 queries per IP per 24 hours would steer me clear of any temp bans?