Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What motivates you to workout? And what's your favorite thing to do?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    84 times
    Time Online
    14d 15h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m

What motivates you to workout? And what's your favorite thing to do?

Short Story Time!

So I hated myself and how I looked and decided to change it several months ago. I've been working out consistently since then, and I am so freaking proud of myself.
    But what I found interesting, is that I learned that I absolutely LOVE weightlifting. (still hate cardio, but I'm working on it!)

I've lost over 10 pounds in what I call "dough" and the rest has been converting to muscle, and I love it! (I'm a tiny human so 25 pounds is a LOT of change in me!)

Honestly, this is the longest I have ever stuck with working out, and I look the best I have in many years... And somehow I stay determined this time, even when I'm not super motivated. So I was wondering, what keeps you going and workouts/routines do you guys love???

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ambient For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (04-13-2021),DrSloth (04-13-2021),j03 (04-13-2021),♥ LibraryFaerie ♥ (04-13-2021),My name is Yoshikage Kira (04-13-2021),Nattiee (04-13-2021),Sephora (04-13-2021),Zapdos (04-14-2021)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Started off the same motivation, ever since getting on BC I have gained a significant amount of weight
    I would get sad seeing old pictures of myself and how small I was. Another reason is because I can feel the negative effects of the weight on my knees, need to curb it now before it becomes a permanent problem

I've been playing a ton of VR workout games, going on walks and just moving around more in general. Doubling it with counting calories and watching what I eat
    I hate working out so it's something I need to trick my brain into doing lol

Sadly no weight loss yet because the BC, but I have soo much more energy.

Thank you to carrottea for the lovely userbar

4. The Following User Says Thank You to My name is Yoshikage Kira For This Useful Post:

Zapdos (04-14-2021)

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    155d 3h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Congrats in getting back into working out and the weight loss! It is always hard. I am struggling myself to get back into it now. I've had to take a few weeks off due to injury. So the hardest part is totally getting back into it. What motivated me to get back into it was I noticed I was getting into a funk and my mood was just trash. I found once I got back into it I had more energy for my kiddo which continued to motivate me more.

If you need more motivation or want to share your progress or workouts your doing feel free to join us on this thread as well! (you need an account to see links). It's a great place for us all to keep motivating each other

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

Zapdos (04-14-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    222/0
    Mentioned
    224 times
    Time Online
    101d 6h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    OH i'm definetly gonna check this board more times for motivation, i've been feeling bad with myself since before quarantine started and lately it has been harder to deal with, i tried starting just a bit of exercising but i can never keep it for more than 2 days x.x so hard to keep myself foccused on that, but on the days that i do it, listening to music is something that helps me keep going. Whenever i start i continue easily, the problem is finding the motivation to start the workout.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DrSloth For This Useful Post:

Zapdos (04-14-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    84 times
    Time Online
    14d 15h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by My name is Yoshikage Kira View Post
    Started off the same motivation, ever since getting on BC I have gained a significant amount of weight
    I would get sad seeing old pictures of myself and how small I was. Another reason is because I can feel the negative effects of the weight on my knees, need to curb it now before it becomes a permanent problem

I've been playing a ton of VR workout games, going on walks and just moving around more in general. Doubling it with counting calories and watching what I eat
    I hate working out so it's something I need to trick my brain into doing lol

Sadly no weight loss yet because the BC, but I have soo much more energy.
    I can feel it in my knees too!!! Luckily I can feel the opposite happening as I get better! I would also suggest talking to your Doctor about the BC! I was on one once that made me gain a lot and it made me super moody and honestly a little crazy. It was no fun. Once I had my meds changed I was in a much better place! Keep doing what you are doing, you fabulous human!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
    Congrats in getting back into working out and the weight loss! It is always hard. I am struggling myself to get back into it now. I've had to take a few weeks off due to injury. So the hardest part is totally getting back into it. What motivated me to get back into it was I noticed I was getting into a funk and my mood was just trash. I found once I got back into it I had more energy for my kiddo which continued to motivate me more.

If you need more motivation or want to share your progress or workouts your doing feel free to join us on this thread as well! (you need an account to see links). It's a great place for us all to keep motivating each other
    Oh my goodness! A forum for motivation! I am so excited! Thank you for sharing this!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrSloth View Post
    OH i'm definetly gonna check this board more times for motivation, i've been feeling bad with myself since before quarantine started and lately it has been harder to deal with, i tried starting just a bit of exercising but i can never keep it for more than 2 days x.x so hard to keep myself foccused on that, but on the days that i do it, listening to music is something that helps me keep going. Whenever i start i continue easily, the problem is finding the motivation to start the workout.
    I feel you on that! This time something is a little different, which is great! When I am not motivated to do the workout, I just walk in and hit play on whatever program I am doing. I literally stand there like a blob, not wanting any of it, but 5 min later I'm doing it and its just happening. And that's just where I have to be sometimes. As long as I do it, I do it!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    184 times
    Time Online
    127d 13h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 20m
    Congrats on your fitness progress!

I used to be a couch potato who never paid attention to what I ate because I was naturally lean. But then I started auditioning for NFL cheerleading teams in the United States and fitness + overall appearance is judged in addition to dance ability. (you need an account to see links).

My favorite workout is barre because it's dance based, but I also enjoy pilates and HIIT. This is in addition to the dance classes I regularly take in ballet, jazz, hip hop, and contemporary.

My aspiration to one day be on a professional cheerleading team is what motivates me the most. I've also made a lot of friends from auditioning and sometimes we take dance classes and do workouts together. I think that being in a community where everyone has similar goals has significantly helped me stay on track. Besides working on my dance goals, I have noticed the health benefits of maintaining a better lifestyle; my mood and alertness have gotten so much better. Because I'm feeling better, I'm also able to be more productive and accomplish more.

Chanel the Ryugotchi by (you need an account to see links)
    yassified-o-lantern by (you need an account to see links)
    Userbar by (you need an account to see links)

Chanel was hatched 11/15/2020

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sephora For This Useful Post:

Charmander (04-15-2021),Zapdos (04-14-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    84 times
    Time Online
    14d 15h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephora View Post
    Congrats on your fitness progress!

I used to be a couch potato who never paid attention to what I ate because I was naturally lean. But then I started auditioning for NFL cheerleading teams in the United States and fitness + overall appearance is judged in addition to dance ability. (you need an account to see links).

My favorite workout is barre because it's dance based, but I also enjoy pilates and HIIT. This is in addition to the dance classes I regularly take in ballet, jazz, hip hop, and contemporary.

My aspiration to one day be on a professional cheerleading team is what motivates me the most. I've also made a lot of friends from auditioning and sometimes we take dance classes and do workouts together. I think that being in a community where everyone has similar goals has significantly helped me stay on track. Besides working on my dance goals, I have noticed the health benefits of maintaining a better lifestyle; my mood and alertness have gotten so much better. Because I'm feeling better, I'm also able to be more productive and accomplish more.
    I am learning to like HIIT, which luckily helps with my lack of cardio in life! I've been going to 9Rounds and doing some HIIT and kickboxing which has added some and I wear my apple or garmin and if I see I didn't burn as much in my workout as I'd like, I try to add a mile or so on the treadmill which seems to help.

It's awesome you have a set goal in front of you! My main goal is that I'm approaching my mid thirties and I am honestly just not ready to just let myself go yet. I still want to feel good about myself and have that energy. I can't be a potato yet.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    184 times
    Time Online
    127d 13h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 20m
    @(you need an account to see links) Thanks for sharing! I was taught that fitness and nutrition both contribute 50%, but that's interesting that the scientific community has found that nutrition contributes more.

It's very fitting that your username is Lettuce!

Currently I don't need to lose weight and I have been gaining weight in a good way (becoming more muscular), but there was a time when I always tried to eat the lowest calorie meal I possibly could. I later learned that depriving myself of healthy carbs and fats is not good either and I was probably slowing my metabolism down by not getting the proper nutrition. Now I know better - eating healthy means consuming well balanced meals with the right portion sizes in all food groups.

I think it all comes down to the person's goals. I remember when I changed my diet and exercise regimen in preparation for my first pro-cheer audition and my mom (a reasonably healthy person) thought I was being extreme and asked why I needed to look like a model. Most dancers who show up at these auditions eat very healthy and workout rigorously.

Chanel the Ryugotchi by (you need an account to see links)
    yassified-o-lantern by (you need an account to see links)
    Userbar by (you need an account to see links)

Chanel was hatched 11/15/2020

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sephora For This Useful Post:

Lettuce (04-14-2021)

Gyaoo!
    Pronouns
    【she ⚡ her】
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    330 times
    Time Online
    52d 6h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Great thread idea! Getting out of a bad relationship and learning to love myself was my biggest motivator, I'd gained 20kgs over 2 years and couldn't stand to see myself in the mirror. I started going to the gym, dropped a few kilos, but the rest didn't budge until I changed my diet (darn you iced coffees!). As soon as I did, along with working out a few times a week, I shed 12kgs in a few months! I've kept up my workout schedule and diet as I never want to go back to feeling that awful, and a few years later I'm still the same healthy weight, just maybe more muscular lol

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links)

Thank you Zenitsu and Greyfaerie for my siggy UBs respectively!
    Thank you Hollow for the vector art!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zapdos For This Useful Post:

Ambient (04-14-2021),Lettuce (04-14-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    84 times
    Time Online
    14d 15h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephora View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) Thanks for sharing! I was taught that fitness and nutrition both contribute 50%, but that's interesting that the scientific community has found that nutrition contributes more.

It's very fitting that your username is Lettuce!

Currently I don't need to lose weight and I have been gaining weight in a good way (becoming more muscular), but there was a time when I always tried to eat the lowest calorie meal I possibly could. I later learned that depriving myself of healthy carbs and fats is not good either and I was probably slowing my metabolism down by not getting the proper nutrition. Now I know better - eating healthy means consuming well balanced meals with the right portion sizes in all food groups.

I think it all comes down to the person's goals. I remember when I changed my diet and exercise regimen in preparation for my first pro-cheer audition and my mom (a reasonably healthy person) thought I was being extreme and asked why I needed to look like a model. Most dancers who show up at these auditions eat very healthy and workout rigorously.
    I was the same way for years! I went from someone who was underweight my whole life, to about 20 lbs overweight after my first kid and I thought not eating would fix it. It was a rough few years. I am now in a gain muscle stage as well. It can be a little discouraging at times, because my arms, butt, legs and shoulders are really starting to look so much better than they have... But I have two kids and my stomach is NOT cooperating. I've been on a healthier diet and everything, but skin as a lot harder to tighten now. But I just keep reminding myself what I've done and to keep pushing!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zapd0s View Post
    Great thread idea! Getting out of a bad relationship and learning to love myself was my biggest motivator, I'd gained 20kgs over 2 years and couldn't stand to see myself in the mirror. I started going to the gym, dropped a few kilos, but the rest didn't budge until I changed my diet (darn you iced coffees!). As soon as I did, along with working out a few times a week, I shed 12kgs in a few months! I've kept up my workout schedule and diet as I never want to go back to feeling that awful, and a few years later I'm still the same healthy weight, just maybe more muscular lol
    I need to get myself back on a better diet. I was doing great, but somewhere along the way, some snacking returned and that really got me! Great job kicking butt and using a bad situation to your advantage and taking the time to love and care for yourself. That makes me happy!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ambient For This Useful Post:

Lettuce (04-14-2021),Sephora (04-14-2021),Zapdos (04-14-2021)