Thread: source on the origin of aisha's name?

Pronouns
    they/them or he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    71 times
    Time Online
    6d 16h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    8m

source on the origin of aisha's name?

i could SWEAR it was from a very dark song about someone stalking a woman named aisha, but of course, now that i'm trying to tell my partner, google is all 'lol idk what u mean :3'

halp @_@

edit: bam! bit of a bumpy road, but mamabear provided the interview i was remembering.

here's the song the beloved neopet got its name from.

Last edited by Hare; 04-12-2021 at 04:06 AM. Reason: it features iggy pop! isnt that fun.
    Pip!
    Pip! Hatched April 9, 2021, as a Chameleon!
    Was magically transformed into a Bunny April 16, 2021! I'll add the other dates soon!
    *hop, hop, hop*(you need an account to see links)

please message me with additions to the high risk list! i try to keep it updated <3

i update my song pretty frequently! let me know if you like it, or if you have something you think i'll like! <3

(yell at me to draw pls)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    i could SWEAR it was from a very dark song about someone stalking a woman named aisha, but of course, now that i'm trying to tell my partner, google is all 'lol idk what u mean :3'

halp @_@
    (you need an account to see links)

I don't see how the origin can be from a contemporary song when it's been part of Muslim culture for centuries. *shrug* It may have also been used in a song, but that doesn't make it the origin. There's a Saints Row mission regarding dealing with a character called Aisha's stalker. Maybe that's the pop culture reference with which you're confused.

Gyaoo!
    Pronouns
    【she ⚡ her】
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    330 times
    Time Online
    52d 7h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post

I don't see how the origin can be from a contemporary song when it's been part of Muslim culture for centuries. *shrug* It may have also been used in a song, but that doesn't make it the origin. There's a Saints Row mission regarding dealing with a character called Aisha's stalker. Maybe that's the pop culture reference with which you're confused.
    I'm guessing Hare thought the song was the origin. I definitely didn't know it was a Muslim cultural thing, today I learned!

Thank you Zenitsu and Greyfaerie for my siggy UBs respectively!
    Thank you Hollow for the vector art!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zapdos For This Useful Post:

Aero (04-12-2021),ApertureScience (04-12-2021),Cat Purrson (04-12-2021),dustyc (04-12-2021)

Pronouns
    they/them or he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    71 times
    Time Online
    6d 16h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    guh. got moderation queue'd but

so we're all clear: i don't think neo was the first use of 'aisha' and i'm sure it's culturally significant. i'm not THAT daft, drunk though i am.
    i am specifically asking if anyone can provide a source on an old interview wherein adam/donna reveal that aisha SPECIFICALLY GOT ITS NAME AS A NEOPET from a song with the mentioned subject matter.

i read this years ago and my mind isn't the most stable place but i could swear i read an official source on this.

i don't want to hear about religion and all that, i'm not that dumb to think neopets invented the name. it's a cultural name. i get that. i never thought neopets was 'the origin' of this specific five letter combination. god.

saints row is baller tho
    Pip!
    Was magically transformed into a Bunny April 16, 2021! I'll add the other dates soon!

please message me with additions to the high risk list! i try to keep it updated <3

i update my song pretty frequently! let me know if you like it, or if you have something you think i'll like! <3

(yell at me to draw pls)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hare For This Useful Post:

ApertureScience (04-12-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    guh. got moderation queue'd but

so we're all clear: i don't think neo was the first use of 'aisha' and i'm sure it's culturally significant. i'm not THAT daft, drunk though i am.
    i am specifically asking if anyone can provide a source on an old interview wherein adam/donna reveal that aisha SPECIFICALLY GOT ITS NAME AS A NEOPET from a song with the mentioned subject matter.

i read this years ago and my mind isn't the most stable place but i could swear i read an official source on this.

i don't want to hear about religion and all that, i'm not that dumb to think neopets invented the name. it's a cultural name. i get that. i never thought neopets was 'the origin' of this specific five letter combination. god.

saints row is baller tho
    PandaBearVoid: I was wondering, what went into the creation of the pet species? Where did you get the inspiration for the names, designs, colours etc.

Donna: Haha. It really varied. The first few pets were really easy to come up with. We didnt have an existing fan base so we could just do what we wanted. Didnt have to consider if the new design was too similar to something we already had etc. The latter pets were a real headache. I think that was why we didn't add a new pet unless we had a land or major storyline to go along with it at the end.

Names.. Adam and I hate naming things. It always has been the bane of our life. Our 2nd kid was 5 weeks old before he had a name! The names come from all over. Wocky is from Jabberwocky, Scorchio is from a Fast Show sketch, Aisha is from a Death in Vegas song we were listening to. I don't know why, the lyrics are "I am a murderer, Aisha, etc" doesn't really fit with cute cat-like creature when you think of it. Colours either came from an idea Adam and I had, or something one of the artists drew and looked good.
    Source: (you need an account to see links)

I googled: Adam Donna how neopets got their names

Your reply is a bit rude. You used the word origin and didn't specify that you were talking about Neopets. Maybe don't post when drunk, or post more carefully, if you don't want people to misinterpret your intentions.

Pronouns
    they/them or he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    71 times
    Time Online
    6d 16h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
    Source: (you need an account to see links)

I googled: Adam Donna how neopets got their names

Your reply is a bit rude. You used the word origin and didn't specify that you were talking about Neopets. Maybe don't post when drunk, or post more carefully, if you don't want people to misinterpret your intentions.
    "Aisha is from a Death in Vegas song we were listening to. I don't know why, the lyrics are "I am a murderer, Aisha, etc" doesn't really fit with cute cat-like creature when you think of it. "
    there it is, that's what i was looking for, cheers. knew i wasn't fuckin' imagining this.

i mean...it's...hopefully pretty obvious on a neopets cheating forum that i would be looking for the origin of a neopet's name???

honestly you sounded very rude to me, implying i thought neopets must be the origin of this five letter sequence and must be confused + including a let me google that for you link + talking about how this name is an ancient muslim thing and my white bum ought to have known better

like..

???

i might be drunk but that doesn't make me stupid or completely incapable of logic/reason/etc, thanks @_@

anyway.

thanks for linking me the source i was looking for uwu
    nothing i was googling was turning it up, but there it was
    no confusion about muslim language origins or whatever involved. neato.

edit: real talk though, saints row IS a bitchin' fuckin' series...play the third if nothing else, you won't regret it
    Last edited by Hare; 04-12-2021 at 03:43 AM. Reason: i gotta rep saints row when it's relevant ok if you know, you know
    Pip!

(yell at me to draw pls)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hare For This Useful Post:

ApertureScience (04-12-2021),Cat Purrson (04-12-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    I just wanted to say Saints Row the Third and Saints Row 2 are two of my all time favorite games

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    551d 1h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Well, huh, I always associated with the "Aisha, Aisha, écoute moi?" (sp?) song, though didn't think it was necessarily the inspiration for the pet. I don't think I've heard the other, but it's too early in the morning for me to check.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    93d 23h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    I don't want to stir up anything but calling Aisha "an ancient muslim thing" is a bit rude imho. Aisha was one of the wives of the Islamic founder and prophet Muhammad. Of course Adam and Donna didn't name their Aisha after her, but it is the same name (and the same name of the song).

Ummie and Vape made by the awesome GWN

my own special userbar made by Lyrichord
    and the awesomest ryus made by GWN, Infected & Lyrichord

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

Aero (04-12-2021),Cat Purrson (04-12-2021),Hare (04-12-2021),Mama Bear (04-12-2021)

Pronouns
    they/them or he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    71 times
    Time Online
    6d 16h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by 20 characters long View Post
    I don't want to stir up anything but calling Aisha "an ancient muslim thing" is a bit rude imho. Aisha was one of the wives of the Islamic founder and prophet Muhammad. Of course Adam and Donna didn't name their Aisha after her, but it is the same name (and the same name of the song).
    ah yeah, i was bristling a bit about it even being brought up since it wasn't relevant to the question i was asking and it felt like i was being scolded for not knowing who Aisha was, but i acknowledge how i phrased it was a bit wack. sorry about that, and hey, today i learned! thanks for bringing it up <3
    (i just woke up so I'm sorry if my wording is still terrible guh. genuinely)

Quote Originally Posted by Goddammit View Post
    I just wanted to say Saints Row the Third and Saints Row 2 are two of my all time favorite games
    fuck yes!!!
    Pip!

(yell at me to draw pls)

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hare For This Useful Post:

ApertureScience (04-12-2021),Cat Purrson (04-12-2021),Erik. (04-12-2021),Stardew (04-12-2021)