44/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    32d 10h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto View Post
    What a neat idea @(you need an account to see links)!

I have not read Midnight Library, but it sounds vaguely familiar, somehow.

I am currently rereading The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. I know that Circe really made the rounds when it came out (and I've read it!) but I think that Song of Achilles is better written and more compelling. I would argue that it's one of the best love stories I've ever read - I weep every time because everything about the way that the characters are written and brought together is :chef's kiss:.
    This at the top of my TBR list! There's not enough antiquity romance out there, and I hope this novel inspires other authors to maybe ditch the regency period and Middle Ages as their setting, and maaaybe explore regions outside the English speaking world.

Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    I started Midnight Library for the same reasons you did, and I disliked it quite a bit (I got about 50 pages in before giving up on it). It was just very obviously written and filled with cliches. I was really disappointed considering the loads of praise.

What I did enjoy, though, was a book I just finished called (you need an account to see links) by Liu Cixin. If you're into science fiction, check it out

(you need an account to see links)
    Picked this up on a whim in the book store, and did not expect my mind to be blown. What delicious sci-fi! Looking forward to David Benioff and D. B. Weiss' butchering this!

Quote Originally Posted by 20 characters long View Post
    Cool thread! I'm currently reading a book on the village Montaillou - which was one of the last Cathar (heretics) thresholds in the early 14th century until the Inquisition wiped them all out. What's fascinating is that this time the Inquisition, under guidance of Jacques Fournier, the bishop of Pamiers who later became Pope Benedict XII (and was a rigid ass-hat), collected and wrote down all witness statements, which were a lot, so that we really know a lot about how people lived back then, what they did during the day, what they thought, with whom they fought, who had sex with whom and why etc. It really brings people who lived 700 years ago back to life. Almost like The Hills but then during the Middle Ages lol.
    We discussed this during an introductory course for history, and this really sparked my interest for microhistory. I should add this to my TBR list.

Currently (re)reading The Incarnations by Susan Barker. I do not understand the negative one star reviews on Goodreads that try to compare this to Cloud Atlas and then get disappointed. It has similar themes, but that doesn't mean that the author tried to write the next Cloud Atlas. The ones that gave one star reviews due to there being darker themes that may trigger people I also fail to understand. We currently live in the most peaceful time compared to the rest of the history of humankind, could be way more dangerous and violent. Anyway, I love this book, and when I first bought it I finished it on the same day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dot For This Useful Post:

Erik. (04-27-2021)

Pronouns
    he/him, they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    3h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I just finished House In The Cerulean Sea and I'd recommend it to anyone! It was a fun and compelling read, and I loved the characterization in it a lot.

Currently, I'm working my way through the Darker Shade of Magic trilogy by V.E. Schwab. I'm not super far in, but I'm having a good time so far!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    119d 7h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    Currently reading Gideon the Ninth, the plot and characters are interesting, but I'm having trouble finishing it because of the writing. Nothing wrong with it, but English isn't my first language and for some reason the writing in this book is harder to follow than what I'm used to.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    33d 17h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Right now I'm reading The Galaxy and the Ground Within. I really love the Wayfarers series and would definitely recommend it to anyone who's interested in science fiction. Becky Chambers is an amazing author, and her works covers a lot more diverse subject matter than traditional sci-fi, so if you wish sci-fi was more inclusive, then the first book in the series, A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, is perfect for you! It includes polyamorous Sapphic aliens.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 8h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Update on my list: finished up Axiom's End a few days ago. It was fine. I enjoyed it but it...wasn't great. The next one I'm going for is Plain Bad Heroines.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    So I love greek mythology a lot and am obsessed with a webcomic called Lore Olympus. Through some of the FB groups, I gathered some recommendations for a series by Scarlett St. Clair. The first book, A Touch of Darkness, I finished yesterday and now I'm waiting for the other two that I've ordered to come. We also just recently ordered the Invincible graphic novel compendiums but they're arriving all out of order so I have to wait to read those.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    1d 20h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Currently listening to two audiobooks: Treasure Island (fresh off a Black Sails kick, needed the sequel lol), and The Anatomy of Fascism by Robert O. Paxton

Also reading One Hundred Years of Solitude (this is my 3rd time trying to get through it.... the farthest I've ever gone), Feminist Theory from Margin to Center, and I'm at the very beginning of The Odyssey

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    93d 8h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 34m
    I'm about to start reading Dune, it's been sitting in my bookshelf forever and I've never read it before.

There is no trash cannot, only
    TRASH CAN

Special thanks to lyrichord for the amazing userbar avatar & honeycomb for the cutest drawing!

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Does a web novel count as a book? lol! I am currently reading Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint, and I'm almost halfway done.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    85/0
    Mentioned
    198 times
    Time Online
    95d 2h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Lincoln on the Verge

Cashew
    Hatched: 11-14-2020

Thank you (you need an account to see links) for the adoptables!