Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    22h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Stuffed animals and other comfort items

As a 27 year old adult, I still sleep with dolls, stuffed animals, and comfort blankets. I have various stuffed animals and objects that bring me comfort. My all time favorite is a Sephiroth plushie that I've had since I was 13; he's been with me everywhere. Hospital, school, Hawaii, everywhere! He's dirty and ugly, and I don't usually take him outside of my room unless I'm sleeping somewhere else for that night, but I love him and he's probably the one item I'd rescue from a fire if I could only save one object. Currently, my big comfort item that i carry around the house is a bright yellow bootleg pokemon blanket that came stuffed inside an equally bootleg Jigglypuff plushie that I ordered from Singapore-- I was lucky to get two. The other one is in a Snorlax plush! I like to tie it around my shoulders like a cape to keep me warm as I don't have any reason to wander the house in anything other than my pajamas.

What was your favorite stuffed animal/toy/comfort item as a child? Do you still have a stuffed animal/toy/comfort item that you still turn to for comfort when you're distressed?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goose For This Useful Post:

Erik. (03-29-2021),glittery (03-29-2021),Sunny Villa (03-29-2021),Zapdos (03-29-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    As a toddler, my toy of choice was a blue elephant aptly named Blue Elephant. My daughter has one (ladybug pillow pet whose tag she strokes for comfort) but my son doesn't. As an adult, it strikes me as very odd to have a continuing requirement for a comfort toy. That is not to insult or belittle those adults who do, but my own experiences find the suggestion to be foreign to my sensibilities. My natural reaction was very much:

Not in that I rely on my husband to sleep, but that the things which are impressive or cool as a child are the same things we typically grow out of with time.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Erik. (03-29-2021),Goose (03-31-2021),RealisticError (03-29-2021)

Gyaoo!
    Pronouns
    【she ⚡ her】
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    330 times
    Time Online
    52d 6h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Interesting thread idea!

I have a stuffed Russ Berrie cat that I got as a 9 year old from Grace Brothers. It sat in my cupboard for years, never used up until a few years back when I went through an extremely rough patch, and suddenly it came out again. This may seem overstated, but this plushie helped save my life. I finally allowed myself to have a comfort item (too much shame as a child), and it came with me on my long recovery. Now it sits on my bed, and I give it a cuddle when I'm feeling very overwhelmed or lonely.

Crazy how inanimate objects can become so special for so many!
    Last edited by Zapdos; 03-29-2021 at 04:30 AM. Reason: spelling

(you need an account to see links)

Thank you Zenitsu and Greyfaerie for my siggy UBs respectively!
    Thank you Hollow for the vector art!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zapdos For This Useful Post:

Erik. (03-29-2021)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    937 times
    Time Online
    116d 6h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    I have an unending plethora of plushies. Most are primarily kept for collecting purposes (my massive Squishable collection) or simple nostalgia, but when I was a kid I mainly slept with a blankie and this white polar bear plushie I named Panda. (Because when I got it I was in a bad mood and we went to a restaurant and the wooden chopstick wrapper had a panda logo on it why do I remember this so vividly)

Now as an adult I have a lot of plushies still scattered around my bed (and I do say around bc mfkers can't stay on top without rolling off) but I usually only rely on them for comfort if my hub isn't around to grab onto. XD

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Erik. (03-29-2021),Goose (03-31-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Weirdly enough, the stuffed animal that has taken up residence in my bed isn't even one I had as a child. Growing up my dog slept in my room and when I went off to college my mom sent me a plushie that looked like him. He became kind of a comfort item after my dog died, but not in the same way childhood stuffed animals are. I do hold/hug at night sometimes if he's the right size to get my arms comfy, but I also use pillows/blankets/whatever else to serve that purpose depending on the night and particular positioning of myself/things in bed. I have a real-life animal (cat) who sleeps with me every night like a living breathing comfort animal mixed with weighted blanket.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Erik. (03-29-2021),Ice (03-29-2021),Stardew (03-29-2021),Zapdos (03-29-2021)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    93d 20h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    Lots of Pok�mon plushies I see <3 Myself, I still have my white cat plushie I used to sleep with as a toddler. His name is "Poekie", from the Tale of Tom Kitten (whom is called Poekie Poes in Dutch). He's usually on my bed, though I banish him to my closet when I have a date sleeping over. I also still have an old hare plush I bring with me every time I move, and I have this plushie toy that was my late cat's favorite (she carried it wherever she went), who died really young so I just can't let go of it... I used to have lots of plushies when I was younger, me and my sister had four moving boxes full of them. We gave a lot to our dog later lol

Edit: Oh reading @(you need an account to see links) ' post about the Rush Berrie plush just brought back a memory when I got another white cat plushie (I think it was also a Rush Berrie) from a friend when I was 7 or 8 and I wanted it and Poekie to be brothers or a couple and played with them all the time, until a week later my mom discovered the other plushie and threw it away because it was "dirty". Needless to say my heart was broken (I didn't know better as a kid but my mom was a germophobe. She could've just washed it but then again there were lots of weird things we had to do and endure).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    I have an unending plethora of plushies. Most are primarily kept for collecting purposes (my massive Squishable collection) or simple nostalgia, but when I was a kid I mainly slept with a blankie and this white polar bear plushie I named Panda. (Because when I got it I was in a bad mood and we went to a restaurant and the wooden chopstick wrapper had a panda logo on it why do I remember this so vividly)

Now as an adult I have a lot of plushies still scattered around my bed (and I do say around bc mfkers can't stay on top without rolling off) but I usually only rely on them for comfort if my hub isn't around to grab onto. XD
    A polar bear plushie called Panda is incredibly cute :3
    Last edited by Erik.; 03-29-2021 at 01:12 PM.

Ummie and Vape made by the awesome GWN

my own special userbar made by Lyrichord
    and the awesomest ryus made by GWN, Infected & Lyrichord

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

Ice (03-29-2021),Zapdos (03-29-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    33d 4h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post

I freaking love Squishables omg
    I submitted a design to them actually for their open source contest but was rejected xD
    how do u display yours?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to glittery For This Useful Post:

Ice (03-29-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    I sleep with a stuffed sloth my fiance got me when I was going through a depressive episode and a black cat build a bear my best friend got me when my black cat ran away ;-;

I loved stuffed animals. I don't sleep with a lot of them because there isnt room on my bed now lol. When I was a kid though it was a different story. I had so many stuffed animals my mom would make me put some away in a big tote and circulate which ones I had out. My favorites were Yum Yum, a stuffed white kitty that had peppermint patterns on her ears and tummy and when you scratched them they smelled like peppermint. I want to buy a Yum Yum again and I check ebay every so often but the only ones up there are either knock off yum yums or original yum yums but theyre like $70. My other stuffed animal was Tony the Tiger who was actually a cheetah and I had him for a long time. I'm talking way back before I can remember. I still slept with him as a teenager til my psychopath little sister got mad at me for some benign reason and decided to behead him. So that was fun.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

Erik. (03-29-2021),Zapdos (03-29-2021)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    937 times
    Time Online
    116d 6h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by glittery View Post
    I freaking love Squishables omg
    I submitted a design to them actually for their open source contest but was rejected xD
    how do u display yours?
    so re:too many plushies problem, when I moved into my current place I desperately needed a better way to store/display my stuffed animals and for the bulk of them, including my squishables, I opted for getting 2 sets of shelves like these (except I got lower and longer version) to hold them lol. (you need an account to see links)

I haven't bought a new squishable in years but I collected the sea creatures! For the full sizes I have the original killer whale/orca, original shark, original octopus, jellyfish, crab, stingray, baby seal, and a pumpkin (lol). And then minis I have 2 lobsters, 2 octopuses, the whale shark, and a snow bunny. xD

Ooh I remember seeing a bunch of really cool designs come out of the open squish project! Sorry to hear yours was rejected D:

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

glittery (03-30-2021)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    138 times
    Time Online
    59d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    27m
    I feel like for people with anxiety, depression, autism, mental or physical health problems, etc. or just because they like it... a comfort object is one of the least harmful ways to cope with certain things. Weighted blankets, weighted plushies, soft stuffed animals... you do you!

I also feel like our generation (millennials, assuming most people here fall in that generation) are very much of the "I liked this as a kid, I'm not a totally new and different person now that I'm an adult, and I still like this, so why the hell not" mindset. If it's not harming anyone, and you like it, then... why not?
    Lots of people our age seem to enjoy more "childish" hobbies like collecting action figures, dolls, Lego, plushies, and other things like that with no shame! Lots of people still sleep with stuffed animals, too. (though some are more embarrassed about it than others... haha)

I personally have kept some of my favorite stuffed animals from when I was a child and I could never throw them away. I don't sleep with them, but I can hug one if I'm having a bad day and I think there's nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by Stardew; 03-29-2021 at 02:32 PM.

🌜 ALL YOUR STARDROP ARE BELONG TO ME ⭐✨
    hatched as drake: 01.11.2021

Guides by me: (you need an account to see links) | (you need an account to see links)

ty Dita ♥

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stardew For This Useful Post:

Erik. (03-29-2021),glittery (03-29-2021),Goddammit (03-29-2021),Hare (03-29-2021),kittyray (03-29-2021),Stardust (04-02-2021),Zapdos (03-29-2021)