5/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    10d 17h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

Moving to a new country - Tips?

This past year I was able to finally finish my Bachelors degree. After a drunken night and a lot of courage, I applied to a masters program in England.... and was accepted.

So, this fall, I'll be moving from the US to the UK and I am *so* overwhelmed. I know there's a lot of things I need to take care of, and I'm struggling to find answers to all of my questions... and I need tips.
    I know living in/near London is expensive, and so is commuting into London via bus or train. My brain is spinning with the unknowns and variables.

Has anyone studied abroad before?

Do you live in London/England and can you offer advice?

I need your help

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    189 times
    Time Online
    85d 5h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 34m
    I've never lived in the UK so I hope others can chime in, but I just wanted to say congratulations! Congratulations on both completing your bachelors and being accepted into a masters program. I hope your move goes smoothly!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

caitlin (03-16-2021)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Congratulations on getting accepted into the masters program! Sounds like it will be a great opportunity!

I can't comment on the UK specifically, but with regards to moving to another country, I can recommend a few things:

- Plan to stay in an AirBNB for the first 2-3 weeks or so, to give yourself a chance to check out places in person before signing any sort of lease. Pick a central location for the AirBNB so you can get around easily for the transitional period.

- Figure out what to do for currency/funds, whether this is open a bank account there or find a bank in your current country that can work for this specific move. Bring enough cash to last 4-6 weeks in case there are any delays with getting a bank account set up or accessing funds.

- The school can probably also set you up with a contact there (usually an older student) or offer some specific advice for that region.

- Most everything else will fall into place !

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gorilla For This Useful Post:

Aero (03-16-2021),Anybody (03-16-2021),caitlin (03-16-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    10d 17h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    Congratulations on getting accepted into the masters program! Sounds like it will be a great opportunity!

I can't comment on the UK specifically, but with regards to moving to another country, I can recommend a few things:

- Plan to stay in an AirBNB for the first 2-3 weeks or so, to give yourself a chance to check out places in person before signing any sort of lease. Pick a central location for the AirBNB so you can get around easily for the transitional period.

- Figure out what to do for currency/funds, whether this is open a bank account there or find a bank in your current country that can work for this specific move. Bring enough cash to last 4-6 weeks in case there are any delays with getting a bank account set up or accessing funds.

- The school can probably also set you up with a contact there (usually an older student) or offer some specific advice for that region.

- Most everything else will fall into place !
    The AirBnB tip is helpful, thank you!

I'm already vaccinated here in the US, though I'm not sure if that means in terms of quarantining upon arrival... More to look in to!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to caitlin For This Useful Post:

Gorilla (03-16-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    9d 23h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Congrats!! That sounds so exciting. I'm sure you'll adapt great, especially since both countries are English speaking.
    I've never been to the UK, so other than sharing your excitement I can't give any valuable advice. Good luck!!