Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    9m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It seems to me that society is already confused about what is offensive. If a person is proud of the fact that he accepts a relationship exclusively with the opposite sex and considers it the only right decision, he is entitled to it. Others should not perceive his position as offensive.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    9d 4h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m

Super Straight?

Quote Originally Posted by Zachafer View Post
    Wikipedia's article on Intersex states The number of births with ambiguous genitals is in the range of 0.02% to 0.05%. I don't think the super straight definition really considered this rare medical condition. My interpretation is super straight excludes people who made a cognizant decision to undergo hormone therapy and/or sex reassignment surgery. Personally I am fine with someone identifying however they want, and I expect to have the same graces afforded to myself, be it straight, gay, super straight, super gay, non-smokers-only, doesn't-already-have-kids, etc. However when dating or searching for your potential life partner I think it's fair for someone to include/exclude people who have made decisions you agree/disagree with, beliefs contrary to yours (religion), mentalities that do not align with your own.

For debate purposes I don't have much interest in the term's origins. I think now that it's out there we should discuss it's definition at face value. It is not fair to assume someone using the term today is aware of its origins (i.e. myself)
    Replying because about 2% of the world population are red heads so when you think of it like that, intersex isn’t really as rare as you’d think.

As far as “super straight” I think of it as “monosexual”. I can’t get my head around being attracted to only one sex so I don’t know how natural it is or how much of it is a choice, but with those thoughts I wonder if I’m discounting gay people who truly are monosexual and it’s not really a choice.

I imagine most people who flaunt a super straight label do it to stir the pot, I don’t have much respect for it but at the same time I do have friends that cannot deal with certain genitals for whatever reason, but they don’t announce it because of how hurtful it could be.

Edit: I also just remembered when it comes to genitals I don’t think you can really tell if somebody has transitioned or not, so when it comes to preferences you’re just discounting trans people because you want to or making decisions based off misinformation like somebody said before. Anyway the term super straight definitely irks me.
    Last edited by Numbkins; 04-28-2021 at 06:46 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Numbkins For This Useful Post:

Sanctus (06-08-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I’m extremely suspicious of “super straight” as just like, a presentation of transphobia that’s trying to sneak away from how bigoted it is by tying it to an identity. I’m not straight but I am monosexual - I am fully, 100% gay, only ever attracted to women, and preference-wise generally femme for femme. Regardless, idc what genitals a potential partner has. There’s fun stuff to do with whatever might be going on down there.

It could be argued that I prefer the AFAB situation, but the same way someone might prefer brunettes - it’s a light preference that maybe is tied to a pattern in people I’m into but is nowhere near make or break level. My attraction to someone is pretty tied to femininity, so I do imagine that if I met a trans woman with no intention of ever doing hormone therapy it’s pretty unlikely I’d be attracted to her, but this is more tied to secondary sex characteristics like stubble. And that isn’t necessarily true even - Gia Gunn pre-transition is still feminine AF, and if she weren’t such a fucking idiot lmao is someone I could find attractive.

That to say, I feel like the concept of “only being into cis people” in most cases is probably born of latent transphobia, whether that’s conscious or not. Also unsure what the line is in “super straight/gay” - if a trans person gets bottom surgery do they magically switch from “def not attracted to” to “could potentially be attracted to”? I’m not saying that absolutely no one is repulsed by certain types of genitals, but if stigma around transness in general were removed I think it’s probably a much smaller minority than current polling would indicate.

Also, “which individuals am I actively attracted to” is a very different question than “what is my orientation”. If we’re talking like, to the point of being open to dating/intimacy with someone, I’m attracted to a very small fraction of the women I know. If we’re more talking like, finding someone hot, that percentage is much larger but still nowhere near 100. If I were to do the math on what characteristics these people have in common it would be like,

..and it strikes me as really bizarre to come in preemptively like “but I know for sure this whole demographic is out”. Kind of find it the same kind of gross as saying “I’d NEVER date X race”
    Last edited by Druid; 05-21-2021 at 01:50 PM.

thank you for the gay rights peo ♥ @honeycomb ♥

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Druid For This Useful Post:

Babaa (06-08-2021),Dot (06-12-2021),TsUNaMy WaVe (06-13-2021),Zapdos (04-28-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    10h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I agree with (you need an account to see links) in that it isn't inherently transphobic; people are allowed to have genital preferences just like they have racial or size preferences. I do think it is quite immature and reflects on the insecurity of that person moreso than anything else, however. It is also silly to assume that they will somehow be able to 'spot' a trans person on sight...
    Right now discourse about transgender people seems to be at a peak; eventually this will die down and people will stop trying to compensate about their views as much.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sanctus For This Useful Post:

funnybell (06-11-2021),Mossy_Rock (11-18-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus View Post
    I agree with (you need an account to see links) in that it isn't inherently transphobic; people are allowed to have genital preferences just like they have racial or size preferences. I do think it is quite immature and reflects on the insecurity of that person moreso than anything else, however. It is also silly to assume that they will somehow be able to 'spot' a trans person on sight...
    Right now discourse about transgender people seems to be at a peak; eventually this will die down and people will stop trying to compensate about their views as much.
    Having things like race and size as recurring patterns in the people you’re attracted to is one thing, but if you were to tack those onto the label for your orientation and say it was a hard and fast rule instead that’d be uhhhhhh dicey. Most of my partners have been thin white women - I am not ‘thinwhitewomansexual’ and the idea of trying to claim that in any way would make me such an asshole? Attraction is innate, no one is obligated to be into any given individual of course, and the stuff your attraction hormones or whatever respond to doesn’t necessarily have to be inclusive or PC. BUT making up labels to specify that exclusion doesn’t do anything but alienate people.

thank you for the gay rights peo ♥ @honeycomb ♥

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Druid For This Useful Post:

Dot (06-12-2021),funnybell (06-11-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    112/0
    Mentioned
    114 times
    Time Online
    28d 16h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    my only experience of "super straight" people are their tiktoks.... more like super cringe.

"super straight" only exists because their are people who are "super gay" and the straights feel left out. (see white pride) but the only reason people are super gay is because the LGBTQ community has been ostracized from society for the majority of time and space, and openly declaring how gay you are (gay pride) is a coping mechanism/sign of defiance towards oppression. what with the gays being more openly accepted and praised for their pride these days, being super straight is a reaction, at best ignorant and at worst bigoted

11. The Following User Says Thank You to funnybell For This Useful Post:

Zapdos (06-12-2021)

Pronouns
    Demon
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    109/0
    Mentioned
    106 times
    Time Online
    34d 20h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    i think i am super straight as i am only interested in opposite sex. but heard this term first time. and maybe its not a good idea to write it on your profiles and post every where that you are super straight and stuff. and i dont mind if someone is gay or super gay. their choice.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeLord For This Useful Post:

funnybell (06-12-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    48/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    The term never offended me. I do think people get overly sensitive from both sides in regards to this. But then maybe it's me trying too hard to avoid letting things bother me.