Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got accepted into the masters program!

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    127 times
    Time Online
    51d 20h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m

I got accepted into the masters program!

Yesterday was quite the day - some of you may have seen me post about it around the forum/discord about the masters program I was trying to get accepted into, this is about that, haha. I graduated last year on Veterinary Medicine, and have been planning to work on research and eventually become a professor since day one, and getting accepted on this program was a huge deal for me. I had been studying like crazy, and my test was scheduled for March 1st - it consisted of two parts, a debate about a scientific article and an interview; I thought I had been terrible (and still think I didn't get that good of a grade, but I'll have my official placement next week) but the support from the cK community and my RL friends was more than what I could have ever asked for, and you guys really helped me to keep my head up during this time; I really got no words thank you all.

Yesterday I got a call from the professor that would be my advisor if I passed and one of the heads of the department I wanted to join - my first thought was "fuck, he's going to tell me I didn't pass and that I should do a few masters' subjects on the side and try again next year", but to my surprise he called me to congratulate me and welcome me on the team! So hell yeah I did pass! I just achieved one of my major life goals, so I'm quite excited! This leads me to another situation though: my current job.

Warning: huge text coming, feel free to skip. Advice is very welcome though!

They were supposed to follow that "guide", but they didn't. On our first meeting to start out the semester, I was told I would have 3 classes that do not follow what I had chosen - they were after 6pm, so I wasn't happy but it was doable. That was until March came along - my boss told me I would be taking on students that missed classes and had some difficulty when learning English (I'll use MC/DLE for short lol), which meant I would be teaching students different students every single hour, 12h a week at first - with that, I would be working from 9am to 9pm on Mondays and Wednesdays, and from 9am to 7:30pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. That was clearly not what I signed up for - and, with that constant switching between students, I was terrified of what would happen, because I can't handle constant change very well. I talked to my therapist, and we came to the conclusion I should try to keep that up for a week and see how things roll; it didn't work though. I was having shutdowns left and right on the first two days.

I tried to talk to my boss about it, and told her I couldn't take on this many students - she told me it was ok, but a couple hours later she showed up in my 10-minute break in between classes to ask me if I could take some more of the MC/DLE classes because 12h wasn't enough to fit all the students; I told her I couldn't do it since I still needed some time to dedicate to myself and my masters, but not 30min later she texts me "take a look at your schedule and tell me if it's all good". She had signed me anyway for more MC/DLE classes. I didn't have any fucking time to even go to therapy, to my psychiatrist or to do some exercises. Not to mention the struggle with the constant change. I immediately texted my therapist and told her about it, she was just as confused as I was. I was still trying to take on all the hours my boss wanted me to because I have a hard time saying no and was still scared I'd get fired. That all happened last week.

Fast-forward to this week - I had a psychiatrist appointment on the 8th, and I told him about this mess. He wrote a report on why I shouldn't be teaching those classes because of ASD for me to give my boss, but then again, I'm too scared of what might happen if I turn that report in. I still need this job as I need the money, and I'm uncertain on how I should approach my boss about this, or if I even should bring up ASD as another fear of mine is that they will brush it off as I go out of my way to mask my true self, to a point where other teachers working there thinking I'm "cartoon-y".

One last detail: the head of the department wants me to take as many masters' subjects as I can to start the experiments asap so I have no clue how I'll fit that in with the crazy schedule my boss gave me. I told my supervisor there that I may need more time off classes if I passed my masters, but she just said "well I don't even want to think about that" so yeah.

Ps.: They still don't know I passed my masters - the head of the department told me to wait until the official results were in to announce it to people that are not family/close friends. Also, despite what is currently happening, it's a very nice place to work at - the team is very welcoming and I have a fairly good relationship with my boss and supervisor; they really don't have a single clue what's going on behind the scenes on my end though. They might be understanding, but seeing the proportion of the current situation I'm guessing this is highly unlikely, and they could also think I was trying to hide the fact I'm not neurotypical when I really just got an official diagnosis later in life.

Any takes on how I should proceed?

Edit: Added spoilers on the huge text about my job to make it easier on people who see this! Thanks again @(you need an account to see links) for this, I feel so honored to have my achievement on the Announcements. ;o;
    Last edited by Danny Phantom; 03-12-2021 at 06:38 PM.
    Amazing userbar by the talented (you need an account to see links)

P O L T E R G E I S T

• The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Danny Phantom For This Useful Post:

Aero (03-12-2021),Bakugo (03-24-2021),Bat (03-12-2021),Beth77 (04-04-2021),Bill (03-12-2021),Buizel (03-12-2021),Cookie Tray (03-13-2021),cuddlypanda (03-12-2021),Erik. (03-12-2021),Fabulous (03-14-2021),Gorilla (03-12-2021),Goten (03-14-2021),Hall (03-12-2021),Ice (03-12-2021),kopiko (03-13-2021),Mario2302 (03-13-2021),Menine (03-12-2021),My name is Yoshikage Kira (03-13-2021),Nattiee (03-12-2021),Nyanobyte                      (03-12-2021),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (03-12-2021),Sephora (03-12-2021),Stardust (03-13-2021)

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,761 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 41m
    I've moved this over to forum announcements, @(you need an account to see links). Your accomplishment deserves the highest of accolades! I hope that everyone else will join me in offering congratulations to you on such a momentous achievement!

• The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:

Bill (03-12-2021),Buizel (03-12-2021),Cat Purrson (03-13-2021),Cookie Tray (03-13-2021),Danny Phantom (03-12-2021),Erik. (03-12-2021),Nyanobyte                      (03-12-2021)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    127 times
    Time Online
    51d 20h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Thank you so much, @(you need an account to see links) ! I honestly don't even know how to thank you guys for all the support, this journey has been quite insane and I don't think I could have kept my head high without the kind words, memes and positivity from this community. My classes will most likely start in April, I'll fill you all in with the details of all the crazy themes about research and bacteria I'll be learning, haha!

P O L T E R G E I S T

• The Following User Says Thank You to Danny Phantom For This Useful Post:

Bat (03-12-2021)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    232 times
    Time Online
    95d 6h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    First of all:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy for you!!!! It sounds like an awesome masters program!!! I was about to go to bed but I'll think on that second part of your post tomorrow. Here's a celebration video to get the party starting in this thread:

Last edited by Erik.; 03-12-2021 at 06:21 PM.

Ummie and Vape made by the awesome GWN

my own special userbar made by Lyrichord
    and the awesomest ryus made by GWN, Infected & Lyrichord

• The Following User Says Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

Danny Phantom (03-12-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 8h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Aaaaaaah, congratulations @(you need an account to see links)! I know you've been working so hard on this and I'm so excited for you.

I'm sorry about the mess with your current job. I know the struggle of taking on too many classes/students, but I cannot begin to imagine the stress of having so many that are constantly changing. I'm not really sure the best way to go about approaching your boss about this, it doesn't really sound like she's listening to you.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Danny Phantom (03-12-2021),Erik. (03-12-2021)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    945 times
    Time Online
    116d 17h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    39m

• The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    711 times
    Time Online
    354d 15h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 12m
    Once again, congrats @(you need an account to see links) !!! ;A; I'm sure others can offer better advice than I could haha but I'm so happy for you passing.

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon
    (you need an account to see links)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Congratulations, @(you need an account to see links). Lifelong learning is crucial to developing ourselves to be the best we can.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    189 times
    Time Online
    85d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 34m
    Congratulations @(you need an account to see links)!!! What an incredible achievement and well-deserved after all your hard work!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

Cookie Tray (03-13-2021),Danny Phantom (03-12-2021)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    127 times
    Time Online
    51d 20h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Thank you all for celebrating this with me!

P O L T E R G E I S T

• The Following User Says Thank You to Danny Phantom For This Useful Post:

Erik. (03-13-2021)

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast