2/0
    Mentioned
    395 times
    Time Online
    78d 23h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m

what exactly is dappervolk?

can anyone explain the point of this website? i created an account but am turned off by all of the reading and all of the clicking you have to do. what is the goal? like obviously neopets is most popular for the pets & collecting, but i can't find anything on people's profiles on DV that seems worth the time/effort. the whole site is overwhelming to me.

Pronouns
    They/Them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    330 times
    Time Online
    313d 3h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 45m
    This (you need an account to see links) has a lot of good info for getting started!

I think the main point is that its a avatar creation/pet collection game with a lot of RPG elements. You go from town to town and complete the quests to progress in the game. In the towns you are given tasks like unlocking pets, increasing your stats, creating items etc that help you progress your character as well as get closer to unlocking more towns! It is certainly a click fest and it does get tired fast. A lot of people there enjoy creating accessories for their pets or selling their artwork. Its a little stagnant right now as everyone is more or less waiting for more of the main story line/quest content to be added.

On the profiles you have 'achievements' which give you something else to work towards. You get those for participating in site events, amount of forum posts, items alchemize etc. Little rewards for the more that you complete. In the towns you gain affection with towns folks the more you do for them, and you will hit milestones that unlock more quests and special items/rarer pets so that gives people some drive to keep interacting and working towards more long term goals. Its a very grindy style of gameplay.

Adding a goal: I think its to collect everything? Max out all NPC affections, fill up the (you need an account to see links), collect all the clothing items, achievements, and unlock recipes etc etc. Its just one big old effort to collect the things.
    Last edited by Nyanobyte; 03-11-2021 at 02:07 PM.

(you need an account to see links)
    ^ How to unlock and care for a Ryugotchi ^

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyanobyte For This Useful Post:

Bill (03-11-2021),Flordibel (03-11-2021),team rocket (03-11-2021)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    @(you need an account to see links) has a great explanation! I find it way more high-maintenance than Neo, which you can usually let sit for a while. The questing bit is the main mechanic of the game, which was a bit of a culture shock!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    she/high
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    395 times
    Time Online
    78d 23h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links)

thanks for the explanation! i kind of got the feeling it was heavily RPG-y, and i also got the artsy fartsy feel from it. i am not an artist and always feel super lackluster in achievements compared to the highly talented people. the art is amazing on there and i love the ~*aesthetic*~ of the fonts and colors, but it doesn't really sound like something that's necessarily up my alley. thanks guys.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to team rocket For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    4d 15h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    In short: a failure.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Natalie For This Useful Post:

MrSlowBro (03-12-2021),Oneiros (04-05-2021),Spohia (03-18-2021),team rocket (03-12-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    12d 4h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    It's a pet site with extremely gorgeous artwork, I'll give it that. It's why it was so popular when it first launched last year in the summer, everyone was hoping it'd be the next Neopets. I played it for a couple weeks before giving up. I still visit occasionally to check user activity -- it's depressing to see that there are only 200 or so users online at any given time. In the weeks after launch it used to number in the 2k-3k range.

Anyway, since all the peeps above have already explained what it is, here be a summary of why most people quit:

• The absurdly long grind of dailies - it takes an average of 3 hours. THREE. HOURS.

• The gacha gambling system: a pay-to-win game where once you buy DV's in-game currency with your real money, you are more likely to receive an item of less value than you paid for. This is the other big bad that drove everyone away.

• Once you finish your dailies, you're so burnt out that there is no appeal to giving more of your time to the site. This is compounded by the fact that there just isn't anything that interesting to do after dailies.

• Very few pet customization options & activities - unless you're an artist which allows you to draw custom features for your pet (this was cool until I remembered I'm not an artist), there are actually more options for your user avatar. Some people have said that it's more accurate to call DV an avatar site, not a pet site.

• Staff do not listen to user feedback. Everyone has been saying since the launch to shorten the daily grind and fix or at least remove the gacha system. The few times they respond it's the equivalent of "we're listening to you but we're changing nothing".

• Even though DV employs tons of people, only ONE person is in charge of drawing all the art -- the creator of the site, Quisling. Not only does this slow down improvements that could be made, it doesn't make sense when you can just hire artists to copy your style. She has the Kickstarter money.

If you have some time to kill, (you need an account to see links)

Now, Quisling has had a bit of a turbulent past -- mainly that she deliberately, publicly sabotaged artwork she was meant to give as a gift. She got away with it and doubled down on her actions when questioned, and has never apologized to this day. If this sounds confusing, (you need an account to see links) and also (you need an account to see links).

Don't tell anyone, but I have a hunch that DV staff want to improve the site but can't because Quisling can't admit she was wrong.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinkpain For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (03-26-2021),Natalie (04-14-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    12d 4h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    It's a pet site with extremely gorgeous artwork, I'll give it that. It's why it was so popular when it first launched last year in the summer, everyone was hoping it'd be the next Neopets. I played it for a couple weeks before giving up. I still visit occasionally to check user activity -- it's depressing to see that there are only 200 or so users online at any given time. In the weeks after launch it used to number in the 2k-3k range.

Anyway, since all the peeps above have already explained what it is, here be a summary of why most people quit:

• The absurdly long grind of dailies - it takes an average of 3 hours. THREE. HOURS.

• The gacha gambling system: a pay-to-win game where once you buy DV's in-game currency with your real money, you are more likely to receive an item of less value than you paid for. This is the other big bad that drove everyone away.

• Once you finish your dailies, you're so burnt out that there is no appeal to giving more of your time to the site. This is compounded by the fact that there just isn't anything that interesting to do after dailies.

• Very few pet customization options & activities - unless you're an artist which allows you to draw custom features for your pet (this was cool until I remembered I'm not an artist), there are actually more options for your user avatar. Some people have said that it's more accurate to call DV an avatar site, not a pet site.

• Staff do not listen to user feedback. Everyone has been saying since the launch to shorten the daily grind and fix or at least remove the gacha system. The few times they respond it's the equivalent of "we're listening to you but we're changing nothing".

• Even though DV employs tons of people, only ONE person is in charge of drawing all the art -- the creator of the site, Quisling. Not only does this slow down improvements that could be made, it doesn't make sense when you can just hire artists to copy your style. She has the Kickstarter money.

If you have some time to kill, (you need an account to see links)

Now, Quisling has had a bit of a turbulent past -- mainly that she deliberately, publicly sabotaged artwork she was meant to give as a gift. She got away with it and doubled down on her actions when questioned, and has never apologized to this day. If this sounds confusing, (you need an account to see links) and also (you need an account to see links).

Don't tell anyone, but I have a hunch that DV staff want to improve the site but can't because Quisling can't admit she was wrong.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinkpain For This Useful Post:

Natalie (04-14-2021),team rocket (03-22-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    114/0
    Mentioned
    27 times
    Time Online
    6d 22h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m

if you're really interested lol.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MrSlowBro For This Useful Post: