Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What unsolved mystery do you hope to see solved in your lifetime?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikorita View Post
    OMG thank you for this thread! Here's my picks:

Phoenix Coldon: A young adult vanished without a trace on her way to a nearby market in 2011. Her car was found abandoned (many accounts dispute that the engine was still running) about half an hour away from her home. Her car was empty, save for some shoes, her ID and a few other things. Any accounts she had have ceased activity since she went missing. There have been very few leads regarding her case but many suspect she was abducted and trafficked. She was a seemingly religious girl but she was shown to be deeply troubled and started to get mixed up with some unsavory people. What happened to poor Phoenix? Evidence from her vehicle suggest there was no signs of a struggle and no other DNA was found. What happened when she exited her car? Did she lie about going to the market? Was she abducted? Is she still out there somewhere?

Asha Degree: A timid little girl goes missing on Valentines Day 2000. Afraid of the dark and storms, she left the safety of her her home in the wee hours of the morning to God knows where. Passing motorists claim to have seen her walking along the road, and when one tries to approach her she darts off into the woods. She wasn't seen since then. Months later her backpack (which was wrapped up in plastic) turned up at a construction site with a few odd things; a Dr. Seuss book, a New Kids on the Block tee and other undisclosed items. What compelled this little 9 year old to leave under those circumstances? Was she being coaxed? Groomed? Who discarded her backpack? What was going through her mind as she left her house? Late last year a convict came forward and claimed she was murdered and he knows where the body is but as of right now nothing has come of it.

There are a shitload of unsolved missing persons cases and it was really hard to narrow it down. Was going to mention I would also like to see Madeleine McCann, The Delphi Murders, and JonBenet get solved.
    Asha Degree is another one that I've read a lot about. I saw on reddit recently that her parents were supposed to be going to an open house the next morning of the night she disappeared. Which was new info to me. LEO has also stated the sightings of her are credible. IIRC there was also a picture of some girls near (or possibly with?) her stuff when it was recovered that had people convinced it was a huge clue for a long time but then it came out that the picture was unrelated to Asha. Even if she wasn't afraid of thunderstorms as reported, what would compel a nine year old to leave in the dead of night? In February, in bad weather? It's not like she and her mom had just had an argument and she stormed out. No she left around like 3 am.

I hope they solve this one, I really really do.

Another one I would have mentioned was Alissa Turney who disappeared in 2001 and her younger sister lead a years-long campaign for her father (Alissa's step father) to be arrested. Michael Turney had their entire house under surveillance that either mysteriously stopped working the day she went missing or he claimed to have viewed the footage and nothing was amiss so he wiped it but I can't remember and Alissa had allegations of sexual abuse against her step father. She went missing from school in 2001 after telling her boyfriend that her step father was taking her out of school early. Her step father claimed she had left a note about running away and further claimed to have spoken to her over the phone about a week after she went missing. Alissa's younger sister Sarah was instrumental in the case, campaigning on various social media platforms as well as a podcast to shine light on her missing sister. Although her body has yet to be recovered, AFAIK, in August 2020, 19 years after her disappearance, her step father was arrested and charged with second degree murder.

So I think there is a good chance that a lot of this older cases could be solved in our lifetime, especially with advancements in DNA testing/technologies. So, fingers crossed.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

Aero (02-27-2021),Fiore (02-21-2021),kittyray (02-21-2021),rio (02-24-2021)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    56d 4h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddammit View Post
    Asha Degree is another one that I've read a lot about. I saw on reddit recently that her parents were supposed to be going to an open house the next morning of the night she disappeared. Which was new info to me. LEO has also stated the sightings of her are credible. IIRC there was also a picture of some girls near (or possibly with?) her stuff when it was recovered that had people convinced it was a huge clue for a long time but then it came out that the picture was unrelated to Asha. Even if she wasn't afraid of thunderstorms as reported, what would compel a nine year old to leave in the dead of night? In February, in bad weather? It's not like she and her mom had just had an argument and she stormed out. No she left around like 3 am.

I hope they solve this one, I really really do.

Another one I would have mentioned was Alissa Turney who disappeared in 2001 and her younger sister lead a years-long campaign for her father (Alissa's step father) to be arrested. Michael Turney had their entire house under surveillance that either mysteriously stopped working the day she went missing or he claimed to have viewed the footage and nothing was amiss so he wiped it but I can't remember and Alissa had allegations of sexual abuse against her step father. She went missing from school in 2001 after telling her boyfriend that her step father was taking her out of school early. Her step father claimed she had left a note about running away and further claimed to have spoken to her over the phone about a week after she went missing. Alissa's younger sister Sarah was instrumental in the case, campaigning on various social media platforms as well as a podcast to shine light on her missing sister. Although her body has yet to be recovered, AFAIK, in August 2020, 19 years after her disappearance, her step father was arrested and charged with second degree murder.

So I think there is a good chance that a lot of this older cases could be solved in our lifetime, especially with advancements in DNA testing/technologies. So, fingers crossed.
    I think Asha was being threatened or encouraged to go out on an "adventure" so some opportunistic person could take her. Very little about the case makes any sense, but her being groomed makes sense to me. Her backpack being wrapped up and discarded is chilling and screams foul play. As far as I know, the photo of the girl that was found in the shed where some of Asha's belongings were was never identified and was unrecognized by her family or her school (it looks like a typical school photo from picture day though). I believe one article out there confirms that it was a friend of hers but it seems more of an assumption than anything. I wonder if they've used forensics to analyze the NKotB shirt (wasn't hers) or her backpack and haven't said anything publicly. The family deserves closure and I hope the find answers someday.

I'm so happy they managed to solve the Alissa Turney case! It was one of the first cases I read about. It took almost 2 decades to bring her some justice; the whole thing was absolutely heartbreaking and I'm glad her sister never stopped fighting for her. The stepfather is an absolute creep. I need to go back and look up cases that were recently solved because I was a bit out of the loop with this one.
    Last edited by Fiore; 02-22-2021 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Spellin'

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiore For This Useful Post:

rio (02-24-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    19d 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I really, really believe in and hope for this.
    Especially for more recent ones like the Delphi murders.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    4h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    This thread is so much more serious than I expected. I'm sorry for all of you who feel personally touched by these murders: when I read about a lot of these I develop a bit of a hunted feeling. Never mind when they're about an area you're from or frequent...

I just want to know things like "how do eels reproduce" and "what causes gravity". :/

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    551d 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Quote Originally Posted by iavoll View Post
    This thread is so much more serious than I expected. I'm sorry for all of you who feel personally touched by these murders: when I read about a lot of these I develop a bit of a hunted feeling. Never mind when they're about an area you're from or frequent...

I just want to know things like "how do eels reproduce" and "what causes gravity". :/
    There's certainly good mystery in the non-metaphorically-dark. Like the deepest depths of the ocean and dark matter. Those are two things I'd love to see more scientific breakthroughs and mysteries uncovered in my lifetime. We just landed another rover on Mars. A whole world out there!

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    (you need an account to see links)

Here's a lighter tone mystery, although by now I think they cracked the case.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

Aero (02-27-2021),kittyray (02-24-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    55/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    32d 21h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    The Van Breda murders I can�t decide if he�s guilty!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    188 times
    Time Online
    84d 21h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    (you need an account to see links)

Here's a lighter tone mystery, although by now I think they cracked the case.
    What’s the answer?? I read the comments and the defence industry seems compelling...

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    What’s the answer?? I read the comments and the defence industry seems compelling...
    IIRC, I think it was boats. People buying the glitter for their boats. I could be wrong, its been a long time since I've read that./gone down the rabbit hole.

Cookware was another highly suggested one too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

Aero (02-27-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    551d 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    IIRC, I think it was boats. People buying the glitter for their boats. I could be wrong, its been a long time since I've read that./gone down the rabbit hole.

Cookware was another highly suggested one too.

The thing with that was the comment that end product isn't obviously glitter, which to me says "the end product doesn't sparkle". Boats definitely sparkle.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Aero (02-27-2021),Goddammit (02-27-2021)