Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What unsolved mystery do you hope to see solved in your lifetime?

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,162 times
    Time Online
    557d 10h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddammit View Post
    I've been thinking of After Dark as more NSFW things but I could see a discussion like that fitting there.
    Yeah, I think you're right that it's generally meant to be NSFW, though I suppose one could argue that heavier/darker discussions aren't exactly SFW but it's not NSFW-NSFW. There's the "adult oriented" television post and that's been taken as "shows with heavier/darker themes", so I think the same courtesy could be extended to general discussion. I also like that it's behind the extra wall of not-just-any-member can view it. idk, I can be an open book, but the privacy is nice, though most likely won't go out of my way to make a thread on something unless it's really on my mind.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (02-17-2021)

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    706 times
    Time Online
    156d 23h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    I think After Dark would be a great place for this. That way we can be a but more free and uncesnored. Just my opinion though.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

Erik. (02-17-2021),kittyray (02-16-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    19d 2h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddammit View Post
    This one just makes me so mad because even if they did to do it, which again I don't believe thanks to many many hours reading pretty much everything I could about the case, including people who argue for their guilt, I think the way they were convicted is just ugh. The way Misskelley was treated, only 46 minutes of his 12 hour interrogation being filmed, bungled investigations by LE. Even some of the family members of the murdered boys pubicly questioned the verdicts and wanted the cases reopened and further investigation on the evidence.

What baffles me the most is who kills someone, whether on purpose or on accident, and then sticks around to write a bogus ransom note? Or even if they wrote the ransom note before the crime itself, they still wrote it IN the house. And it wasn't short. It was almost three pages long.

David Paulides (Missing 411) is pretty much discredited within the true crime community. He's accused of cherry picking reports, omitting key details and changing things to fit his own theories.
    Yes, not even an hour recorded of a 12 hour interview is really worrying police behaviour. Doesn't make them look very competent at the very least.

Three pages! I forgot about that.

Good to know re David Paulides, I had just heard bits and pieces about the series and googled very little about it. Found it intriguing at face value but perhaps now I won't look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanutface View Post
    The Princes in the Tower.............Being a real history buff I have always wondered about Edward V of England and his brother Richard of Shrewbury. Richard III had them incarcerated and than ascended the thrown. They simply disappeared. Dead of course but by whose hands. It also led to a few claimants arriving down the road to announce they were one or the other of the brothers. It has been fun reading for me through the years. Maybe I have tickled your fancy here today.
    It sounds like both an interesting and frustrating read! Do you have any theories of your own after reading through what is known, or said to be known?

Quote Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
    I think After Dark would be a great place for this. That way we can be a but more free and uncesnored. Just my opinion though.
    I did seek permission before posting this topic here although After Dark didn't occur to me as that in my head is NSFW topics of a more sexual nature. I agree with you guys though regarding limited access, makes sense.

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    706 times
    Time Online
    156d 23h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Maybe in just how these conversations evolve and some of the content we could ask a mod to potentially move the thread.

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    1d 12h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I was born and raised in Grays Harbor County (also the birthplace of Kurt Cobain and of the alternative metal/grunge/hardcore punk band Melvins) in Washington State. A few years before I moved out of the county, a summer downpour fell on the small town of Oakville. It rains an average of 150 days a year in Oakville. But this wasn't just any rain. On August 7,1994 gelatinous goo was falling from the sky. It covered twenty square miles and people reportedly became sick. The blobs rained down on Oakville six times in three weeks.

In one attempt to identify the substance, the blobs were reported to contain human white blood cells. Upon further investigation by the Washington State Department of Ecology’s hazardous material spill response unit, these cells from the blobs were also found to have no nuclei.

Another sample was eventually sent by Sunny Barclift, whose mother was sickened, to The Washington State Health lab which was assigned to Mike McDowell one of their epidemiologist on staff. Mike initially set the gel up on bacterial media to see if it would grow anything. It grew two types of bacteria pseudomonas fluorescens and enterobacter collacae. The gel specimen was locked in medium containment facility and over time Mike continued to research it. At some point he drew the conclusion that the material itself was manmade and was being used as a matrix. A vehicle capable of transporting a virus or bacteria. However, the sample he was responsible for would go missing. He stated that it was the first time in 30 years of service with his job that a sample he was responsible for had gone missing.

So, how did the mysterious substance come to rain down on Oakville? Theories range from military bombing runs and exploded jellyfish pulled into rain clouds to passenger airplane waste.

Sunny Barclift, who sent the sample to the The Washington State Health lab, has her own theory: "Over the years I have held some information close to me. Very little about it has been released to the press. However, 2 years ago some information surfaced on the internet that led me to the conclusion that the Oakville Event was in fact a continuity exercise conducted by the military."
    I have my theories. Have any of you guys seen the unsolved mysteries episode on this?!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donatella Versace For This Useful Post:

Aero (02-17-2021),kittyray (02-16-2021)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    26d 17h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    Last edited by Anybody; 02-16-2021 at 11:38 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anybody For This Useful Post:

kittyray (02-16-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    77 times
    Time Online
    20d 19h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by Anybody View Post
    I've read about this one! It's super interesting and really makes me wonder what went on in their heads. Reminds me of Dyatlov Pass. I think there is something terrifying of just being lost to the wilderness where you'd supposedly think there would be no one else around.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Furina For This Useful Post:

Aero (02-17-2021),Anybody (02-16-2021),Erik. (02-17-2021)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    26d 17h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    Quote Originally Posted by Rize View Post
    I've read about this one! It's super interesting and really makes me wonder what went on in their heads. Reminds me of Dyatlov Pass. I think there is something terrifying of just being lost to the wilderness where you'd supposedly think there would be no one else around.
    That’s what gets me about it most, I think! Just that desperate search for civilization followed by the despair of realizing your gamble wasn’t going to pay off. Gives me chills to imagine. I reread it about once a year for some reason

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Anybody For This Useful Post:

Furina (02-17-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,162 times
    Time Online
    557d 10h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    I think there's a lot of...something to events where you know most of the pieces, but not the details. Like somebody ripped out a bunch of pages from the middle of the book. Like mentioned Death Valley Germans and Dyatlov Pass. Those two Dutch tourists that died in Panama. Especially true for wilderness situations, which ties back up into the earlier discussion. And definitely agree re: what was going through their heads.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Anybody (02-17-2021),Erik. (02-17-2021),Furina (02-17-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    190 times
    Time Online
    85d 7h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 34m
    Quote Originally Posted by Donatella Versace View Post
    I have my theories. Have any of you guys seen the unsolved mysteries episode on this?!
    Woah! Never heard of this one but just read about it. What are your theories?