Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What unsolved mystery do you hope to see solved in your lifetime?

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    703 times
    Time Online
    156d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Oh boy love this thread!

Two of my choices have already been said by @(you need an account to see links) with the Madeleine McCann case as well as the JonBenet Case mentioned by @(you need an account to see links).

I remember the JonBenet case plastered everywhere when I was a kid. And as a parent the McCann case haunts me as I feel like if I was in the parent
    's shoes on vacation with other families etc then we would have done a similar thing in leaving the kids to sleep.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

Fiore (02-20-2021),Goddammit (02-16-2021),rio (02-16-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    19d 1h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddammit View Post
    WELL HI THIS IS MY EXACT FAVORITE CONVERSATION *cracks knuckles*

My best friend and I were just talking last night (while we watched HLN's delphi doc lol) about how many times we could have easily vanished off the face of the earth or been murdered when we were younger. Which, looking back is strange to me because I've been into true crime since I was 8. My older sister is ten years older than me and always had various books about serial killers and psychological profile stuff laying around. One of the my earliest memories are reading two books: 1. Hannibal in 5th grade and 2. The Evil That Men Do by Roy Hazelwood around the same time. So like. I KNEW there was danger. But kids are really good at compartmentalizing that stuff. Even as I got older, I was followed home from my bus stop once. As an adult I was walking to work around midnight and followed into a gas station. But I'd still do things like walk to work around midnight at 19 or cut through an empty and dark skatepark at 9pm when walking home alone from a friends house at 15. I'm a parent now and I try so hard to instill this into my kids head without doing it in a way that makes her terrified to live life.

I've been reading about the Delphi murders on their reddit and just reading a post about the HLN doc now. If they have all that evidence.. why not clarify who it belongs to? Whats the point in mentioning that at all.
    It makes you think he must've just been waiting for an opportunity to be confident that nobody was going to catch him. I agree in that it is solvable and while I read your edited reply about withholding information from the public helping to find false confessions, surely you can also use that in reverse/taunt the killer somehow.

JonBenet has been one for me that I've just accepted as will never be solved due to the muddled evidence you mentioned. Firstly, interesting that the parents wanted such a crowded house during such a distressing time. Secondly, what the heck was the detective that was with them up to?

tbh I was a little confused with my first read of your Memphis 3 post, seems so much was left unchecked and re celebrities jumping behind crimes they cannot possibly know all the facts about - eyeroll.

Yes, agree with you in terms of opportunities when younger, even as the paranoid preteen I was. I can imagine those experiences can make it hard to caution your child without terrifying her. I think my mother always told me to be cautious and I'm quite paranoid and distrustful towards strangers now.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
    Oh boy love this thread!

Two of my choices have already been said by @(you need an account to see links) with the Madeleine McCann case as well as the JonBenet Case mentioned by @(you need an account to see links).

I remember the JonBenet case plastered everywhere when I was a kid. And as a parent the McCann case haunts me as I feel like if I was in the parent
    's shoes on vacation with other families etc then we would have done a similar thing in leaving the kids to sleep.

Its definitely a decision I can understand from their point of view, they were close enough. Its definitely not something I would choose to do, however, I am a pretty paranoid person and have the gift of hindsight from cases like these - so perhaps that's a redundant thing to say. I guess they had their bases covered with the checks but unfortunately in this case it also gives them opportunity, and plenty of it.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    I remember feeling "but that will never happen to ME, because I'm careful" which I suppose is a variation of that invincible feeling. I definitely romanticized too, especially being a young parent, but like you said, another topic.
    I wouldn't even do that now! I'm not surprised she hated it. Did you have headphones in when you ran?
    Exactly! Now I wanna start a topic on that kind of thing, but it feels a little heavy/personal.

I'd probably still do it now, but I'd be a lot more careful. I had music playing pretty loud, but I could still hear my surroundings a little. Somebody probably could have snuck up on me, though it might have been hard for them to sneak at my speed. Nowawadays I've been thinking of investing into bone-conducting headphones so I can have music but still have full normal hearing, too, but I don't know how well they actually work.

@(you need an account to see links) answered the advantage part to that pretty well, and also a really good writeup so thanks for that!

I've heard of Missing 411, but never watched it. I think it can just be really easy to underestimate how little it takes to get lost in the woods. I once got turned around and it took all day for my group to find me even though I didn't actually stray that far from camp. I've met people who got lost for days. Or people who find missing/injured people by happenstance. And then there are some people who aren't as lucky. Especially on trickier or riskier environments. I could go on for a LONG time about things like this, but don't want to detract from the thread.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    I've been reading about the Delphi murders on their reddit and just reading a post about the HLN doc now. If they have all that evidence.. why not clarify who it belongs to? Whats the point in mentioning that at all.
    It makes you think he must've just been waiting for an opportunity to be confident that nobody was going to catch him. I agree in that it is solvable and while I read your edited reply about withholding information from the public helping to find false confessions, surely you can also use that in reverse/taunt the killer somehow.

JonBenet has been one for me that I've just accepted as will never be solved due to the muddled evidence you mentioned. Firstly, interesting that the parents wanted such a crowded house during such a distressing time. Secondly, what the heck was the detective that was with them up to?

tbh I was a little confused with my first read of your Memphis 3 post, seems so much was left unchecked and re celebrities jumping behind crimes they cannot possibly know all the facts about - eyeroll.

Yes, agree with you in terms of opportunities when younger, even as the paranoid preteen I was. I can imagine those experiences can make it hard to caution your child without terrifying her. I think my mother always told me to be cautious and I'm quite paranoid and distrustful towards strangers now.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Its definitely a decision I can understand from their point of view, they were close enough. Its definitely not something I would choose to do, however, I am a pretty paranoid person and have the gift of hindsight from cases like these - so perhaps that's a redundant thing to say. I guess they had their bases covered with the checks but unfortunately in this case it also gives them opportunity, and plenty of it.
    The WM3 case is such a fucking rabbit hole. The two links I posted essentially give you the facts on the case but posit that Terry Hobbes was the culprit and that's where I honestly lean. My older sister was fairly squared away in the camp that the three are innocent but after listening to some podcasts, I'll have to ask her which one exactly, now she's not so sure. The wiki does a decent enough job

Paradise Lost is a three-part documentary about it that shined a lot of light and awareness about the 3s incarceration but if you have a weak stomach be warned you do see footage of the boys' bodies. The Devil's Knot is a book also arguing their innocence.

This one just makes me so mad because even if they did to do it, which again I don't believe thanks to many many hours reading pretty much everything I could about the case, including people who argue for their guilt, I think the way they were convicted is just ugh. The way Misskelley was treated, only 46 minutes of his 12 hour interrogation being filmed, bungled investigations by LE. Even some of the family members of the murdered boys pubicly questioned the verdicts and wanted the cases reopened and further investigation on the evidence.

The detective in the JBR case, iirc, was a junior detective? She was fairly new to it all so I can kind of see why she handled it the way she did but also shouldn't you have been trained better to oh, idk, AT LEAST SECURE A CRIME SCENE? There's a lot of speculation that the pull the Ramseys had is the reason for the lackluster investigation which is believable if you believe they had something to do with it. I personally think that if it wasn't the parents it was someone known to the parents. The layout of their house is kind of....it's a huge house. The top floor is entire master bedroom. Below that is where the kids slept, JBR's bedroom was on the opposite side from Burkes. Then there is the main floor and then the basement. What baffles me the most is who kills someone, whether on purpose or on accident, and then sticks around to write a bogus ransom note? Or even if they wrote the ransom note before the crime itself, they still wrote it IN the house. And it wasn't short. It was almost three pages long.

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    Exactly! Now I wanna start a topic on that kind of thing, but it feels a little heavy/personal.

I'd probably still do it now, but I'd be a lot more careful. I had music playing pretty loud, but I could still hear my surroundings a little. Somebody probably could have snuck up on me, though it might have been hard for them to sneak at my speed. Nowawadays I've been thinking of investing into bone-conducting headphones so I can have music but still have full normal hearing, too, but I don't know how well they actually work.

@(you need an account to see links) answered the advantage part to that pretty well, and also a really good writeup so thanks for that!

I've heard of Missing 411, but never watched it. I think it can just be really easy to underestimate how little it takes to get lost in the woods. I once got turned around and it took all day for my group to find me even though I didn't actually stray that far from camp. I've met people who got lost for days. Or people who find missing/injured people by happenstance. And then there are some people who aren't as lucky. Especially on trickier or riskier environments. I could go on for a LONG time about things like this, but don't want to detract from the thread.
    David Paulides (Missing 411) is pretty much discredited within the true crime community. He's accused of cherry picking reports, omitting key details and changing things to fit his own theories.

That being said it is SO SO easy to get lost in the woods. It can really take like, a split second of stepping off the trail and getting confused and turned around. The best thing you can do if you find yourself lost is the woods is to just sit down and stay put that way you dont wander even further away and it will be easier for SAR to find you.

ETA: I DO think the Delphi police should release more than they have at this point. It's been 4 years. Surely there is something you can hold back for the real killer to admit to while giving the public more to go on because I don't think they have a POI other than the person in the sketch and I DO think that the only way they're going to solve it is a) he kills again or b) someone recognizes him or something LE says about him and they submit a tip.
    Last edited by Goddammit; 02-16-2021 at 05:33 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

Fiore (02-20-2021),kittyray (02-16-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    19d 1h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m

Well this topic is pretty heavy. Maybe we need a new subforum, "Dark Discussions" lol.
    Bone conduction is interesting, you'd have to trial them first. I feel like you could still get distracted by the music if its a good song or you're at a hard point in your run and concentrating on getting through it.

Maybe you're right and its nothing nefarious at all, but for me it was the volume of people that disappear and the fact that they are never found but their things are found miles away, or in places you can't hike to. I'm not sure I believe in Wendigo or Bigfoot but it certainly makes you think. I just checked youtube and it is called Missing 411.
    Last edited by rio; 02-16-2021 at 09:07 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rio For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (02-16-2021)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    26d 17h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anybody For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (02-17-2021),rio (02-18-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Gonna reply to both of you at once.

But yeah, split second is all you need, and that's assuming you have your wits about you to recognize in the moment you've gotten yourself lost. It's natural to try to circle back or cut back through because for the most part we're used to navigating like that.

I'd be down for a general Heavy Topics forum, though I don't know how much it'd actually get used (and I suppose After Dark could be used for things like that? idk).

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    189 times
    Time Online
    85d 5h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 34m
    I'm definitely more cautious with age. It was like a mix of feeling invincible to romanticizing other aspects (I've had a few chats about being a teen and idolizing people who die young, though not really violent attacks, but that's a different topic). I used to go running in the woods all the time as a teen and my mom hated it, but didn't stop me.

Yeah, there's SO much in the case that they have, but very little seems like it was released to the public. I wonder if they're sitting on something that ties into something bigger, or if it's just wishful thinking.

And yeah, that somebody thing also gets to me. Like for some there really might not be, like in the case of missing hikers or similar. Another case that just pops into my head with the "somebody knows something" thing sometimes is Asha Degree.
    Wow you're so right. This is horrible, but I would say I'm a very naive person and I always believe the best in people, which is probably true for most people in this world, but it only takes one to completely careen your life off course (or leave you dead). I've definitely in the past walked around late at night/extremely early morning in relatively safe places (my collegetown, NYC) and even had intoxicated convos with strangers. In retrospect, this was incredibly stupid and it would have only taken one person to take advantage of me for it to be all over. I can't even imagine being a parent and having to worry about this or learning to worry about it. Food for thought.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

DrBumfinger (02-28-2021),kittyray (02-16-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    85/0
    Mentioned
    198 times
    Time Online
    95d 1h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    The Princes in the Tower.............Being a real history buff I have always wondered about Edward V of England and his brother Richard of Shrewbury. Richard III had them incarcerated and than ascended the thrown. They simply disappeared. Dead of course but by whose hands. It also led to a few claimants arriving down the road to announce they were one or the other of the brothers. It has been fun reading for me through the years. Maybe I have tickled your fancy here today.

Cashew
    Hatched: 11-14-2020

Thank you (you need an account to see links) for the adoptables!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peanutface For This Useful Post:

DrBumfinger (02-28-2021),Erik. (02-17-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Gonna reply to both of you at once.

But yeah, split second is all you need, and that's assuming you have your wits about you to recognize in the moment you've gotten yourself lost. It's natural to try to circle back or cut back through because for the most part we're used to navigating like that.

I'd be down for a general Heavy Topics forum, though I don't know how much it'd actually get used (and I suppose After Dark could be used for things like that? idk).
    I've been thinking of After Dark as more NSFW things but I could see a discussion like that fitting there.