Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite movie/tv/otherwise motion picture scores/soundtracks?

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    555d 21h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m

Favorite movie/tv/otherwise motion picture scores/soundtracks?

Can be either a properly/traditionally scored dealio or musicals with full numbers or a the-soundtrack-is-basically-a-mixtape type ones or some combination. Figured we have a thread for video game ones and I couldn't find one for this!
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Betelgeuse (03-05-2021),Charmander (02-06-2021),Danny Phantom (02-11-2021),Ice (02-06-2021),Sephora (02-10-2021),Stardew (02-06-2021)

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    703 times
    Time Online
    156d 12h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    I was just going to make this thread @(you need an account to see links) lol great minds think alike I guess haha.

I have a few. When I was in school and studying I was listening to movie scores by Hans Zimmer (Inception, Gladiator, Troy etc) They were the perfect background music for studying.

Now that I have a young one mynexposure to new adult movies has dwindled so now we are fans of Frozen and Moana.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (02-06-2021),kittyray (02-06-2021),rio (02-28-2021),Stardew (02-06-2021)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    138 times
    Time Online
    59d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    I was looking for this one earlier!

I love soundtracks a lot. I have a lot of things I love listening to. But this is probably my most favorite track, I've listened to this so, so many times. The moment in the show this plays over is beautiful as well, but it is the song, the evocative, storytelling nature of it, of the fantastical planet Gallifrey, that I love so much. It's hard to explain to anyone who hasn't seen the show, I think, because it's everything at once. I'm getting sappy over here, but music truly has the power to evoke so much!

This is Gallifrey, Our Childhood, Our Home - Murray Gold

🌜 ALL YOUR STARDROP ARE BELONG TO ME ⭐✨
    hatched as drake: 01.11.2021

Guides by me: (you need an account to see links) | (you need an account to see links)

ty Dita ♥

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stardew For This Useful Post:

Alister (02-06-2021),Amparo (04-15-2021),Charmander (02-06-2021),kittyray (02-06-2021),rio (02-28-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    555d 21h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Yay! People responded so now I can post without mucking up the first one. But also this is going to take a while to post because where I'm at right now I feel like I gotta listen to at least one song before adding it to the list!

I also love Hans Zimmer, just has made such good work! So much iconic work, too!

Other ones I love:

Pan's Labyrinth (El Laberinto Del Fauno)
    Javier Navarrete

Sunshine
    John Murphy

(this song has been reused in other media but as far as I know it was originally composed for Sunshine and it's just SO good it had to be the one to share).

Requiem For A Dream
    Clint Mansell

(I shared a different one in the listening thread yesterday, but posting here, too)

Paprika
    Susumu Hirasawa (平沢進)

The Leftovers
    Max Richter

Brick
    Nathan Johnson

Donnie Darko
    Michael Andrews

Legion
    Jeff Russo, Various Artists

(this is a cover song, but the rest of the music is good, too_

Prince Of Egypt
    (This was a Hans Zimmer sneak attack!) And Stephen Schwartz.

Anastasia
    Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty

Don't have a particular favorite, but Michael Giacchino deserves a shoutout, too.
    Last edited by kittyray; 02-06-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Charmander (02-06-2021),Ice (02-06-2021),Mario2302 (02-06-2021),Stardew (02-06-2021)

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    703 times
    Time Online
    156d 12h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Love Pans Labarynth! I need to watch that movie again.

Noo @(you need an account to see links) your Hans Zimmer video wouldn't work! I wanted to hear it

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

kittyray (02-06-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    555d 21h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    @(you need an account to see links) It was "Playing With The Big Boys Now" from The Prince Of Egypt, maybe you can find it elsewhere?
    Also just realized I was so distracted by the Hans Zimmer surprise I forgot to say Stephen Schwartz for that one, too, but I fixed it!

Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Charmander (02-06-2021),Mama Bear (02-06-2021)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    138 times
    Time Online
    59d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    Woah @(you need an account to see links) you delivered!! I have so many things I could share as well but I didn't wanna overwhelm anyone
    Also that Anastasia song is bomb, I haven't heard it in a while but it was on repeat for many years when I was in school hahaha

I'll have to take the time to listen to the one's I'm not familiar with!

If you guys like Hans Zimmer, check out this lesser known soundtrack of his! It's called Beyond Rangoon and it's one of my favorites! The entire soundtrack is amazing, but this is probably my fave track.

Waters of Irrawaddy - Hans Zimmer

🌜 ALL YOUR STARDROP ARE BELONG TO ME ⭐✨
    hatched as drake: 01.11.2021

Guides by me: (you need an account to see links) | (you need an account to see links)

ty Dita ♥

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stardew For This Useful Post:

Charmander (02-06-2021),kittyray (02-06-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    555d 21h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    @(you need an account to see links)

I still feel like I missed a bunch. And like any music-listening habits it's changed with time (ask me 10-15 years ago there's no way Kill Bill Vol 1 wouldn't have made the list).

Thanks for the song, I hadn't heard of this one, but listening now!

Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Stardew (02-06-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    706 times
    Time Online
    83d 12h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Time for my basic musical ass to SHINE.

I am a SLUT for the Chicago soundtrack. And on the days where I need serontonin the most, you KNOW I be blasting the Mamma Mia soundtrack. 100% no shame.

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Amparo (04-15-2021),kittyray (02-06-2021),Mama Bear (02-06-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    126d 6h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 16m
    I just word vomited all over the video game thread and now I'm here to clutter this one too
    @<a href="https://clraik.com/forum/member.php?u=19501" target="_blank">Stardew</a> I've always loved that Dr. Who track @<a href="https://clraik.com/forum/member.php?u=11161" target="_blank">kittyray</a> totally agree with you on both fronts about Kill Bill 1, it used to be a favorite soundtrack and now I barely touch it. Still love "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" though, and "Death Rides a Horse" which wasn't included on the album release.

Some of my favorites:

I adore everything Basil Poledouris did but the Conan soundtrack is fucking magical to me. The score gives so much heart and depth to something that could have been so machismo dull. Between tracks like this one and the Riders of Doom, this is definitely in my top three soundtracks of all time. Honorable mention for another Poledouris track is Klendathu Drop in Starship Troopers, one of my favorite scifi tracks ever.

Risky Business
    I love Tangerine Dream in general but their score for Risky Business is transcendent. Singlehandedly turns the movie into one of my all-time favorites. This is my favorite version of Love On a Real Train, the most popular track from the score

The Beyond
    So I like horror movies a lot. There's a lot out there with really really great scores (the OG Suspiria, Phantasm, Candyman, Zombie 2). The Beyond is my favorite. It's a fairly obscure Italian movie by a director named Lucio Fulci, with a score composed by Fabio Frizzi. The Beyond is already pretty unsettling movie visually (especially if you know the grim background to it; it's the movie Fulci made to express his grief after his wife's suicide after she learned she was terminally sick). Throw Frizzi's score into it and to me it becomes unforgettable.

The Great Silence
    everything Ennio Morricone has ever done is glorious. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly OST absolutely deserves to be as iconic as it is. But holy fuck. As a soundtrack and a western, The Great Silence is a masterpiece. If you like westerns I cannot more highly recommend giving The Great Silence a try. It haunted me for days after I saw it the first time.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
    Nausicaa is my all time favorite movie. I think all Joe Hiaishi's scores are wonderful but I feel like in most Ghibli movies, the scores are mostly a small handful of melodies that get reprised repeatedly. And they're great, so it's not a bad thing at all per say. But Nausicaa has everything from soaring uplifting dramatic song to tense battle music to trippy synth tracks, definitely my favorite of any Miyazaki OST.

How to Train Your Dragon
    A friend and I impulsively went to see HTTYD when the first one came out despite neither thinking the trailer looked particularly good, we just both like animated stuff. I did not have high expectations. From the moment the movie started and the music kicked in, I realized I had seriously underestimated it. It's soooo gooood and the music is lovely. My meathead older brother started crying during the scene this track plays in he got so overwhelmed the first time he saw it lol

Eyes Without a Face
    Another movie that I couldn't get out of my head after seeing it. The main theme is both creepy and lovely and sad, just like the movie itself, and fits so perfectly with it. My favorite presentation of it is the final scene of the movie, which I'll nest a video to in spoilers in case anyone ever wants to watch the movie itself

the theme by itself without spoilers:

it is likely i will be back with more scores after i think of a few more favorites
    Last edited by Alister; 02-06-2021 at 05:11 PM.

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Digipoop (02-06-2021),Ice (02-06-2021),kittyray (02-06-2021),Mario2302 (02-06-2021),Stardew (02-06-2021)