Mentioned
    264 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m

[HELP] Something similar to Neopet's DTI

Hi,

I'm currently in the midst of learning how to code python. I've done html and css in the past but it's all pretty basic stuff. I'm now thinking about a dressing-up project similar to Neopet's DTI but for another game and I have a few questions as to how DTI works. I hope someone with experience can guide me a little on this.

1. What does DTI use to display the pet + outfits? It's flash right? Are there any other alternatives to using flash?

2. If I have all the source files (of base char + outfits), would it be easy to create a website with the ability similar to DTI using html? If not, what coding language would I have to use for this?

3. The model for the game uses a 2d plane with a 3d model (means the base char can be turned around) whereas it's different from DTI. I believe that would add a lot more layers of complexity into creating it. If anyone could give any advice/guidelines for this that would be great. >.<

4. There is already a current dress-up model but it is attached as an add-on to the game and as such, is only accessible within the game itself. I'm trying to re-create it on a website instead for remote usage - would I be able to reuse anything from the addon source files for a website? I know this is pretty vague and it's hard to tell, and I wouldn't know how to go about extracting the addon source files either but I was just curious.

Thanks for reading!

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    The (you need an account to see links)is completely flash free, but I don't know really anything about how it works under the hood. Good news is that it's completely open source, so you can probably figure some stuff out by looking through the (you need an account to see links). And actually from looking at the README, looks like it's React-based, which I would nooooooot be able to help with (I keep telling myself I'm going to learn some React basics and then running away).

The old DTI is also on github, (you need an account to see links) if you want to take a look.

My browser visual experience is mostly limited to (you need an account to see links), and with that, mostly limited to (you need an account to see links). It seems like there have been a (you need an account to see links) (you need an account to see links) games made with it (well, probably more, but I'm not gonna dig right now), but anyway, it's probably not the best tool for the job.

Anyway, sorry I don't have a better answer, but hope this can point you in some useful directions!

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/2
    Mentioned
    264 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    The (you need an account to see links)is completely flash free, but I don't know really anything about how it works under the hood. Good news is that it's completely open source, so you can probably figure some stuff out by looking through the (you need an account to see links). And actually from looking at the README, looks like it's React-based, which I would nooooooot be able to help with (I keep telling myself I'm going to learn some React basics and then running away).

The old DTI is also on github, (you need an account to see links) if you want to take a look.

My browser visual experience is mostly limited to (you need an account to see links), and with that, mostly limited to (you need an account to see links). It seems like there have been a (you need an account to see links) (you need an account to see links) games made with it (well, probably more, but I'm not gonna dig right now), but anyway, it's probably not the best tool for the job.

Anyway, sorry I don't have a better answer, but hope this can point you in some useful directions!
    Thank you for that!! Anything is better than nothing

I'll check out the links.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Unown For This Useful Post:

kittyray (01-28-2021)