2/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    14m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

The Death Sentence

Does a man who murders another man have a right to life? Any man who murders another man has declared by his action that he does not accept the principle of individual rights. He is worse than an animal, as he has chosen to abdicate his reason in order to act like an animal. The death penalty is an ordered imposition of a sentence of execution as punishment for a crime. There are people who think that the death penalty should not be legal anywhere in the United States. In 2008, 37 people in the United States were killed by this uncommon phenomenon. However, the pros and cons of the death penalty are as shuddering as the name sounds. Some people think it

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    133 times
    Time Online
    19d 22h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Well, I agree with it and also disagree with the death penalty. I don't agree with it because what happens if the person you sent to their death was actually innocent of the charge and was set up. We can never know, sure that might happen once in a blue moon, but it still can happen. Or what happens if you killed someone out of self defense because the person was trying to hurt you? But other than that i totally agree to have the death penalty. I mean shit, they obviously didn't care about the other person who they kill, CANT REVIVE BACK. So why not? We have to pay our hard earned money for these criminals to have food and shelter? Shit, i say kill the bastards the same way they killed the victim! Usually half the time they aren't sentenced to life and are able to be put on parole, so what if they go out and kill someone else, now someone else just died because its "immoral" to kill a human intentionally.

For the criminals who think its okay to go beat their wives, beat the shit out of someone to rob them, people like them, i think it should be okay to beat the shit out of them, not kill them because obviously they didn't kill anyone, but just make them suffer. Make them bleed. Make them breath out of a tube like they just made the other person have to do. It will make them think twice about doing it again.

I think our law system is all screwed up.

An American two-year-old girl who was reported missing in Orlando, Florida, in July 2008, and whose remains were found in a wooded area near her home in December 2008. Her then 22-year-old mother, Casey Marie Anthony, was tried for the first degree murder of Caylee but was acquitted. She was, however, convicted of misdemeanor counts of lying to police officers.
    The prosecution sought the death penalty and alleged Casey murdered her daughter by administering chloroform, then applying duct tape, because she wanted her freedom.
    Casey's car smelled like a dead body had been inside of it. She said Casey had given varied explanations as to Caylee's whereabouts and finally admitted that day that she had not seen her daughter for weeks. Casey fabricated various stories, including telling detectives the child had been kidnapped by a fictitious nanny on June 9, and that she had been trying to find her, too frightened to alert the authorities.
    Caylee's skeletal remains were found with a blanket inside a trash bag in a wooded area near the family home.

^ What kind of sick person could do this? Your own daughter? The evidence is ALL RIGHT THERE, and you let this bitch free...this child had done nothing wrong to deserve to die. I say torture the bitch!
    Fatal oral dose of chloroform may be as low as 10 mL (14.8 g), with death due to respiratory or cardiac arrest. I highly doubt she knew how much of this shit to use on her daughter, what if the little girl went into cardiac arrest, you just caused that pain on a two year old.

It's illegal and unlawful to murder someone, but if someone does it, they still live. I don't find it fair.

You have child molesters out there, living in human society..ummm im not sure if i missed something, but you just touched a little child inappropriately or tried to have sex with them, and you're living the next street down from my house? Do you have a child? So what happens if this happened to your child, you'd want the fucker to die. Just because it's not happening to you doesn't mean its right. These people should suffer! Child molestation can cause mental problems long run in a person, symptoms may include general behavior problems, delinquency, anxiety, regressive behaviors, nightmares, withdrawal from normal activities, internalizing and externalizing disorders, cruelty and self-injury, post-traumatic stress disorder, poor self-esteem, age-inappropriate sexual behavior and even possibly commit suicide down the road from the trauma they caused. All we do to them is slap their hand, tell them don't do it again, mark them as a predator and let them live around us like nothing is wrong.

What happens if someone murdered your wife or husband, raped them, cut them, let them bleed out and die a miserable slow death..and he gets, 35 years! Or maybe if hes lucky he will pled insanity.
    If the accused can prove that he or she was insane when the crime was committed, he or she may receive a reduced sentence or avoid sentencing altogether. Jurisdictions vary in how they address insanity defenses.
    So now lets say their sentence got reduced to 20 years, in 20 years this person will be able to be a free person. They will live in society with us, do you think the trillions of people that live on this world will know who he is when we see them? Not likely, so this person has no problem of committing this crime again.

I say just kill them and get it over with so we don't have to worry about people like this.

( I used Wiki for my info )
    Last edited by Victoria; 12-26-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Infamous Joe is you.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    7d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I'm quoting selectively to respond to specific points but hopefully thereby providing responses to the general thrust of your argument bianca(though apologies if this way means I miss something important)

so what if they go out and kill someone else, now someone else just died because its "immoral" to kill a human intentionally.
    I think the major difference there lies in passive and active states of killing people. For example, the legal system relies on a presumption of innocence. The reason for this? The Blackstone Principle: It is better that 10 guilty persons should escape than that one innocent should suffer.(you need an account to see links). This was repeated in an American context by Benjamin Franklin: "it is better [one hundred] guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer"(you need an account to see links). The justifications for this are twofold. Firstly, that the innocent should not be unduly punished. But secondly, and equally importantly, it is that our duty lies more in the tangible (potentially falsely imprisoned) prisoner than to the concept of further victims down the line. And it is this second point which is most important for the context of this debate. It is better for the state to potentially allow people to die than for the state to actively kill an innocent of its own.

i think it should be okay to beat the shit out of them
    Do you not believe in the concept of Human Rights? That they should apply to everyone equally? As a human rights campaigner this view upsets me greatly.

The evidence is ALL RIGHT THERE, and you let this bitch free...this child had done nothing wrong to deserve to die. I say torture the bitch!
    Evidently the evidence wasn't all right there or else she would have been found guilty. As I've stated, the presumption of innocence is a founding principle of pretty much every legal system in the world. Moreover, I'm a Law Student and it's laughable how misrepresented so many laws, legal principles and cases are in the Media and by Politicians. I can only presume the same holds true in the US with its ostensibly more reactionary press and politics. Additionally, specifically on torture, it simply doesn't work. The information is entirely unreliable. (you need an account to see links). (you need an account to see links). Former head of the US Defence Intelligence Agency: "Experienced military and intelligence professionals know that torture, in addition to being illegal and immoral, is an unreliable means of extracting information from prisoners" ((you need an account to see links).)

It's illegal and unlawful to murder someone, but if someone does it, they still live. I don't find it fair.
    If it's so wrong for an individual to kill someone, why is the state doing it any fairer? You seem against the idea of fair trials from the implication of the removal of presumption of innocence so how could the state be claim to be any more just than any of its individuals?

All we do to them is slap their hand, tell them don't do it again, mark them as a predator and let them live around us like nothing is wrong.
    I actually agree with you that a number of crimes, particularly those involving children(either as victims or prisoners) and crimes of a sexual nature are entirely mishandled by the justice system. But not because I think they should be punished more severely. I think the spells in prison are entirely unproductive. I support the locking away of prisoners but only in order that they can be rehabilitated. If there isn't the support there, then the chance of reoffending is relatively high. The answer isn't to kill people, it's to help them.

Or maybe if hes lucky he will pled insanity.
    I don't know how sentencing works for those who are certified insane over there but over here it's certainly not a pleasant experience. I have mental health problems myself and so have visited a number of mental health institutions over the past few years- Some of them are little better than (you need an account to see links).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoSunset For This Useful Post:

Ben (12-27-2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I agree, if someone kills someone, doesnt mean that they deserve the death sentence. When one commits a 1st degree murder, then they do. Such as the anthony case, i find it pretty completely obvious that it was commited. The evidence otherwise proved them wrong, with the multiple cases going on, the death sentence shouldn't be looked down upon, as sometimes its used and is needed. In my opinion the sentence has been needed in the past, but hasnt been used, which i think is completely wrong. If you have a penalty and someone commits the crime that deserves it, why not use it?!
    Last edited by Control; 12-27-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    7d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    If you have a penalty and someone commits the crime that deserves it, why not use it?!
    But even with that apparently simple statement you have to ask the question- which crimes deserve it? Even if we were to accept for the sake of argument that were instances in which state-sanctioned killing of its citizens could be justified(which I absolutely refute) then we would still have to decide which crimes were grave enough to warrant it. I don't understand how the death penalty could ever be said to be needed, could you explain that point please?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    133 times
    Time Online
    19d 22h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I don't understand how the death penalty could ever be said to be needed, could you explain that point please?
    And unfortunately because of the people who think its unfair to execute someone, no one will know why its needed. Why do i say this? The states that HAVE the death penalty do not use it enough to show anything! Do you think less than 50 executions out of the 20,000 that are committed will accomplish much? But i bet 20,000 executions will. The murder rate would drop!

I personally think we need TELEVISED executions every night at 8:00 p.m. on national television. Forget the movie of the week. Let's just have about 50,000,000 Americans sit down every night and see some little children crying about their mother who was raped and murdered. Let's see some moms and dads mourning over their little girl who was molested and murdered by some wicked devil, and then let's see the rascal get what he deserves. I bet that would deter some crime! You say, "Man, you're crazy!" Am I? Did you ever read how God commanded the Israelites to execute people? It was a PUBLIC STONING? Is God crazy too?

"And if he smite him with an instrument of iron, so that he die, he is a murderer: the murderer shall surely be put to death. And if he smite him with throwing a stone, wherewith he may die, and he die, he is a murderer: the murderer shall surely be put to death. Or if he smite him with an hand weapon of wood, wherewith he may die, and he die, he is a murderer: the murderer shall surely be put to death. The revenger of blood himself shall slay the murderer: when he meeteth him, he shall slay him. But if he thrust him of hatred, or hurl at him by laying of wait, that he die; Or in enmity smite him with his hand, that he die: he that smote him shall surely be put to death; for he is a murderer: the revenger of blood shall slay the murderer, when he meeteth him." (Num. 35:16-21)

"Whoso killeth any person, the murderer shall be put to death by the mouth of witnesses: but one witness shall not testify against any person to cause him to die. Moreover ye shall take no satisfaction for the life of a murderer, which is guilty of death: but he shall be surely put to death." (Num. 35:30-31)

The best way to clean up America is JUSTICE. Justice will teach people to respect the law once again.
    The death penalty saves lives. Repeat murders are eliminated and foreseeable murders are deterred. You must consider the victim as well as the defendant.

Most people have a natural fear of death- its a trait man have to think about what will happen before we act. If we don’t think about it consciously, we will think about it unconsciously. Think- if every murderer who killed someone died instantly, the homicide rate would be very low because no one likes to die. We cannot do this, but if the Justice system can make it more swift and severe, we could change the laws to make capital punishment faster and make appeals a shorter process. The death penalty is important because it could save the lives of thousands of potential victims who are at stake (Bedau, H., 1982).

So what you're trying to tell me that Osama bin Laden deserved to live?
    The total of people who died in the 9/11 attacks was 2 996 (2 977 victims and 19 hijackers).

In the World Trade Center and near it there were 2 606 persons, including:

1 762 residents of New York
    1 402 persons in Tower 1
    674 residents of New Jersey
    658 employees of Cantor Fitzgerald L.P.
    614 persons in Tower 2
    355 employees of Marsh Inc.
    343 firefighters
    175 employees of Aon Corporation
    37 Port Authority police officers
    23 police officers
    2 paramedics
    1 firefighter was killed by a man who jumped off the top floors

On the airplanes there were 246 members of the crews and passengers. All these people died.

87 on American Airlines Flight 11
    60 on United Airlines Flight 175
    59 on American Airlines Flight 77
    40 on United Flight 93

HE PLOTTED THIS! HE MADE THESE PEOPLE DIE.
    But because you think its unlawful to kill someone, we should just tell him hey, don't do it again. Let's just put you in jail.
    NO. What happened when he was killed? EVERYONE CHEERED THAT A TERRORIST, A MURDERER DIED! DIED AT A HUMAN HAND!
    Do you feel safe now that a guy like that is dead? I sure as hell know i do. How do you think other people will feel when
    they know that person was executed?

Basically you're telling me that war in wrong? Do you think the army shoots rainbows from their guns? No they shoot bullets.
    When they shoot, they shoot to kill. But we allow this to happen. Its the same damn thing!

( James L. Melton, (you need an account to see links), (you need an account to see links) (you need an account to see links) )
    Last edited by Victoria; 12-27-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Infamous Joe is you.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    6d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Here's an interesting point:

Some people say that murderers should face the death penalty because they deserve to suffer for the crimes that they committed.
    However, if you think about it, which one is more suffering? Being locked in prison for years with no hope of getting out, or a quick death?

Prison is pretty harsh and a lot of people go crazy after a few years...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Azn For This Useful Post:

goldentryst (08-13-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    133 times
    Time Online
    19d 22h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Prison is pretty harsh and a lot of people go crazy after a few years...
    Okay, sure its pretty harsh, but the point of the fact is they still let the criminals go! They aren't locked up forever! And as you just said, people go crazy after a few years, now, you have a crazy murderer out on the streets when their sentence is up. Sure, jail time does do good for some people, they actually regret what they did, they feel sorry blah blah, well, tough shit. They should have thought about that before the heat of the moment and killed a person. Sure, if we give them jail time they can become a "better person", but it still doesn't change the fact that they took a human life away from someone.

My friend's father goes to Indiana EVERY YEAR for court. Why? Because of his brother. His brother that has been dead for 8 years. His Brother's murderer goes to court for a hearing to be put on patrol every year. And every year, he stops him from being put out on the streets, to keep him where he deserves to be. But why is it that you are giving this man the option to be free? Wanna know what he did?

Sure you might say oh its stupid that he did it in the first place, but what happened to him should NEVER happen. His brother was hitchhiking his way through Indiana to get home ( I forgot the reason why he had to do this, ill find out ) and these 2 guys picked him up. Well, little did he know that sick homosexuals had picked him up and they beat the shit out of him, raped him, and killed him. I mean really? One of the guys died in jail, but the other one still get to have hearing to be let free?! WHY?? You don't know that he won't go back out there and do it again! What was the motive? What was the reason behind him killing an innocent man. He never did anything to him. People are sick out there, and we need to rid the world of them if they commit murder.

Police officers carry guns around with them. Why? I mean if its unnatural to kill someone, then why have them? They use it to protect themselves, from criminals. They actually shoot and kill people with them, but they are saving lives by doing it! We congratulate them, give them medals and rewards. So what's the difference? Sometimes they kill the person before they have the chance to hurt someone, so why can't we do the same to the person who DID KILL someone?

Infamous Joe is you.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    6d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    @Bianca

Sorry, I meant to say life in prison without parole is much harder than just simply being put to death. I'm actually neutral on this standpoint as I'm unsure. I haven't lost someone to a murderer but I'm sure it feels terrible. My dad is an ex-cop so I can verify that when you use a gun, it's an intent to protect, not an intent to kill. You can actually get in trouble with killing a criminal, if there is another way to detain him, such as pepper spray or a taser.
    Last edited by Azn; 12-28-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    133 times
    Time Online
    19d 22h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Sorry, I meant to say life in prison without parole is much harder than just simply being put to death.
    Ah okay lol well then that makes sense XD

My dad is an ex-cop so I can verify that when you use a gun, it's an intent to protect, not an intent to kill.
    I understand its an intent to protect, but it's still taking a human life away which there is no difference then between execution. More than likely if they guy has a gun and starts shooting it, they are gonna kill him. But what if he didn't shoot anyone and missed or something? He didn't technically kill anyone, but he was still shot at gunpoint. They were trying to protect the civilians. Just like executions would do. I mean I would much rather see them rot in jail forever but that wont happen.

My cousin is dead because her friend, someone her and my family took in to help, killed her. She was only 16. Her birthday was in 5 days. He stabbed her and killed her, left her body in a vacant building until police recovered the body behind the Department of Public Works building in a pile of sand used for winter road maintenance.

TRAVERSE CITY -- A final conference was held Friday for Robert Jensen Schwander, the teen accused of killing 16-year old Carly Lewis.
    Schwander was in court as was the Lewis family.
    Both the defense and the prosecutor told the judge that after reviewing jury questionnaires, they are confident that Schwander could get a fair trial in Traverse City.
    The prosecution also offered a plea deal to reduce the charge to 2nd Degree Murder. That would give Schwander the possibility of parole where 1st Degree Murder does not. Schawnder declined the offer.

^ A fair trial? Why does he deserve a fair trial?? He killed someone, how is anything about that fair? Thankful he declined the plea deal and took the sentence he deserves, but see, why would you give a murderer the option to have parol? He took a 16 year olds life, its only fair the same is done to him.

I don't know. These are just my thoughts though. The death penalty will probably never happen though.

Infamous Joe is you.