Uploads
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Time Online
    25 d 6 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    5 h 7 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    I'm so impressed by everyone's entries that it's gotten me so excited to try my own omg. I had one question regarding 8 bit colors I was hoping someone more experienced than myself wouldn't mind helping me with? What makes something 8 bit specifically rather than other kinds of pixel art, does it mean there's a limited amount of colors being used? The Pixel Art tutorial Fabulous linked is great and has given me some ideas I'm looking forward to trying but it's the "8 bit" qualification specifically I'm uncertain about.
    I wasn't so sure either tbh... I just double checked in my Photoshop settings that my image mode was 8 bit colour and hoped that was enough.
    @Stardew I LOVE "ON CLOUD NINE" it's a travesty we could only submit one!!! I wish someone could submit that one for you!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

Alister (1 Week Ago),Stardew (1 Week Ago),Stardust (1 Week Ago)

Pelican Town
    Userbars
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Time Online
    30 d 12 h 20 m
    Avg. Time Online
    21 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    I wasn't so sure either tbh... I just double checked in my Photoshop settings that my image mode was 8 bit colour and hoped that was enough.
    @Stardew I LOVE "ON CLOUD NINE" it's a travesty we could only submit one!!! I wish someone could submit that one for you!!
    if someone would enter that on my behalf I would not be opposed
    No that's probably not allowed lol.

or if we were allowed two submissions I'd pick On Cloud Nine, but I spent a lot of time on Starry Starry Night and I think it shows so I chose that

BUT THANK YOU! ♥ I was worried me being all like OH I'M NOT A NEWBIE AT THIS would mean I'd disappoint because I hyped stuff up but it seems I'm fine

As for 8bit stuff, @Alister, it has to do with a specific limitation in the color palette that, to my understanding, had to do with the technology of the time! Modern pixel art can use any color we choose, but back then, it had to adhere to whatever was possible for the system. This means that when you say 8 bit color, you pick a specific color palette from a specific system, and stick to that! You can google 8 bit palettes to use (I recommend looking for ones with 256 colors) or you can just use the one linked in the first post, which is what I did!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stardew For This Useful Post:

Alister (1 Week Ago),Beth77 (1 Week Ago)

Z'ha'dum
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 248 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Time Online
    23 d 15 h 20 m
    Avg. Time Online
    3 h 43 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardew View Post
    As for 8bit stuff, @Alister, it has to do with a specific limitation in the color palette that, to my understanding, had to do with the technology of the time! Modern pixel art can use any color we choose, but back then, it had to adhere to whatever was possible for the system. This means that when you say 8 bit color, you pick a specific color palette from a specific system, and stick to that! You can google 8 bit palettes to use (I recommend looking for ones with 256 colors) or you can just use the one linked in the first post, which is what I did!
    got it, thank you, that really helps! I wasn't sure if the linked palette implied we could use all colors shown in all the tables, or had to pick just one of the 6 x 6 tables and stick to it to qualify as 8 bit.

I thought it might have even meant we could only use eight colors total and was really baffled on how you all have pulled off such lovely designs with such limited colors

Userbars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 237 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Time Online
    11 d 13 h 20 m
    Avg. Time Online
    7 m
    Oh man I have so many ideas but I've never done pixel art, even with the resources you linked I feel incapable hahah

EDIT: I just looked at the submissions thread, uhhhh you guys are all unreal, I love them all *___*
    Last edited by rio; 1 Week Ago at 04:56 PM.

Mt Thunder
    Userbars
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Time Online
    6 d 17 h 16 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 3 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    got it, thank you, that really helps! I wasn't sure if the linked palette implied we could use all colors shown in all the tables, or had to pick just one of the 6 x 6 tables and stick to it to qualify as 8 bit.

I thought it might have even meant we could only use eight colors total and was really baffled on how you all have pulled off such lovely designs with such limited colors
    I usually see 8-bit as = 8 colours, from my time at pixeljoint, so that's what I went with. However I only ended up using 4 colours in mine!

Edit: Not claiming this is what 8-bit is, apologies for any confusion.
    Last edited by zapd0s; 1 Week Ago at 06:08 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zapd0s For This Useful Post:

Alister (1 Week Ago)

Userbars
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Time Online
    20 d 10 h 38 m
    Avg. Time Online
    14 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario2302 View Post
    perhaps this wikipedia entry explains it a bit though i'm not sure myself :p
    I was a bit confused by 8-bit colors too rip, I’m not sure if my submission passes the guidelines

Pelican Town
    Userbars
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Time Online
    30 d 12 h 20 m
    Avg. Time Online
    21 m
    Quote Originally Posted by zapd0s View Post
    I usually see 8-bit as = 8 colours, from my time at pixeljoint, so that's what I went with. However I only ended up using 4 colours in mine!
    I definitely don't think that's what is meant by 8 bit, it has to do with the amount of colours they could show on video game hardware:

Since modern display panels use pixels controlled by digital processors, each pixel represents bits of data. Each bit has either a zero or one value for every primary color: red, green, and blue, aka RGB. Thus an 8-bit panel has 2 to the power of 8 values per color: that’s 256 gradations or versions each of red, blue, and green.

https://www.benq.com/en-me/knowledge...th-matter.html

And other resources on 8-bit say the same aka you are not limited to 8 colors! however pixel artists like to challenge themselves to not use a lot of different ones, for fun and because it's impressive or a stylistic choice!

Edit: another good explanation for what 8-bit stands for here: https://logicsimplified.com/newgames...-modern-games/
    Last edited by Stardew; 1 Week Ago at 06:02 PM. Reason: More info on 8-bit!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stardew For This Useful Post:

Alister (1 Week Ago)

Mt Thunder
    Userbars
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Time Online
    6 d 17 h 16 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 3 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardew View Post
    I definitely don't think that's what is meant by 8 bit, it has to do with the amount of colours they could show on video game hardware:

Since modern display panels use pixels controlled by digital processors, each pixel represents bits of data. Each bit has either a zero or one value for every primary color: red, green, and blue, aka RGB. Thus an 8-bit panel has 2 to the power of 8 values per color: that’s 256 gradations or versions each of red, blue, and green.

https://www.benq.com/en-me/knowledge...th-matter.html

And other resources on 8-bit say the same aka you are not limited to 8 colors! however pixel artists like to challenge themselves to not use a lot of different ones, for fun and because it's impressive or a stylistic choice!

Edit: another good explanation for what 8-bit stands for here: https://logicsimplified.com/newgames...-modern-games/
    Sorry, I should've specified that I wasn't claiming that was what 8-bit is, just an anecdote of my process You are definitely correct.

Pelican Town
    Userbars
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Time Online
    30 d 12 h 20 m
    Avg. Time Online
    21 m
    Quote Originally Posted by zapd0s View Post
    Sorry, I should've specified that I wasn't claiming that was what 8-bit is, just an anecdote of my process You are definitely correct.
    Yeah, I thought that might be the case but I really wanted to clear up the meaning just in case the 8 color part confused anybody! I don't want anyone to think they have to do that! It sounds very limiting (and it is, but also very cool)

Also it's super cool what you were able to do with 4 colors! It's hard using that few!
    Last edited by Stardew; 1 Week Ago at 06:26 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stardew For This Useful Post:

zapd0s (1 Week Ago)

London
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,199 Times in 1,161 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Time Online
    73 d 23 h 54 m
    Avg. Time Online
    3 h 17 m

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Fabulous For This Useful Post:

Alister (1 Week Ago),Double.Trouble (1 Week Ago),Goddammit (5 Days Ago),GreyFaerie (1 Week Ago),kittyray (1 Week Ago),LibraryFaerie (1 Week Ago),motherfucker (1 Week Ago),Nyanobyte (1 Week Ago),rio (1 Week Ago),Stardew (1 Week Ago),Stardust (1 Week Ago),TsUNaMy WaVe (1 Week Ago),zapd0s (1 Week Ago)

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast