19/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    25d 20h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m

Tesla!?

I heard on the radio today that Elon Musk is now the wealthiest individual on the planet almost entirely because of how much Tesla stock price has skyrocketed this year.

Does anyone know a lot about this?

How is it the 5th most valuable company ($830 billion) on the Wall Street Exchange when they only have around 1% of the US car market?

I know they make their own batteries. They've got the solar roof going. Their "Autopilot" is supposed to be great. I've read they are fun to drive. They are the only ones (I think) who repair their cars. They do wireless updates that can improve battery range and increase break power, which is pretty snazzy.

Do you think all those parts sum up to be worth more than the valuation of Volkswagen, Toyota, Ford, Honda, Daimler, and ExxonMobile combined?

(If this belongs in Spam, would one of the mods kindly move it there?)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cornishwall For This Useful Post:

bootiesrus (01-10-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Let�s not forget that Elon Musk has more companies under his name than just Tesla. Space X, The Boring Company, Neuralink, OpenAI... and with that, Tesla is more than just cars. It�s solar power stuff too! So it�s really not surprising how he�s become worth so much.

Tesla though is an interesting brand to me. I do believe that moving to more renewable technology for vehicles is very important for our planet�s future. However, renewable technologies are still very expensive and for a while, were finicky and not everyone believed in it. Which is partly why electric cars didn�t do so well at the turn of the millennium (see also: Who Killed The Electric Car?) I remember watching some kind of documentary on Tesla... I think it was a National Geographic one on Youtube? It was pretty cool, albeit it was a few years ago now, but it was interesting for sure. I don�t know a ton but it�s something that�s caught my eye before.

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

bootiesrus (01-10-2021),cornishwall (01-09-2021),Da Plushee Boree (01-12-2021),Goten (01-10-2021),j03 (01-10-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    25d 20h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    No doubt Elon is well diversified. I think all of his companies, besides Tesla, are private though, so we don't really know how much they are worth.

His rise from about ~$30 billion around 12 months ago to ~$190 billion today is mainly because of the unbelievable 600%+ market valuation increase in 2020.

I have a hard time understanding how Tesla could be worth so much in the future unless they completely dominate the automobile industry and the renewable energy industry. I haven't met or know anyone who has met someone with their solar tech. And I don't see them becoming a major player in the automobile industry any time soon, even though I do keep seeing more Teslas around. They aren't in most people's budget and the recharge time/availability is inconvenient for long distance trips in USA.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cornishwall For This Useful Post:

Goten (01-10-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I wonder how long it's gonna take until electric vehicles rule the world, I can't wait.. It's too expensive and a little inconvenient now.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dididi13 For This Useful Post:

cornishwall (01-20-2021)