2/0
    Mentioned
    395 times
    Time Online
    78d 23h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m

what are you afraid of?

the last week or so i've been experiencing random episodes of extreme nausea which fucks with my stomach anxiety. aka, i have emetophobia, or fear of vomit[ing]. if my belly is ever nauseous i immediately become anxious and think i'm gonna throw up and get all sweaty and my heart starts pounding. seeing other people throw up, seeing vomit, hearing it, or anything that has to do with me being around someone throwing up will set me off. i've had this since i was about 8 years old. any situation that i couldn't easily get out of if i had to throw up makes me sweat. planes, amusement park rides, the dentist, church (when i was younger), etc. and i always have to know the location of a bathroom. my anxiety meds have helped a ton with this, but i still struggle with it intermittently. i used to not be able to sleep, i couldn't eat anywhere besides my house, and if i was somewhere where i saw or heard vomit, i associated that place with it and couldn't go there anymore.

more non traditional, non day-to-day things that scare/bother me:
    - being stranded in the middle of the ocean
    - the ocean in general. whales, sharks, the deep unknown (although i'm also fascinated by it)
    - the physical act of being pregnant & giving birth (which is gonna be difficult cuz i want kids badly)
    - FILTH!! especially bathrooms/toilets (like porta potties, outhouses, etc.)

whatever you are afraid of, you're not alone! it always helps me when there are others who can understand my plights and offer support. so what about you? what are you afraid of?
    Last edited by team rocket; 12-30-2020 at 11:53 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to team rocket For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    46d 12h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    I absolutely HATE small thin round objects; like coins & chocolate buttons.

I don't know why but i cannot have them in my mouth or hands. They are the worst. Its not really a fear, just would prefer a world without them.

...and skittery spiders.

Pronouns
    she/high
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    395 times
    Time Online
    78d 23h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorara View Post
    I absolutely HATE small thin round objects; like coins & chocolate buttons.

I don't know why but i cannot have them in my mouth or hands. They are the worst. Its not really a fear, just would prefer a world without them.

...and skittery spiders.
    interesting! do they make you uncomfortable? is it like an aesthetic/texture thing? my bf doesn't like things that have a bunch of tiny holes in them.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    46d 12h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    I think its a texture thing.

Same with seafood (except fish) just too rubbery. Or a bad chief

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorara For This Useful Post:

team rocket (12-30-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    124d 23h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 17m
    oh yeah another member of the emetophobia checking in. It isn't applicable to me getting sick, but I have a deep fear of other people throwing up in my vicinity. It started due to an incident on New Years Eve (happy anniversary!!!!) when I was probably same age as you, around 8 or 9 years old, and my step sister was staying the night in my bed and me on a pallet on the floor. At one point in the night she leaned over and vomited all over me. Ever since then, I've been extremely uncomfortable sleeping in the vicinity of other people, unless they're a romantic partner. Slumber parties as a kid used to be especially hellish for me, I would just not sleep out of deep anxiety. I've been making a bit of progress on getting over it lately though! I successfully shared a hotel bed with my best friend last year and was not jittery or scared. It was a first for me, she was very proud lol.

I'm not great with needles. Having blood taken/getting a shot used to result in me whiting out and fainting without fail, though this is also getting better too with time. I donate blood regularly and so long as I just refuse to look at what is being done to my arm, I can usually make it to the end of the process without passing out.

Open air heights freak me out, most notably, theme park rides where the ground is no longer beneath my feet. And yet I love free falls, so roller coasters are very much a I can be ur angle or ur devil sort of situation for me.

absurd irrational fears
    - The trunk to my Subaru popping open when I'm driving with my dogs in the back and them tumbling out on the highway and getting killed
    - Me accidentally some day letting one of the dogs lick a knife I've been using to cut food and then slicing their tongue open (fear spawned by the fact I'll routinely let them polish off spoons before I throw them in the dishwasher)
    - Getting trapped in a siege situation during a zombie attack

deep dark sinister fears
    - my partner leaving me, my dogs dying (they are old, it's coming ) and me starting down a path of slow self-destruction once all I have left in my life is work and chores, a path that ultimately results in me killing myself from total disconnect and lack of interest in the world around me anymore

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

team rocket (12-30-2020)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Honestly I find the weird aversions that aren't necessarily fear but still make your skin crawl just as interesting (like the coin thing). I'm like that with the texture of the cheap porcelain stuff you find in gift shops. Even thinking about touching one is making my hands feel weirdly cramped.

Also am like that with spiders. Intellectually I'm not afraid and think they're pretty neat as long as they don't enter my space, but if I see one moving near me, I have the same response as nails on a chalkboard.

As far as more traditional fear-fears, it's too early in the morning for that, lmao.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post

absurd irrational fears

I have some of these, but I'm completely blanking on any.

There's a tumblr/instagram full of little comics about these and I fucking love it.
    (you need an account to see links)

Some get a little heavy/serious, but for the most part it's the weird thoughts that just bounce in your head.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Alister (12-30-2020),Goddammit (12-30-2020),Nyanobyte                      (12-30-2020),Sephora (12-30-2020),team rocket (12-30-2020)

Pronouns
    They/Them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    330 times
    Time Online
    313d 4h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 45m
    Emetophobia is so cruel. Here, do the thing you�re scared to do - because you�re currently scared of doing it. Ugh.

Legit fears
    Medical anything. Any time I have an appointment for something the night prior is a big restless build up of anxiety and stress until the appointment is over with. Its a shitty cycle that feeds into itself.

Being rejected and/or made fun of. I know not everyone can like you, and that�s normal and ok, but its hard to accept sometimes and makes me scared that everyone thinks poorly of me. Im working on some self esteem stuff, so maybe one day this can not be as big of an issue.

Being trapped somewhere/not able to leave immediately. Planes, bus rides, having to sit at the DMV, situations where I can't just -leave- when I start to feel anxious or unwell. Sometimes places like malls will get me when I realize how far away from the exit I am.

My pets going away in any capacity. Age, escaping, whatever. It all makes my stomach feel awful, the thought of them not around. Blah.

Irrational fears
    Walking over grates. Swear that the one day I don�t pay attention and step on one my toes will get stuck and I�ll trip/break my toes.

^ How to unlock and care for a Ryugotchi ^

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyanobyte For This Useful Post:

kittyray (12-30-2020),team rocket (12-30-2020),vulkren (03-19-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    38d 23h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    I only have one true dear: crickets and anything in the cricket family. I'm too afraid to even link a picture so that everyone realizes that my fear of these horrific, murderous creatures is fully valid. Even hearing then freaks me out a little, but seeing them just absolutely makes my skin crawl and true primal fear kick in. It... isn't what I wanted for myself, but here we are.

I'm also a little squicky about goop in the sink underwater. It's not a fear but even thinking about it makes me feel very uncomfortable? I refuse to even let dishes pile up in the sink because of this.

userbar by the delightful (you need an account to see links)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koto For This Useful Post:

kittyray (12-30-2020),team rocket (12-30-2020)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    93d 22h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    I've mentioned this in another thread on fears/phobias a while back but I have a maggot and mold phobia, especially having to deal with it/touching it Weirdly specific, but also really common (the mold part). I check my bread twice a day tbh. Last summer during the heatwave I had maggots hiding in some garlic I forgot about and I had a meltdown. BUT, I managed to get rid of them myself and felt very proud even though it's so silly... I hope this has relieved my fear somewhat, I am most definitely not looking forward to next time, but I do think it will be a little less scary.

Ummie and Vape made by the awesome GWN

my own special userbar made by Lyrichord
    and the awesomest ryus made by GWN, Infected & Lyrichord

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    9d 17h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Oh, emetophobia sounds harsh :/ I didn't know that it was a thing, although I've seen it in movies (family guy?) Also, the physical act of being pregnant and giving birth terrifies me to death. I get chills through my spine just thinking about that.

But my daily struggle is with my fear of insects, bugs, maggots, and such. I'm really afraid that bugs will somehow get inside the house, it's somewhat a rational fear, but I often get really anxious if there are dirty dishes in the sink or any open bags of rice, pasta, spices, tea, nuts, etc. in the drawers. My partner is often surprised by the open bags of dry food that I keep in the fridge or the freezer. For the same reason, I collect glass jars ahaha. EVERYTHING IS GOING INTO SEALED JARS.