I have some common fears like needles, cockroaches, claustrophobia and some mild fear of big insects.

However, last 4 years, I discovered I have a new fear. A fear of darkness. I thought I don't fear of darkness, because I didn't react so much in darkness.. Until one day, I was having a road trip with my best friends. We wanted to watch sunrise on a beach, so we look for the nearest beach around us. There are a few, ranging from 2 hours drive to 4 hours drive.

So, we decided to go to one beach listed on Google Maps, which is quite obscure and it has very little reviews. There are great pictures posted though! So off we go, after staying up for hours playing board games and hanging out. It was great drive, until we are about to reach the beach. We have to drive into a small dirt road with factories around. At first we thought it's fine, because some great untouched beaches are hidden in those area. We continued on driving, passing by factories with their lights shining down the road. And here it starts to get creepy.. There's no more factories, and the road became even more unclear, I had to drive slow to make sure I didn't run into some tree. And, after 5 mins of driving, it started to get extremely dark. It's so dark that I can't see 2 meters away, I started to worry I might drive into a river or sea. And, suddenly I squealed and started to tear up. My body started shaking because of the trauma and I just stopped the car. My friends tried to console me and said we should turn back. After 30 minutes trying to calm down and getting another beach location, we turned and never look back again. That's how I discover I fear darkness.

I would never do that again. I can't imagine going some outback trip with no road or building lights, it's too much for me.