Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share your tips for cleaning/organizing?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    26d 9h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m

Talking Share your tips for cleaning/organizing?

Lately I've been really interested in cleaning and have really found enjoyment in it. I know everyone has their own little secret for getting their home/car/life in general clean and I would love to hear them and exchange advice!

My latest discovery: Blue wolf multi-purpose cleaner.
    (you need an account to see links)

This is like fabuloso on crack. It takes stains out of fabric, it cleans carpets, bathrooms, baseboards, refrigerators, tires, sneakers, concrete, grout... basically anything you could think of. It took years of grease stain buildup off the floor at work in SECONDS. I used it on my hardwood floors at home with no issue. I am absolutely in love with this stuff, and best of all, it contains NO bleach. I found it at my local grocery store for $6. It's seriously like a miracle cleaner. This weekend I plan on mixing up the rest of it and cleaning every surface in my life, up to and including my soul itself.

I am not sponsored obvs but I have been genuinely so impressed by this product I just had to share it with you all!

Ps - has anyone tried making their own Mr. Clean magic erasers? I saw a video on how to make your own in bulk but I haven't tried it myself!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Baby For This Useful Post:

Digipoop (01-13-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I lived in city and always have to deal with dust. So, I get a higher capacity air purifier and let it on everyday. It makes a difference! I kept my house clutter free and texture free because those places are where all the dust settles in. So, I kept things in transparent boxes. Haha I'm too lazy to clean up because my house is too spacious.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dididi13 For This Useful Post:

Digipoop (01-13-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    30d 21h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    I haven't ever made my own Mr. Clean erasers but I do swear by them. They are the only thing I'll use to clean my tub/shower. My biggest tip is if you're able to, buy products and tools that'll make your life easier. Also, feel free to run your dishwasher/clothing washer/etc. twice if you need to. Sometimes I just don't have the headspace to rinse or pretreat things properly, and I'm done feeling guilty about it!

A few weeks ago I was feeling really motivated and washed the small mats I keep in my kitchen (in front of the sink and stove) and WOW did it make a huge difference. I went extra and scrubbed them with a brush and detergent before putting them in the washing machine. I air dried them because I don't think the rubber underside would've done well in the dryer. I swear it made my whole kitchen look brighter.

I'll definitely try out that Blue Wolf cleaner!!

lovely ub and avatar by the endlessly talented @(you need an account to see links)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LibraryFaerie For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (01-16-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    24d 19h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by dididi13 View Post
    I lived in city and always have to deal with dust. So, I get a higher capacity air purifier and let it on everyday. It makes a difference! I kept my house clutter free and texture free because those places are where all the dust settles in. So, I kept things in transparent boxes. Haha I'm too lazy to clean up because my house is too spacious.
    I absolutely hate wiping dust and I see no point in it because it settles again in a day or two.. Maybe if I get and air purifier as well it would help! Is it only effective in the room it's put in?

Cleaning in general can be such a chore for me.. So I try to follow the rule of doing something for 15 min every day, that helps to keep everything more or less in order.

Custom userbar by GreyFaerie ❦
    ~~~~

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Digipoop For This Useful Post:

dididi13 (01-13-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    124d 23h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 17m
    My primary life hack for cleaning has been getting into a long-term relationship with someone who is a total neat freak that is constantly bustling around the house cleaning

Jokes aside, I have a love/hate relationship with cleaning. I sometimes really enjoy it, sometimes I despise it for being an extra chore on top of my already demanding work life. Plus, me being kind of a slob around the house did not jive well with the ultra clean boyfriend until we found a good system that works for us both.

For me, the best thing I do in regards to cleaning is keeping to a weekly schedule that ties well to my work life. Every Friday night, barring having plans outside of the house, my boyfriend and I do a routine deep cleaning. We used to do it on Saturday afternoons but I really wasn't a big fan. It always felt like I was never getting two full days off from work since one of them always involved a big block of cleaning. But Friday night? Fridays are great for it for me. I'm so burnt out from having to think at the end of the work week that doing something mechanical and brainless like cleaning is actually really therapeutic. I put headphones in for music, crack open a beer/smoke some devil's lettuce like the reprobate I am and cleaning basically becomes a big veg out session that also happens to be productive around the house.

I tidy and vacuum (a big chore because I have two high-shedding dogs) while my boyfriend dusts, cleans the kitchen, and mops. From there I may move into a second task like cleaning out my office, my closet, or my bathroom depending on what needs it. It's a great system for us. I never feel resentful of having to do it anymore, which I often will if it feels like an ad hoc thing I wasn't planning on having to do.

Lastly, my favorite cleaner is definitely (you need an account to see links) but I'm curious to try the Blue Wolf too now =)

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Anybody (01-27-2021),Ariealle (01-16-2021),Maelstra (01-27-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Digipoop View Post
    I absolutely hate wiping dust and I see no point in it because it settles again in a day or two.. Maybe if I get and air purifier as well it would help! Is it only effective in the room it's put in?

Cleaning in general can be such a chore for me.. So I try to follow the rule of doing something for 15 min every day, that helps to keep everything more or less in order.
    Yes, it would be only effective in the room it's in. So, you need a few of air purifiers if you have a lot of rooms. In order to cut cost, you should look for the least energy consuming brands and models. For my case, I'm living alone, so I need one high capacity air purifier in my living room and the lower one in my bedroom. The electricity consumption is the least of my worry right now.

If the room has no window, there's likely no dust hanging around if you leave the door closed all the time.

Currently I'm trying to seal up my windows to test whether it helps to reduce dust.
    The 15 mins rule sounds like a good trick to encourage cleaning!
    Last edited by dididi13; 01-13-2021 at 01:50 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dididi13 For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (01-16-2021),Digipoop (01-13-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    10d 17h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    honestly, owning a roomba changed the game for me. i owned a cat for years and struggled to keep my apartment clean until getting one as a christmas gift a few years ago. now i don't have to vacuum as often and i have cleaner floors in general.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by caitlin View Post
    honestly, owning a roomba changed the game for me. i owned a cat for years and struggled to keep my apartment clean until getting one as a christmas gift a few years ago. now i don't have to vacuum as often and i have cleaner floors in general.
    I have some questions about the roomba. To be honest, I'm a little skeptical with the roomba. I wonder if, is it a good buy if my house has a lot of stuffs around like furnitures? Since roomba works better if it's spacious floor with no obstacles.
    I eat too much and I need to stop. Covid-19 is not helping

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    10d 17h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by dididi13 View Post
    I have some questions about the roomba. To be honest, I'm a little skeptical with the roomba. I wonder if, is it a good buy if my house has a lot of stuffs around like furnitures? Since roomba works better if it's spacious floor with no obstacles.
    the roomba can be tricky, as mine likes to eat cords (laptop charger, ps4 controller charger...) but usually if you can keep the floor clear of little things like that, its fine! i've also rigged mine with weather stripping to help it not get scuffed and scratched up while doing it's thing. it also helps keep my roomba from going under things and getting stuck due to the increased height.

Quote Originally Posted by npsales View Post
    I love roombas as well but at least in my experience I had to roomba-proof the area. No stray wires, sheets, anything that can cause it to get stuck, etc. They can avoid these types of obstacles to an extent but it's far from perfect
    yeah, but i feel like "roomba proofing" is good housekeeping anyway lol
    less clutter and such on the floor.

i make my bed daily, so i usually don't have to worry about sheets or blankets being in it's way. i've more had issues with keeping my floors cord free

16. The Following User Says Thank You to caitlin For This Useful Post:

Maelstra (01-27-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by caitlin View Post
    the roomba can be tricky, as mine likes to eat cords (laptop charger, ps4 controller charger...) but usually if you can keep the floor clear of little things like that, its fine! i've also rigged mine with weather stripping to help it not get scuffed and scratched up while doing it's thing. it also helps keep my roomba from going under things and getting stuck due to the increased height.

yeah, but i feel like "roomba proofing" is good housekeeping anyway lol
    less clutter and such on the floor.

i make my bed daily, so i usually don't have to worry about sheets or blankets being in it's way. i've more had issues with keeping my floors cord free
    That's a good point. Roomba proofing actually motivates you to clean up your house better.
    As for the cords, what I did to make it more "cord free" is by tying up the cords and put it into a cord manager. It helps
    I eat too much and I need to stop. Covid-19 is not helping