DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    189 times
    Time Online
    85d 5h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 34m
    I have a few plants, but I'm honestly so worried about doing a good job raising them lol. Like I want them to stay short and small forever, but they just keep growing taller. I have a dieffenbachia and strelitzia, and I wish the former would stay cute and short like it was when I got it. I also have a pothos I took a secret cutting of from my workplace :eyes: and I'm trying to figure out how to make it more "full"!

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    115 times
    Time Online
    29d 15h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    I love my houseplants!

I bought one online, a spider plant. Had it for a year or so and my dad�s cat ate it down to straight up stubs. But it actually grew back and it�s thriving. LOL. I have way too many plants to count. I don�t know how to post pictures but I would show off my plants otherwise!
    I had some going outside but where I live; all the animals outside get them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RicoBandito For This Useful Post:

Crow (11-15-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    7d 6h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Ooh me! I have a monstera adansonii & deliciosa (who are looking very unhappy after winter whomp), an elephant ears, cowardly lion begonia, chinese money plant, an iron cross oxalis, buddha belly fig, fiddle leaf fig and an indian rope hoya.

I'm so bad at looking after myself it makes me happy I can look after them.

(you need an account to see links)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saltygem For This Useful Post:

Alister (12-19-2020),kittyray (11-20-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    24d 19h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    @(you need an account to see links) Hoping your monsteras get better! I'm growing a deliciosa from a cutting that's almost a year old but the new leaves are yet to split It's got 5 leaves so far, each one getting bigger than the last. South window, plant seems to be healthy. Maybe I just have to be patient but it's so exciting when a new leaf emerges from the previous one and I keep hoping that this time it will split :p

Have you seen the variegated variety? What do you think of it?

I know they are super wanted right now in the plant world, but I'm honestly not crazy for them... I guess when they become less rare I might pick up the Thai Constellation variegation, but I'll be fine without one...

Custom userbar by GreyFaerie ❦
    ~~~~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Digipoop For This Useful Post:

Alister (12-19-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    24d 19h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    @(you need an account to see links)

Love your succs and that rainbow planter! Also very impressed by your tropicals - I want to try something like a alocasia "polly" but I'm worried about it getting brown tips.

A great solution would be to get a humidifier but mold grows super easy in my area, even with regular aeration... And that I get sick from :/ Maybe I'll research some less "picky" varieties.

Custom userbar by GreyFaerie ❦
    ~~~~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Digipoop For This Useful Post:

Alister (12-19-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    4h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I have a repair at the moment and I have never been especially engaged in plant breeding. In the future, of course, I want to have at least 3-4 plants at home. All people need this. Unfortunately, I can't give any advice, I haven't decided which plants I wanted to plant myself.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    126d 7h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 16m
    I randomly got into terrariums again and just finished three small desktop ones for my work teammates for Christmas. I'd made a larger one a couple of weeks ago for myself too.

I wish I had arranged the first two desktop ones to have a slanted surface like I did the third one. It helps make the jar look bigger when the terrarium is arranged at a slant because you can see more of the ground at a time. But I still think they came out alright, though in future builds I'm definitely making sure to keep them slanted. Even my boyfriend, a man adamantly against desk clutter, hinted he'd like me to make him one for his work desk.

Starting from the bottom up, I began these with a drainage layer of gravel to collect water. A thin layer of horticulture charcoal comes next. It helps keep the terrarium fresh and from getting gamey with the moisture, but it doesn't look very nice so I circle it with sphagnum moss so you can't see the charcoal. Then a layer of sphagnum moss over the top of the charcoal, which lets the water drain down but keeps the soil put. Soil is a balancing act; the less the better aesthetically, but the plants need enough to actually grow. That's another reason building on a slant helps; moss can go up front in the shallow part of the jar, then plants in the back where the soil is deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    I also have a pothos I took a secret cutting of from my workplace :eyes: and I'm trying to figure out how to make it more "full"!
    I'm catching up on the posts I missed and just saw this one. One trick to make a pothos look full is to propagate some clippings from it where it's grown long and then stick them back into the soil with the rest of the plant. Most pothos you buy at a store actually are a bunch of clippings stuck together instead of one single plant. I have a philodendron brasil I keep meaning to do this to.
    Last edited by Alister; 12-19-2020 at 10:47 PM.

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Digipoop (12-20-2020),kittyray (12-19-2020)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m

omg those are so nice, I love things like that, especially because of my cat, jealous of those recipients, lol!

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Alister (01-05-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    126d 7h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 16m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post

omg those are so nice, I love things like that, especially because of my cat, jealous of those recipients, lol!
    Thank you! My dogs were also part of the inspiration to get back into terrariums. I have two high-shedding monsters and their fur wafts into everything no matter how much we clean. The bedroom gets it the worst but also has the best natural lighting in the house, so terrariums are my solution to keeping plants in there that I don't have to vacuum :[

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

kittyray (12-20-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    24d 19h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    I am still quite new to plant keeping (I've a small family of plants that I have kept for years but not exactly a collector)
    Spider plants are a bias of mine - not only are they cute and easy to keep, my cats LOVE to munch on them.

For anyone that thinks spider plants are mundane, have you seen the curly ones?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to appleholic For This Useful Post:

Digipoop (01-03-2021)