Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    13d 3h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m

Any parents here?

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to be more active in the forums as I've been here for quite some time but was more of a lurker. I had a baby last year and I find that since having him finding time to spend playing games and just relaxing is so so hard. I was wondering if there are any parents here in Clraik and how you cope with the lack of free time. What do you find useful and how do your partners feel about you playing games? Seeing as how the majority of Neopets players are getting older I'm hoping I'm not alone in this.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    We have some parents in our community, yes. Even some grandparents! I have a 4yo daughter and a 2yo son. My husband and I both play games; he's a stay-at-home Dad who plays with his mates, but prioritises the kids so doesn't play anything that is overly time sensitive. After I get home from work, it's family time. We might play something together after the kids have gone to bed, but I also might have marking to do, or be in the mood to write, or watch a movie.

Kids definitely add a lot of complication to life, but that's an expected part of the package. It's about juggling. Kid down for a nap and waiting for the washing to finish? Perfect chance to play a little something. Or not - you might feel tired or want to put this energy elsewhere. I know friends who don't game anymore since kids, because how they used their more limited free time was different. That's ok too. Do what makes you feel fulfilled.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (01-20-2021),Rinna (11-09-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    121/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    13d 3h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
    We have some parents in our community, yes. Even some grandparents! I have a 4yo daughter and a 2yo son. My husband and I both play games; he's a stay-at-home Dad who plays with his mates, but prioritises the kids so doesn't play anything that is overly time sensitive. After I get home from work, it's family time. We might play something together after the kids have gone to bed, but I also might have marking to do, or be in the mood to write, or watch a movie.

Kids definitely add a lot of complication to life, but that's an expected part of the package. It's about juggling. Kid down for a nap and waiting for the washing to finish? Perfect chance to play a little something. Or not - you might feel tired or want to put this energy elsewhere. I know friends who don't game anymore since kids, because how they used their more limited free time was different. That's ok too. Do what makes you feel fulfilled.
    That is great! So nice to see others that can connect with you on another level. I had no idea there would even be grandparents here!

Your family seems lovely and so much fun! It is great that your husband understands and supports you need time for yourself. He seems really involved! I for example stopped playing Pokemon Go when baby was born as I am one of those people who feel like if you do something you have to do it to the fullest and knowing I wasn't going to be able to play always made me sad. It's hard, I guess now that the baby is getting a bit more independent I'm going to have to find the time for myself.

By the way, we are starting to have the talk about adding a little brother/sister to the mix and we are discussing age gaps! How do you feel 2 years was for you? I think that is what I would like (my husband prefers 3 years) so all the experiences/opinions I can get are appreciated!

Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    44 times
    Time Online
    20d 5h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    There's a forum group for parents!

I am a mom of 4; and while I took a break from Neo while my first 3 were small; my youngest is is just over a year and I never really stopped playing. (Ghoul Catchers while nursing was great, hahaha.)

As a parent; your priorities definitely change; but it's ok to enjoy something part time, even just in spurts, and Neo is great for that. My pets don't chide me for disappearing for months or years at a time.

My hubs also plays video games (and even some Neo!) so he gets the need for 'check out time' and my need to decompress since I am a stay at home mom of 4 crazy little people, haha. #thatismycircus

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maelstra For This Useful Post:

Rinna (11-09-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    121/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    13d 3h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Omg! 4!! You are amazing! I'd love a large family but I don't know that I could do it (I work full time sadly). I'll search for the forum again, I looked for it in the search bar but wasn't able to find anything.

Games while breastfeeding are the best yes! I must have gone through so many levels of Candy Crush in the first few months...

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    703 times
    Time Online
    156d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    I'm a mum of a very active 3 year old! I took a break from Neopets after my kid was about 1. That first year though was full of it to keep me connected while he was just a little peanut.

Now back at work full time there is not a lot of time to play. I try to balance it a bit between working out and family time. Luckily my husband works shift so my nights alone are more of my nights to play games.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    121/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    13d 3h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Yes I guess you have to make it work with what you've got and keep what makes you happy. 3 years old must be such a fun age! Can't wait for mine to be 3!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    4h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Mom of 8 all under the age of 12 here (No twins, but I do have 2 bonus children). I second that ghoul catchers while nursing was also a go to for me lol. My husband is also a gamer, so he understands when I want to play my games and is super helpful when he's home from work. I usually play after the kids go to bed and before they wake up. It's nice to sit down, kad on neo, and have my coffee while everyone is still in bed (hubs included.) He does lightly tease me for playing neo though

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Father to a 2 year old, with another on the way. Agree that finding some spare time is very hard nowadays. I normally just play some games after he's gone to bed.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    I actually had taken a few year hiatus from Neo and then I got pregnant and found my way back lol That was years ago though. My kid is now 9 and I am no longer with her shitty father and instead have a partner who is great.
    @(you need an account to see links) is right, it's all about how you juggle and it's also about a great support system. When my kid was younger and I was still with her dad, we didn't have a balance or even a juggling act going. He was selfish and spent all of his time doing whatever the fuck he wanted while I was not only the primary care giver of MY child, but also my stepsons, who were also very young. It was not good.

But my partner now is fantastic. We are able to keep a good balance. We both work out of the house (not our choices in this current timeline but what can ya do). He works afternoons/evenings and I work evenings/nights. But as a parent, it IS important that you find time for yourself and find time for you and your partner. Whether you want to play some games or take a shower when the little one is napping, do what you feel you need for YOU. Kids are great but once you become a parent, that doesn't become your only personality trait, you know?

My fiancee and I go on dates, we play d&d and we are both gamers. Between the two of us, we're able to find time for ourselves, for each other and time with the kiddo because all three are important.