Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 17h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 13m

Lightbulb On Songs, Covers, and Versions

I love music!

One of the best things about music is seeing how many different versions of a song there can be, whether they're performed by different artists (so covers), or just a new version of the song by the original artist - maybe a live recording, a later version, or a sweet acoustic!

In the world we live in now, it's so easy for amazingly talented musicians to share their content. Usually I would pick one of those to share here, but at the moment, the one that's fresh in my mind is a recent Miley Cyrus + The Social Distancers cover of Britney Spears' "Gimme More."

Miley's range is really great, turning this into a slow rock number is brilliant. The only crime is she only did two'ish minutes of it.

What's a cover or lesser known version of a song that you love?

Note -- You can't just drop a youtube link and run, there's a (you need an account to see links). Please share what it is you like about this version as opposed to the original release by the original artist, and if you do think it's superior, why.

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PrettySarcastic For This Useful Post:

Danny Phantom (02-21-2021),My name is Yoshikage Kira (02-13-2021),Pringle (02-16-2021),RicoBandito (02-12-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I wouldn't consider myself a fan, but I feel like Miley has really come into her own over the years. I can't say I'm a fan of this reimagining of Gimme More, but I did love her Jolene cover.

Right now I keep thinking about songs that are covers that most people don't realize are covers (though now I'm completely blanking on any except for Natalie Imbruglia's Torn) and am trying to avoid getting distracted googling that.

Last time you made a thread about sharing songs I got too caught up deciding what to share, so I"m trying to do it right away this time.

A few months ago a series of "medieval covers" of pop songs showed up in my youtube recs and I really enjoyed them:
    (you need an account to see links)

Might as well go with Jolene again as my example, but there are half a dozen more:

These are in no particular order and partially found from searching my YT search history for the word "cover", so I'm probably forgetting things I've really enjoyed in the past.

Going off your post, some more Britney rep:

(this guy is fucking cool, if you check out nothing else that i post, check him out)

I still find Astronaut Chris Hadfield's cover of Space Oddity really beautiful.

Nataly Dawn's cover of Careless Whisper was something I didn't even know I wanted when I heard it for the first time during the Watchmen miniseries.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

RicoBandito (02-12-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    I really like different styles being brought to music. I'm a big fan of Postmodern Jukebox (I'm a sucker for vintage and big band and all those classy things, so it's only to be expected), and love how they can take contemporary music and reimagine them.

The original Hit 'Em Up Style was something I'd bought on cd in high school, because I really liked the brass in the original. This version runs with that and takes it to so much of a sexier place.

I'm not a Britney fan, but I do like the original Toxic. I feel like this slowed down 30s version is just, again sexier. It allows the lyrics to come through better, more poetically, more emphatically.

On a very different note, I also really like some of Jonathan Young's covers. I'm not someone to listens to metal, but he has some really great versions, particularly of Disney villain songs (which, let's face it, are always the most interesting songs). Because they're naturally darker, they lend themselves well to having that stronger instrumentation of rock and metal. This one is over an hour of Disney villain covers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Da Plushee Boree (10-19-2020)

Pronouns
    They/Them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    330 times
    Time Online
    313d 4h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 45m
    Oh gosh, so happy to be able to share this! OK. Richard Cheese, he and his band redo popular songs and turn them into lounge jazz and its addictive. You might also recognize them if you ever watched 'Dawn of the Dead'. The Down with the Sickness cover while they're at the mall, this is the band who did that cover. What I like about it is just how different it is from the actual versions, its a total reimagining. I don't know if I'd say I prefer these to the originals but its just nice to here versions that aren't trying to sound as close to the original as possible.

^ How to unlock and care for a Ryugotchi ^

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyanobyte For This Useful Post:

Da Plushee Boree (10-19-2020),Lettuce (04-12-2021)

Pronouns
    hers/his
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    43/0
    Mentioned
    169 times
    Time Online
    43d 13h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Postmodern Jukebox and Richard Cheese are GOLD!

I love covers when well done! Specially instrumental ones as Family Jules' or RichaadEB's, for the ones who like them videogames

Also love remixes, acapellas, almost everything... Back then i was loving this Daft Punk mash-up

I'm that kind of girl that could be listening to all hell riffs and guitars and next one is kissed a girl by katy perry or i wanna be like you by big bad voodoo daddy (awesome disney cover also!)
    Last edited by Da Plushee Boree; 10-19-2020 at 11:51 AM.

León the Lion Ryu,
    the "Board Games hoarder"
    Born || 2020~11~15

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    38d 23h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m

I don't actually do a ton of covers, but this is one of my favourite Regina Spektor songs, period. Its off the Kubo soundtrack, so some of your might recognize it!

userbar by the delightful (you need an account to see links)

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Koto For This Useful Post:

Aero (02-12-2021),Da Plushee Boree (11-14-2020),Mindfang (11-14-2020),RicoBandito (02-12-2021)

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 times
    Time Online
    29d 12h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    I’m gonna go a different direction.

This is one of my favorite covers of Imagine. This was made 6 years ago? I have always loved imagine for what it was (huge Lennon fan) but this one just. Gets me.

“Imagine all the people, living life in peace”

I feel like in today’s day and age; we need to realize we’re all in this together and to love eachother. None of us are getting out alive anyways. I love how this video shows all kinds of people. Singing the same lyric, together. Though we all are all different. But yet all the same, flesh with a soul. Feeling feelings. Loving. Hurting. Laughing.

I’ll stop there. Vulnerability/ emotions/ feels are something I really enjoy talking about. And music has a way of cutting through all the bullshit and making us cry at 3 am.
    userbar made by the talented lyrichord

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    188 times
    Time Online
    84d 20h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    Probably a classic answer as this version is so famous it’s part of a (you need an account to see links).

Just an extremely raw performance that hits a little different because you can hear the age in his voice, juxtaposed with the visual of an older Johnny Cash. Both are emotional performances in their own right, but there’s something very painful about this one, maybe because growing older and its associated struggles are very real.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (02-27-2021),kittyray (02-12-2021),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (02-13-2021),RicoBandito (02-12-2021)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    937 times
    Time Online
    116d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    I have SUCH mixed feelings about Miley Cyrus. I'm really glad she's grown as much as she has as a person over the years but god I just really can't stand her voice lol. I recall hearing her Jolene cover though and being fairly impressed!

Also I'm absolutely living for all the Britney Spears covers - I will go to the grave loving and supporting that angel of a woman.

Ok now back to my regularly scheduled kpop bullshit

I absolutely LOVE Ailee. She is so fucking talented and deserves the world... her cover of BTS's Dynamite (nothing against BTS, they are hard working boys who hustle) just makes me smile so much. She could sing me the ABCs and I'd ascend to heaven lmao.

Original: (you need an account to see links)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

kittyray (02-13-2021),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (02-13-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    188 times
    Time Online
    84d 20h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    I really like this thread lol I thought of another one:

Huge fan of this Iron and Wine cover of Postal Service's Such Great Heights, which appears in Garden State. I mean I love the original as well as the basic b I am, but this one is kind of a like a lullaby rendition? Sometimes I like to lay in bed on a sunny day and just close my eyes and listen to this version.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

kittyray (02-13-2021),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (02-19-2021),RicoBandito (02-14-2021),rio (02-18-2021)