Thread: has anyone had issues with return scams on paypal??

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    2d 7h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

has anyone had issues with return scams on paypal??

this isn't neo related per se but i guess it could indeed be relevant

a while back i had stupidly accepted a $2000 payment (from person through my paypal and then told by this a person A my bf was working with to send him, person A, ~$1500 through my zelle account connected through my bank account. person A was paying my bf for some graphic design work he had done and we thought everything was chill, but weird he had asked us to send him the money through zelle. very dumb in retrospect... i know.

few days later person B who had originally sent the payment filed for a return -- this lead to a whole dispute between me and paypal in which i was saying that a refund wasn't to be had because he had paid for physical goods (said person A). paypal said my reasoning wasn't good enough and thus stripped my paypal account of 2k which i obviously cannot pay them... that all being said and done, they sent debt collectors via mail after me (to my old address) but i haven't gotten any mails or other repercussions (like impact on credit) that i know of as of late.

it really makes me nervous though because paypal has my SSN and driver's license and stuff so i'm afraid this will bite me in the ass later on.

i haven't been able to use my paypal since then and i've pretty much avoided it at all costs... but lowkey trying to buy an unconverted neopet now rofl.

just looking for any similar stories or advice! also not looking for criticism as i'm obviously living out the consequences lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 20h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    PayPal is notoriously a pain in the ass. I've had them "permanently limit" my account with $5500 stuck in there in the past. They said it was locked in case anybody wanted to file any disputes. Then after 6-12 months (I can't remember) they released the funds to me. Had similar things happen before and have lost plenty of disputes due to one reason or another.
    They really do side with the person sending the money more often than not. For that reason, PayPal is one of my least favorite means of financial transactions.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and I would have been very suspicious of somebody sending me that much and requesting I send them money somewhere else... but it is what it is. I would go after whoever initially sent the money and do whatever you can to get that money back from them. It's possible they submitted a chargeback or they could have even used a compromised paypal account. It would be difficult or impossible to tell for sure.

I'm not sure how far PayPal will go in pursuing you to get that money back, but I feel like you will ultimately be held responsible for this negative balance.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    157/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    88d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Well if you lost the dispute already then you're basically screwed. You will have to pay it back or the debt collector who bought the debt could summon you to court (Depending on what state your in). If you receive any future payments maybe try Cashapp? You're not allowed to dispute on there I believe unless you open a dispute with the bank. I've been screwed over by paypal a time or two. Sorry for your loss though, I hope you can get everything resolved .

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    2d 7h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    ye def was a sus situation but we figured it was okay since my bf had known the guy irl...
    i'm kinda hoping paypal will forget about it LOL but uhhh yeah good luck charlie.

it just highkey is annoying because everyone here uses paypal as well as many other online services.

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    157/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    88d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Quote Originally Posted by astrocat View Post
    ye def was a sus situation but we figured it was okay since my bf had known the guy irl...
    i'm kinda hoping paypal will forget about it LOL but uhhh yeah good luck charlie.

it just highkey is annoying because everyone here uses paypal as well as many other online services.
    Maybe have your bf create one and use his in the meantime? If you're looking to buy just ask around. Some people here may take other payment options like venmo/cashapp/btc etc.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    2d 7h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ked View Post
    Maybe have your bf create one and use his in the meantime? If you're looking to buy just ask around. Some people here may take other payment options like venmo/cashapp/btc etc.
    ye good idea ab asking alternative pay options. may try that soon -- thanks!