Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drag TV discussion thread (RPDR/Dragula/etc)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    45/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    14d 23h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Guil View Post
    BUT for those who can't do that, and to access the non-US versions like UK and Canada, I found this reddit thread a while ago and this person is a SAINT and uploads them to a folder (and has tips on how to find seasons online) it has been a lifesaver!
    (you need an account to see links)
    Thank you so much, it's a treasure!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
    I can't agree more about those early-mid seasons, particularly US seasons 5 and 6. Partly because Jinkx and Bianca are such fucking excellent winners, and continue to be personal favourites, but overall there was so much talent in those two seasons. Jinkx is so talented that I wish I could live in Seattle just for her (and DeLa's) performances. The fact that she did Death Becomes Her and Hedwig and the Angry Inch - two of my favourite movies - just tells me that we should just be BFFs already. She was super lovely in person, as well. Called me Little Mama and empathised with my painfully milk-engorged boobs (I obviously couldn't bring my pump to the club!).

What do you like so much about Trixie, may I ask? I don't dislike her, but I do prefer her bundled with Katya than solo. Doesn't help that she was my third to win All Stars, after DeLa and Shangela, or that she was quite cold and rude when we met her (after paying extra for the upgraded tickets to do so).

I youtubed some of Pri's hosting stuff, and like some reality competition thing, and you could definitely see that ball culture and performing had that underpinning influence. It would have been cool to have known her in that way though.
    I think I just love her style, and I love her with Katya as well. Her personality and humour just clicks with me. And her new cover song, Video Games? I am OBSESSED.

You are totally on point with Bianca and Jinkx. They're both great queens as well!! I must be biased but the older seasons are just better to me.

Also, Priyanka is only 3 years older than I am! Haha, so definitely after my time for YTV but my brothers are 10 and 12 years younger than I am so they saw that era of The Zone. But the talent, the confidence... amazing.

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Druid (10-11-2020),Mama Bear (10-10-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 times
    Time Online
    40d 20h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    does anyone else watch dragula? it is SO freakin good, i just watched the Dragula resurrection special and i have so many emotions

custom userbars by @lyrichord (argyle) and @charmander (guilmon ryu)! thank you so much!

"My name isn't Rob, but I'm Robbing"
    -Thieves 2020

@guil and @delibird

userbar by @charmander and art by @dankruse !

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    does anyone else watch dragula? it is SO freakin good, i just watched the Dragula resurrection special and i have so many emotions
    Unless this thread changes topic to be about drag shows in general, then Dragula discussion would be off topic. Probably why no one responded to your first mention of it either.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 times
    Time Online
    40d 20h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
    Unless this thread changes topic to be about drag shows in general, then Dragula discussion would be off topic. Probably why no one responded to your first mention of it either.
    fair enough! i wasnt sure if it warranted a new topic, since a lot of people tend to lump em together. i will make another topic some other time about it. but im assuming not many others here watch it at this point anyway. thanks!

custom userbars by @lyrichord (argyle) and @charmander (guilmon ryu)! thank you so much!

-Thieves 2020

@guil and @delibird

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I don’t mind if this is about the whole drag reality TV competition umbrella! Drag Race is the most ubiquitous but it’s such a particular niche that it’s all kind of hand in hand. I haven’t watched Dragula, but I’ve heard good things and been meaning to

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    124d 23h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 17m
    Okay, so I don't really watch reality TV. I barely watch any TV at all that isn't either American football or anime. But this time a week and a half ago a friend and I were visiting another old close college friend and we watched the entire season 6 of US Drag Race in one (1) day and I think my life is now changed forever, HOW have I been missing out of this for so many years

I can't stop using the "I FEEL VERY ATTACKED" screenshot in every IM conversation. I think I'm in love with Bianca??? Or at the very least, will pine forever that we can't be irl friends. I was so happy that she won. I have yet to stop laughing at the Maggie Smith impersonation. My god. It was SUCH a fun lazy day.

One interesting thing in our marathon was how hard it was to find the wedding episode, the one where the queens had to dress the grooms up in drag. We had been watching the series on Hulu and that episode was just mysteriously omitted. Then we looked to try and buy it from somewhere--VH1 on demand, maybe?--and it was the only episode not available to purchase. We ended up signing up for a trial I think on MTV's streaming platform to be able to watch it. It all seemed so strange...until we watched the episode itself. It was viscerally uncomfortable watching the one groom who so obviously regretted being talked into this. Not to mention, what I interpreted as some pretty apparent homophobia that Courtney Act ended up calling him out on.

So I'm just curious, being someone brand new to Drag Race with almost no context, does anyone know if that's why the episode was pulled from Hulu and is generally harder to find? If so, is it in consideration of the groom's discomfort, a response to the homophobia, or a mix of both?

Also please recommend what other season I should watch next. It looks like season 5 is another standout per the thread, but I know from the season 6 finale who the winner is which takes a little of the spice from it.

Oh, and we did watch the first episode of one of the Dragula seasons, because I'm a huge horror fan and my friend wanted me to see it. It was the episode where the queens dressed up as Hellraiser cenobites. I thought it was really neat; my other friend was quite horrified at the punishment inflicted upon the losers (nested in spoilers)

Last edited by Alister; 10-22-2020 at 02:50 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Druid (10-22-2020),TsUNaMy WaVe (10-23-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    Quote Originally Posted by alister View Post
    Okay, so I don't really watch reality TV. I barely watch any TV at all that isn't either American football or anime. But this time a week and a half ago a friend and I were visiting another old close college friend and we watched the entire season 6 of US Drag Race in one (1) day and I think my life is now changed forever, HOW have I been missing out of this for so many years

I can't stop using the "I FEEL VERY ATTACKED" screenshot in every IM conversation. I think I'm in love with Bianca??? Or at the very least, will pine forever that we can't be irl friends. I was so happy that she won. I have yet to stop laughing at the Maggie Smith impersonation. My god. It was SUCH a fun lazy day.

One interesting thing in our marathon was how hard it was to find the wedding episode, the one where the queens had to dress the grooms up in drag. We had been watching the series on Hulu and that episode was just mysteriously omitted. Then we looked to try and buy it from somewhere--VH1 on demand, maybe?--and it was the only episode not available to purchase. We ended up signing up for a trial I think on MTV's streaming platform to be able to watch it. It all seemed so strange...until we watched the episode itself. It was viscerally uncomfortable watching the one groom who so obviously regretted being talked into this. Not to mention, what I interpreted as some pretty apparent homophobia that Courtney Act ended up calling him out on.

So I'm just curious, being someone brand new to Drag Race with almost no context, does anyone know if that's why the episode was pulled from Hulu and is generally harder to find? If so, is it in consideration of the groom's discomfort, a response to the homophobia, or a mix of both?

Also please recommend what other season I should watch next. It looks like season 5 is another standout per the thread, but I know from the season 6 finale who the winner is which takes a little of the spice from it.

Oh, and we did watch the first episode of one of the Dragula seasons, because I'm a huge horror fan and my friend wanted me to see it. It was the episode where the queens dressed up as Hellraiser cenobites. I thought it was really neat; my other friend was quite horrified at the punishment inflicted upon the losers (nested in spoilers)

Even knowing the result of Season 5, watching her get there is great. She receives a lot of shit through the journey, and has some fierce competition. Season 7 also has a pretty strong cast. Really, it depends what you're looking for though. 6 is the shining star though...you'll have to remember that a Bianca isn't going to come along every time.

Dragula is definitely more transgressive. It represents a part of Drag which is less mainstream-friendly. It also clearly has a lower budget, which comes through in the productive values, particularly in the first season. I think it's great that we have both, because it allows a wider representation of talent. The Drag King who was on Dragula, Landon Cider, was fucking amazing, but (you need an account to see links).

You’ve auditioned for Drag Race a few times. When you sent in your tapes, did you think you would get accepted?
    Landon: When I was submitting for Drag Race, I did confidently feel that I was ready. I knew at the time that me getting on was a stretch, but I kept doing it because lots of queens sent in their tapes ten times. I did it too because I thought, ‘Oh, maybe they’re just not ready.’ Then Ru made some comments and I realised that Drag Race wasn’t a brand that I wanted to align myself with anymore because they have a narrow scope of what they think drag is, and who belongs in the mainstream or on that platform. I didn’t agree and I was offended. I don’t want to give my art, time or energy to the people to don’t see me – or women – as valid. From that moment on, I had no interest in submitting for that show.
    @(you need an account to see links), I've edited the title to reflect that it'll be Drag TV shows in general.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Alister (10-22-2020),Druid (10-22-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 times
    Time Online
    40d 20h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I feel like when it comes to drag, one of my favorite things is just seeing the pure talent of the contestants, all of them have some specific talents but like on the show they all have to model, sing, do makeup, be funny, and just everything.

i wish older episodes were more accessible, there are some on hulu in the US but its hard to find certain seasons. No idea why that particular episode is absent.... I know that in a lot of old reality shows they take down episodes that use music whose license has run out, there are a few survivor episodes where they dont have them online because the castaways were singing copyrighted songs haha

I still love Drag Race, but I love Dragula for showcasing all the alternative stuff, and showcasing a more diverse cast, non "drag queen" performers may not be as mainstream but they are so talented. Soooo agree with all the praise for Landon Cider.... he's so amazing!!!

The production value for Dragula has def gone up, but its true that its nowhere near Drag Race's. Its amazing all the crazy guest stars Drag Race has gotten in the last few seasons. Even if Drag Race isn't perfect, its certainly done a great job bringing the art to the mainstream. I remember that season 1 filter though haha

-Thieves 2020

@guil and @delibird

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I feel like when it comes to drag, one of my favorite things is just seeing the pure talent of the contestants, all of them have some specific talents but like on the show they all have to model, sing, do makeup, be funny, and just everything.

i wish older episodes were more accessible, there are some on hulu in the US but its hard to find certain seasons. No idea why that particular episode is absent.... I know that in a lot of old reality shows they take down episodes that use music whose license has run out, there are a few survivor episodes where they dont have them online because the castaways were singing copyrighted songs haha

I still love Drag Race, but I love Dragula for showcasing all the alternative stuff, and showcasing a more diverse cast, non "drag queen" performers may not be as mainstream but they are so talented. Soooo agree with all the praise for Landon Cider.... he's so amazing!!!

The production value for Dragula has def gone up, but its true that its nowhere near Drag Race's. Its amazing all the crazy guest stars Drag Race has gotten in the last few seasons. Even if Drag Race isn't perfect, its certainly done a great job bringing the art to the mainstream. I remember that season 1 filter though haha
    Totally agree that it’s all about the performance - the stuff they have to do is just so much, and they get it done in character and in crazy shoes. I love just like being in awe. This is making me more sure I need to watch Dragula! Maybe it’ll be my reward when I get my school applications in. That’s weird about those older episodes though - afaik it’s complete on all its official streaming sources in Canada (Crave and OutTV). I’ve definitely watched that wedding episode recently with no trouble.