Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drag TV discussion thread (RPDR/Dragula/etc)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m

Drag TV discussion thread (RPDR/Dragula/etc)

Based on demographic overlap I have a hunch that a bunch of you watch Drag Race? And I have a lot of thoughts on season 1 of Canada’s and I want a place to talk about them, so here we go. Spoilers for like the whole thing in spoiler.

This has been my essay on CDR. That’s just because it’s the most recent I’ve watched though! Would love to chat about any and all seasons. The only ones I haven’t watched are Thailand and now Holland, because honestly I do a lot of just listening to the show while drawing or something and only look up for the challenges and runways. I can’t handle giving my full attention to werkroom chat etc, which means watching subtitled seasons would be A Whole Thing.
    Last edited by Druid; 10-03-2020 at 06:04 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Druid For This Useful Post:

Erik. (10-03-2020),Mama Bear (10-03-2020),motherfucker (10-05-2020),Werewolf (10-04-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    I'm impressed at how many specific details you recalled after the season to be able to give it so much. I won't be replicating it, but here are my thoughts on the Canadian season:

When we saw that in the intro, my best friend and I were gagged in the worst way. We called it "gay conjunctivitis"...it's not cute. Way too much. Doesn't match the vibe of the outfit. Look like an early 00s kid going to a school disco, sans the butterfly clips. Ugh, just stop. I'm also over the him and Ru shipping stuff that keeps being forced.

I watched about half of Thailand's season 1, but, like you, I struggled to be as engaged when needing to read subtitles. It's fine for things that have my attention engaged 100%, like K-horror movies, but I'd be more inclined to just skip to challenges and runways because I don't want to read bullshit drama.

Did you guys hear that one of the S13 girls apparently got disqualified before filming started?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Erik. (10-04-2020),motherfucker (10-05-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    434 times
    Time Online
    64d 3h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    I'm a big Drag Race fan! I've only ever watched the US versions and that one UK version. Couldn't really get into Canada/Thailand/Netherlands ones for some reason.... I'll be looking forward to discuss future seasons in this thread!

Also I didn't know about a new queen being disqualified??? will watch that vid now

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)
    I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶b̶a̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶!̶ I GOT IT!!!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    45/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    14d 23h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Is there any way to watch these series from outside USA/Canada/UK?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    5d 8h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I did not realize there was a Canadian version!
    Gotta be honest, I've only recently started getting into drag culture, something I thought I would have ZERO interest in as a gay woman with no fashion sense whatsoever. lol.
    But there's something really liberating about watching Drag Race.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    I got really into drag race over my time while I was laid off from COVID.

My favoruite seaons:
    Drag Race US: 4, 5, 6, 7 All Stars 2 and All Stars 3

Trixie Mattel is life. Definitely my favourite queen.

Also, since you brought up CDR: that was a great sesason. The one thing that blew my mind right away was how I had no idea about Priyanka's drag. My younger brothers watched YTV, which was the kids network he used to host on. It was so intersting to see the persoanlity change from kids TV to drag culture. I am so pleased with how Priyanka did. Iconic queen. And Lemon!! LOVE HER!

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Erik. (10-04-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post

My favoruite seaons:

Also, since you brought up CDR: that was a great sesason. The one thing that blew my mind right away was how I had no idea about Priyanka's drag. My younger brothers watched YTV, which was the kids network he used to host on. It was so intersting to see the persoanlity change from kids TV to drag culture. I am so pleased with how Priyanka did. Iconic queen. And Lemon!! LOVE HER!
    I can't agree more about those early-mid seasons, particularly US seasons 5 and 6. Partly because Jinkx and Bianca are such fucking excellent winners, and continue to be personal favourites, but overall there was so much talent in those two seasons. Jinkx is so talented that I wish I could live in Seattle just for her (and DeLa's) performances. The fact that she did Death Becomes Her and Hedwig and the Angry Inch - two of my favourite movies - just tells me that we should just be BFFs already. She was super lovely in person, as well. Called me Little Mama and empathised with my painfully milk-engorged boobs (I obviously couldn't bring my pump to the club!).

What do you like so much about Trixie, may I ask? I don't dislike her, but I do prefer her bundled with Katya than solo. Doesn't help that she was my third to win All Stars, after DeLa and Shangela, or that she was quite cold and rude when we met her (after paying extra for the upgraded tickets to do so).

I youtubed some of Pri's hosting stuff, and like some reality competition thing, and you could definitely see that ball culture and performing had that underpinning influence. It would have been cool to have known her in that way though.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (10-10-2020),Erik. (10-04-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
    I'm impressed at how many specific details you recalled after the season to be able to give it so much. I won't be replicating it, but here are my thoughts on the Canadian season:

When we saw that in the intro, my best friend and I were gagged in the worst way. We called it "gay conjunctivitis"...it's not cute. Way too much. Doesn't match the vibe of the outfit. Look like an early 00s kid going to a school disco, sans the butterfly clips. Ugh, just stop. I'm also over the him and Ru shipping stuff that keeps being forced.

I watched about half of Thailand's season 1, but, like you, I struggled to be as engaged when needing to read subtitles. It's fine for things that have my attention engaged 100%, like K-horror movies, but I'd be more inclined to just skip to challenges and runways because I don't want to read bullshit drama.

Did you guys hear that one of the S13 girls apparently got disqualified before filming started?
    Lol memory wise I kind of cheated, this thread comes like 2 days after I forced my roommate to watch it / thus binge rewatched it in the space of a couple days. Another long ass spoiler...
    Same that I’m totally cool with subtitles for movies and TV where I’m fully engaged, but yeah reality tv is... not that.

I did hear that but not much detail! Watching the video now it’s a little sus that one of the rumoured queens who wasn’t kicked off has talked publically about doing basically the exact same thing? I’m interested to hear more about this when details are eventually spilled. If it is airdropping someone’s nudes to the whole audience without their permission that is......... bad. And I think I agree with not allowing them on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    I did not realize there was a Canadian version!
    Gotta be honest, I've only recently started getting into drag culture, something I thought I would have ZERO interest in as a gay woman with no fashion sense whatsoever. lol.
    But there's something really liberating about watching Drag Race.
    Canada’s is so good! It’s new this year.

I got really deep into it like 3 years ago? I too am a gay woman, though I do like fashion and skew femme if anything. But yeah it’s so cool seeing queer culture - even if it’s not my specific part of queer culture - get SO mainstream. Drag Race has it’s problems, and it’s becoming more and more clear that RuPaul is kind of an anime villain in real life, but it’s still done so much for making straight people pay attention and engage with queer content. Also outside of that I just love the spectacle and drama of it. There’s so much going on and it’s such a crazy series of challenges they have to maintain that star quality through. Like “hi welcome to day one, I see you’re wearing some of your best dresses, please jump into this tank and pose underwater” and “make a high fashion gown, you have 1 day and your materials are from the dollar store.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post

My favoruite seaons:

Hell yeah those seasons are the sweet spot for sure. It’s when it was established and really had its footing but wasn’t yet tired. They’re pumping out seasons so fast now that it’s like less time is spent casting and the whole thing feels a little flatter. I love Trixie, but my favourites are Adore, Alaska, Katya, and Jinkx. Then from outside that era I love Yvie, Sasha Velour, Manila, Naomi, and Acid Betty. Priyanka and Ilona are both faves overall too. Cool that you recognize Pri from her YTV days! I grew up watching it but she’d have been on wellllll after my time, she and I are like the same age lol. She hasn’t been doing drag long but it’s definitely clear she has a background in entertainment (half because of the charisma and personality, half because her incredible wardrobe was obviously funded with that YTV money haha)

Quote Originally Posted by nousha View Post
    Is there any way to watch these series from outside USA/Canada/UK?
    There definitely is but I’m not sure what. I’m in Canada and it’s all on Crave. Not sure where OutTV is available but it’s on there too? And it’s on some countries’ netflixes but again I don’t know where. It’s an international sensation though so there’s literally no way it’s not accessible around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by TsUNaMy WaVe View Post
    I'm a big Drag Race fan! I've only ever watched the US versions and that one UK version. Couldn't really get into Canada/Thailand/Netherlands ones for some reason.... I'll be looking forward to discuss future seasons in this thread!

Also I didn't know about a new queen being disqualified??? will watch that vid now
    I’m interested in why you didn’t get into Canada’s - was it that Ru and Michelle aren’t there? The other coutries same bc I need it to be in English so I can listen without looking the whole time.

I’m gonna rewatch a lot more soon I think as I’m dragging my roommate into the franchise kicking and screaming - I’ll probably post similarly detailed responses to other seasons as I go. I think we’re gonna start with 6 because I miss Adore? Tbd
    Last edited by Druid; 10-05-2020 at 02:35 PM.
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    434 times
    Time Online
    64d 3h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    I’m interested in why you didn’t get into Canada’s - was it that Ru and Michelle aren’t there? The other coutries same bc I need it to be in English so I can listen without looking the whole time.
    I'm not sure tbh. I don't think it's a language thing 'cause English isn't my native either (though I can watch something in English, no TL or subtitles without a problem). I think they just came during a time I didn't really felt like watching more drag race.
    Last season was kinda disappointing for me, so I didn't really feel like I want to watch more drag race (even though I'm sure those seasons are totally different). Also, I've lost touch with the person that first introduced me to the show. They also used to be the person I've talked with about it the most, so not having that was kinda different, too. But after reading this thread I'm might give the Canda season ago soon!

(you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)
    I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶b̶a̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶!̶ I GOT IT!!!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 times
    Time Online
    40d 20h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I love Drag race! I have seen all the seasons except Thailand and Holland as well, and the Mexico version La Mas Draga, mainly cause I can't find places to watch them!

As for watching, right now in the US there are select seasons on Hulu, and you can also watch I think most seasons on VH1.com if you sign in with an existing cable subscription account (I have used my parent's account in the past).

BUT for those who can't do that, and to access the non-US versions like UK and Canada, I found this reddit thread a while ago and this person is a SAINT and uploads them to a folder (and has tips on how to find seasons online) it has been a lifesaver!

I love the show, its super fun to see how talented all the contestants are!

A little off topic, but still kinda related, but anyone else watch Dragula as well? I really love it, its crazy, its alternative drag, and the stuff the contestants do is so over the top and amazing! I highly reccomend it! Season 1 is on Youtube, and the other 2 seasons are on Netflix in the US. Warning that it has all sorts of scary/gross/gory stuff though!

custom userbars by @lyrichord (argyle) and @charmander (guilmon ryu)! thank you so much!

"My name isn't Rob, but I'm Robbing"
    -Thieves 2020

@guil and @delibird

userbar by @charmander and art by @dankruse !

• The Following User Says Thank You to Guil For This Useful Post:

Erik. (10-10-2020)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast