Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have to unfollow or block your family on social media?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    45d 2h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    I've never blocked or deleted a family member from social media, but then again my family is very, very small and fortunately for me they're all rather reasonable.
    The only oddball is my mum to be honest, but she isn't very vocal about her views - just makes 'statements' through her profile pictures here and there. After years of political and social discourse, I gave up on changing her opinions - who am I to dictate what is right and what is wrong for her? I just wish she would stop commenting on mine lol.

As for friends, yeah.... quite a few were purged from my list for speaking out on matters that go against my moral values or actively pushing their agenda on unsuspecting victims (i.e MLM schemes, vote for XYZ, share this shit 50 times, blah blah). I don't jump the gun that easily though, and usually follow my "three-shot" acquaintance rule, as I do on neopets(lol). What's this rule, you might wonder? Piss me off or hurt my loved ones once, I let it slide and chalk it up to a bad day. Do so twice and you get an extended snooze. Do so thrice and you're out of my life, ez. With exceptions of course: sexism, racism, animal cruelty and the like get the boot at lightning speeds. That applies to all extremes tbh, even friends who "share my outlook" on the world can be overbearing and downright cruel to those who disagree, and I can't tolerate that either.

I'm not all that active on social media anymore (lvl 9000 introvert here) but I, too, have been exiled from a few circles for edgy memes and dark humor, so there goes that. Oh well
    Last edited by Gato; 09-25-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    56/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    13d 2h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    I do facebook only (no twitter/instagram/tiktok/etc) and have all my family as friends except my father in law, because he seemed to post strange and cryptic comments on every photo and I grew tired of deleting them so I unfriended him. But my husband doesn't have his Dad as a Fb friend either, so I don't feel too bad about it at all!.

Neopets + GC player, collector, fanatic.
    Thanks (you need an account to see links)for the amazing userbars
    Thanks (you need an account to see links)for vector art

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    443 times
    Time Online
    64d 9h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    During the last couple of years, I started to visit facebook less and less. My family is mostly okay, and I don't mind what they are posting, it was always the other way around for me. I feel like no one in my family (close and extended) really knows me, and I never wanted to share any problems or 'negative' thoughts/experience with them, so my posting setting excluded them since forever.
    But the reason I stopped logging into facebook is - it just makes me feel bad. So many bad stuff pops there, and I'm feeling bad reading them. Mostly things about how shitty the country I live in is. So now I only use facebook for uni stuff, but even that got rare since it seems like in general not many are still using it for that.
    Now days I mostly use twitter. It's still a social media, sure, but it's a social media for my internet side, and not real life. And it has the things I like. I did had to unfollow like 2 people there, and it was a hard decision for me. One of them just brought too much real life shit into my timeline, and the other one was my ex. It was hard but I'm glad I did that.

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)
    I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶b̶a̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶!̶ I GOT IT!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TsUNaMy WaVe For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    🐸
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    77d 19h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m
    My fathers family is all blocked everytime he "gets his life together" My fathers family expects me to open my arms to him.. once as a young girl they even forced me too see him which caused me to have a panic attack. Its sad because I cant even talk to my cousins. (KEEP in mind I've rarely seen him growing up or even around)

Avatar Art By - DankRUSE , Userbar by Infected

This frog believes in you!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Politoed For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    They/Them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    330 times
    Time Online
    313d 19h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 44m
    Deleted fb a good while ago, thankfully, so avoiding family is super easy. They would 100% be blocked if it was still activated though. A close friend sometimes sends me screenshots of some of the things my dad posts and it makes me very very happy to live 9+ hours away from him. He gets super into the boomer humor/if its on fb it must be true political stuff and will argue with people over it. He's an exhausting person to deal with, as is his side of the family.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    34d 10h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I don't have any social media right now but I used to have a FB account in the past. I did blocked my family because they were really boring with things that shared/posted

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    126d 6h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 16m
    Over the years my Facebook feed has morphed from actual irl contacts to pretty much exclusively just content from hobbyist groups, weird memes from bizarre niche groups, and posts made by internet pals befriended in the bizarre niche groups. It always makes me laugh when I look at the pool of friends visible on my profile as my most recently added and it's all profiles with names like Sarah Zuccface because they keep having to make alts after getting suspended.

I have very little family myself and only my brother has ever joined, no concerns there. My dad is an ultra boomer (actually a member of the Silent Generation) who still uses a mid-2000s Motorola Razr and sends us emails like this instead of using social media

Last edited by Alister; 09-25-2020 at 06:51 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Gato (09-26-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (09-25-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 19h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 13m
    Quote Originally Posted by alister View Post
    Over the years my Facebook feed has morphed from actual irl contacts to pretty much exclusively just content from hobbyist groups, weird memes from bizarre niche groups, and posts made by internet pals befriended in the bizarre niche groups. It always makes me laugh when I look at the pool of friends visible on my profile as my most recently added and it's all profiles with names like Sarah Zuccface because they keep having to make alts after getting suspended.

I have very little family myself and only my brother has ever joined, no concerns there. My dad is an ultra boomer (actually a member of the Silent Generation) who still uses a mid-2000s Motorola Razr and sends us emails like this instead of using social media

This is fantastic.

I just spent probably an hour digging through my emails to try and find them, but I have an almost lifelong friend whose dad used to send her similar emails when he was still out and about in the world working. (He's more retired/at home watching tv sort now.) They would be in all caps, just two lines about completely ordinary things, signed DAD.

Perhaps we should all just go back to sending each other 1-2 line e-mails and stop re-posting memes and crap on Facebook.

Has anybody's mind ever been changed on Facebook, really?

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Yes
    I am very quick to block/delete anyone with awful views (homophobia, transphobia, racist, etc). Lost my best friend of 10 years this way, didn't help that he would argue and call my other friends and family some very sexist terms on my posts on a regular basis.

Am a big fan of the 30 day snooze and unfollow features on facebook. Normally use the snooze when someone is being annoying about current events. Puts them in sort of a "time out" while not having to be confrontational.
    Unfollowing is mostly saved for my family members that I love, just can't stand some of the stupid shit they post.

Thank you to carrottea for the lovely userbar

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 6h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I don't add people I know in real life on social media excluding two people who I've been friends with since high school who married each other. And a cool old guy I met in the psych ward.

My family would have a heart attack if they saw my posts tbh.

tbf they know I post weird shit which is why they don't wanna add me. They just don't wanna see it, it's not a big secret or anything. They just want to see normie bible stuff and nothing I'm interested in posting or seeing.

Edit: I don't unfriend people for having different beliefs or their posts unless they're actively trying to convert me. (aka one of my best friends is a hardcore commie and I hate communism, will never be one. We leave our ideals aside and have a 6 year long happy friendship. He doesn't tell me to be a commie, and I don't tell him not to be one. Same goes for religious friends really.)
    Last edited by Synth Salazzle; 09-26-2020 at 09:13 AM.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Synth Salazzle For This Useful Post:

Menine (09-26-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (09-26-2020)