Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you have to unfollow or block your family on social media?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    46d 12h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    27m
    yeah i deleted facebook like 5 years ago after my weird uncle wouldn't stop messaging me

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    16d 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettySarcastic View Post
    That's really difficult. I can't imagine the tapdancing that must take.

I hope that one day when the time feels right for you that you feel safe and welcome to come out and show the world your true self. Until then please be kind to yourself and be happy! ♥
    Thanks, yeah I will probably slip up one day (if I haven't already), and it'll probably be for the better.

Gyaoo!
    Pronouns
    【she ⚡ her】
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    330 times
    Time Online
    52d 6h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Yup I unfollowed so much of my family as they were very triggering for my PTSD, and were extremely vocally conservative/religious. Recently I stopped using FB all together and I've been a lot happier!

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links)

Thank you Zenitsu and Greyfaerie for my siggy UBs respectively!
    Thank you Hollow for the vector art!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    50 times
    Time Online
    15d 7h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I don't go on Facebook at all anymore, since it's mostly extended family talking about politics and traditional family values. It's a pain to be reminded of how bigoted so many of my relatives are.

I haven't really made it much of a secret that I'm a lesbian, but I don't talk openly about it either, since most of my relatives hold deeply homophobic views. In person they can pretend that they don't know, and I can pretend that they don't mind, but on Facebook we have to acknowledge each other. : o

I feel like this is an experience a lot of LGBT people have with family, which is really sad. Maybe as we move into the future, society will grow to be more compassionate.

Honeydew the Ryu
    Born: September 2021

Pronouns
    it
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    79/1
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    16d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Unfollowed all my family. My cousins are all spolit from my rich uncles/aunts and i hated opening my Facebook to see what holiday and fancy car they have been given now...
    Call me jealous or whatever. But it just really annoyed me how it was always in my face and endless pictures of duck lips and snapchat filters -_-

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    69 times
    Time Online
    42d 7h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I unfollow them, yeah. For the sake of keeping the peace.
    No FB argument has ever changed anyone's mind. I'm lucky that even the traditional/conservative members of my family are either supportive of my sexuality or keep their mouth shut to my face. I've only unfriended one family member who snooped through everything I posted and talked to me about it later.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    269 times
    Time Online
    70d 8h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    I view this way, if someone in your family is toxic in a way that is bad for you there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't block/unfriend them. Just because they are blood related doesn't mean you are obligated to stay in contact or even tolerate them. I think people hang onto the notion that just because they are family they have to put up with them but I don't think that is true. I would much rather have friends that actually care about me and share my same views then family I have false relationships with for the sake of "family".

I recently though deactivated my facebook because I was just tired of hearing about everything and it has been one of the best things I have done for me personally.

Rista 11 17 2020
    ✨️(you need an account to see links)✨️
    ♥ Thank you Lyrichord, Great White North, Flordibel, Hollow, Honeycomb, Houndoom, Stardew, Polorin ♥