Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it easy to get out of poverty?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    41d 10h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m

Is it easy to get out of poverty?

Do you think it's easy to get out of poverty? As in, you were born poor, so don't include people who were not poor. It's a yes or no question, but I'd like to hear your reasoning for it. Even better, please share your stories! Your hardships and successes!

One of my friend's brothers was talking about how "if you just work hard, anyone could get themselves out of poverty."

I was about speechless.
    To me, this isn't like the 1940s where working part time at McDonalds can pay for a years college.
    One bad health incident can put someone behind decades of earnings.
    If you're in a competitive field and you're not attractive or have enough experience, how do you get more experience??

I got out of poverty. I wasn't homeless growing up, but I'm pretty sure the reason we moved every 2 years was because we were getting evicted. My parents were in super debt. Every month was a battle between buying food or saving every dollar for rent so we don't get kicked out again because the current place was the absolute cheapest on the market. I didn't get my license or a car until I was 22. I had $0 for college. Plan B was to become a stripper.

But I f*ing lucked out. A college accepted my sad sob story and my average GPA. I was able to get some loans.
    I managed to get a job at a sandwich shop on campus after checking in with them everyday for a month until they had a no-show, that took care of food.
    I worked full time while going to school full time with extra units so I could graduate early and not get even more buried by loans.

But after I graduated, dangit, I didn't do internships and every "entry level job" required at least an internship.
    4-5 more years working at random food shops, since that's all the experience I had... I had no car but walking ~4 miles to work everyday was fine. My bike got stolen 3 times, ugh.
    But then, a lucky break! A friend recommended me to a grunt position in a company and I got accepted. From there, I got some experience, got moved around from company to company a few times. One year, the company I was at was near bankruptcy and let go of a lot of the company. I survived, I was cheap to keep. But then everyone needed to do more and, wait! I had a degree in this field! They created a new 'junior' position for me. Finally, 8 years later, I managed to get hired for a position I thought I would have out of college.

Getting out of poverty was not easy for me. At any point, my life would be very different; if I didn't get a lucky break getting accepted into college, if I didn't get a job to pay for school and food, if I didn't have that one friend who got me that one position, if my mother got sick, I would've moved back to take care of her. I also know there were a couple jobs where I was chosen over another, more qualified applicant because I am a not-bad looking female. Yes, I worked hard and yes, I made it out, but on my journey, I've seen so many people who've worked as hard if not harder than me and is still making minimum wage. It completely breaks my heart. I will also note that "out of poverty" for me is not living paycheck to paycheck and you have like 3-6 months of emergency funds.

Sorry for the long intro, I guess the question is just: Do you think it's easy to get out of poverty? Why or why not?
    Also, I live in the USA if that changes anything.

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to SpaceyGirl For This Useful Post:

Amparo (04-14-2021),Baelia (10-18-2020),carrottea (06-02-2021),Clefairy (10-04-2020),Da Plushee Boree (09-22-2020),dustyc (09-22-2020),Foxglove (09-22-2020),Goddammit (02-15-2021),Gorilla (05-18-2021),Goten (09-22-2020),I_royalty_I (09-22-2020),jellybelly (09-28-2020),Mama Bear (09-22-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (09-22-2020),nataurs (09-22-2020),Nattiee (09-26-2020),NeopetLandy (08-06-2021),Pidgey (09-22-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (09-22-2020),Roaring Moon (02-20-2024),Shawn (05-28-2021),Sora (11-10-2020),Synth Salazzle (09-28-2020),Tenko (06-20-2021),Zenitsu (06-24-2021)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    333 times
    Time Online
    162d 3h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 48m
    You have an awesome story and should be proud of yourself!

I wouldnt say its easy... nothing in life is.

I made it out of poverty.
    Last edited by Pidgey; 11-01-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Geo
    Hatched 11/14/2020

Huge thanks to (you need an account to see links)
    For the Customized Adoptable of Geo.

My gorgeous avatar was created by thee incredible
    ♡ Lyrichord ♡

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pidgey For This Useful Post:

Amparo (04-14-2021),bootiesrus (09-22-2020),Clefairy (10-04-2020),Crow (12-08-2020),Da Plushee Boree (09-22-2020),I_royalty_I (09-22-2020),jellybelly (09-28-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (09-22-2020),Nattiee (09-26-2020),Unown (09-22-2020)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/2
    Mentioned
    264 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    No it really isn't.

And the people who manage to do that despite their situation and not being from an already well-off family, kudos to you.

Hard work does affect many thing yes, but in this day and age, it's all about opportunity and luck.

I know of some people who don't work hard at all but they had the opportunity to be in large corporations where they hardly do much work, clock in late and out on time, and are paid truckloads. I also know of smart and hardworking people who are just shit outta luck when it comes to opportunities.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unown For This Useful Post:

Crow (12-08-2020),Double.Trouble (09-22-2020),jellybelly (09-28-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (09-22-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    41d 10h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    T_T (tears of joy) I'm kinda glad the first two responses have the same response as me..!

All my life, my parents have said "work hard and you'll make it" "THE AMeRiCAn dReaM"...
    They make it sound so easy and I'm glad I'm not alone in knowing (or thinking) that it's not easy and that people who are struggling can't just go into job-mart and get a great job..

Still definitely waiting to hear someone on the other side though!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpaceyGirl For This Useful Post:

Amparo (04-14-2021),Da Plushee Boree (09-22-2020),jellybelly (09-28-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (09-23-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    A lot of you have heard snippets of my childhood before, so feel free to skip ahead if you already know my story.

Short answer: "easy" is a strong word, but I'd say it's more easy than people may think. Medium answer: yes, if you're willing to work hard and make responsible choices.

I was the accidental result of high teenagers and a David Bowie concert. Both my parents were high school drop outs. We never had enough money, despite both my parents working, due to their selfish vices. Drinking, smoking, drugs and gambling took the majority of our family income. I would forego Christmas and birthday presents as soon as I was old enough to understand the impact of money spent on luxuries versus bills (my sister did not, which continues to be a sore point).

My mum has admitted to 5 different drugs used while pregnant (plus booze and tobacco), plus amusement park rides. Yet somehow that combination of risks churned out someone who, ego aside, is objectively smarter than your average bear. I took advantage of this. I earned my way into a private school on a full scholarship. This meant 2 trains and a bus each way, and I remember being given the weekly fare for this journey twice in my 6 years at that school. Most of the time, I just had to duck the ticket inspectors (caught twice - once pretended to only speak Italian, once pretended to be deaf; got away with it both times, somehow) or steal the money from my father if I could get away with it, until I was old enough to get a job and pay for it legitimately myself.

I was the first in my family to go to university. Again, working my way through. Australia's university debt system is definitely more povvo-friendly than the US one, I acknowledge. I chose a career I enjoy, rather than the most lucrative one. But I am in a position where we are financially comfortable enough to own our home, two cars and have my husband be a stay-at-home dad to our kids. We don't live paycheck to paycheck. We have a strong buffer and make voluntary contributions to my super (like your 401k, I think) to ensure that we'll be well established in retirement. I hear people in my same industry crying poor, but when I hear what they spend their money on, it's no wonder.

Want to make getting out of poverty easy? Make responsible choices. We don't smoke, drink, gamble, do drugs, etc. That, in itself, saves thousands each year. The other day I posted on a thread here that a pack/day smoker in Australia is committing more than $18k/year to that habit alone. Beyond that though, people seem to make such utterly unnecessary choices in how they live. We have a friend teacher who spends an average of $40 on takeaway for himself per day. For others, it might be about fashion/shoes/bags/watches/jewllery/whatever. For others, it might be about just having to have the newest iPhone. I get that if you earn the money, it's yours to spend. But don't wonder why you're still povvo when you're prioritising a new pair of Nikes for your kid over paying their school fees, or buying them a workbook. Drives me up the fucking wall. Or breeding beyond what you're able to support. There's one family here with 14 children. None of them are multiples. 14 fucking children. Even with the government support you'd get for them, of course you're fucking poor. Make better choices. That sort of shit is a mess of your own making, that you're now inflicting on innocent kids.

I attribute my fiscal responsibility to being raised in such a shitty environment, so am grateful for that. And yes, some people will work hard, make good choices and get screwed over by things like COVID affecting their job security. But for the majority, it honestly just seems like the most difficult part of breaking out of poverty is changing to a mindset of responsibility.

10. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Antonio (09-22-2020),AyBeCee (11-10-2020),Brutal Cheddar (08-15-2022),Cinnamoroll (09-28-2020),Clefairy (10-04-2020),Da Plushee Boree (09-22-2020),Digipoop (11-10-2020),dustyc (09-22-2020),Gorilla (05-18-2021),Houndoom (11-10-2020),j03 (10-22-2021),jellybelly (09-28-2020),Lolaloveloki (10-18-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (09-22-2020),Nattiee (09-26-2020),NeopetLandy (07-07-2021),Pidgey (09-22-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (09-23-2020),Shawn (05-28-2021),SpaceyGirl (09-22-2020),Tenko (06-20-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    4d 10h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceyGirl View Post
    Do you think it's easy to get out of poverty? As in, you were born poor, so don't include people who were not poor. It's a yes or no question, but I'd like to hear your reasoning for it. Even better, please share your stories! Your hardships and successes!

One of my friend's brothers was talking about how "if you just work hard, anyone could get themselves out of poverty."

I was about speechless.
    To me, this isn't like the 1940s where working part time at McDonalds can pay for a years college.
    One bad health incident can put someone behind decades of earnings.
    If you're in a competitive field and you're not attractive or have enough experience, how do you get more experience??

I got out of poverty. I wasn't homeless growing up, but I'm pretty sure the reason we moved every 2 years was because we were getting evicted. My parents were in super debt. Every month was a battle between buying food or saving every dollar for rent so we don't get kicked out again because the current place was the absolute cheapest on the market. I didn't get my license or a car until I was 22. I had $0 for college. Plan B was to become a stripper.

But I f*ing lucked out. A college accepted my sad sob story and my average GPA. I was able to get some loans.
    I managed to get a job at a sandwich shop on campus after checking in with them everyday for a month until they had a no-show, that took care of food.
    I worked full time while going to school full time with extra units so I could graduate early and not get even more buried by loans.

But after I graduated, dangit, I didn't do internships and every "entry level job" required at least an internship.
    4-5 more years working at random food shops, since that's all the experience I had... I had no car but walking ~4 miles to work everyday was fine. My bike got stolen 3 times, ugh.
    But then, a lucky break! A friend recommended me to a grunt position in a company and I got accepted. From there, I got some experience, got moved around from company to company a few times. One year, the company I was at was near bankruptcy and let go of a lot of the company. I survived, I was cheap to keep. But then everyone needed to do more and, wait! I had a degree in this field! They created a new 'junior' position for me. Finally, 8 years later, I managed to get hired for a position I thought I would have out of college.

Getting out of poverty was not easy for me. At any point, my life would be very different; if I didn't get a lucky break getting accepted into college, if I didn't get a job to pay for school and food, if I didn't have that one friend who got me that one position, if my mother got sick, I would've moved back to take care of her. I also know there were a couple jobs where I was chosen over another, more qualified applicant because I am a not-bad looking female. Yes, I worked hard and yes, I made it out, but on my journey, I've seen so many people who've worked as hard if not harder than me and is still making minimum wage. It completely breaks my heart. I will also note that "out of poverty" for me is not living paycheck to paycheck and you have like 3-6 months of emergency funds.

Sorry for the long intro, I guess the question is just: Do you think it's easy to get out of poverty? Why or why not?
    Also, I live in the USA if that changes anything.
    That is quite an interesting story. I think it depends on what you mean by poverty. Did you mean it in the literal meaning or something similar to your case? If so, yeah it is tough. It is doable but tough. For those from a low income family that aren't in poverty, it is possible. But from what I gathered from other online friends, it really varies where you are from. In places like Singapore, they have no minimum wage. In the US, everything costs an arm and a leg (e.g: education, seeing a doctor). In Canada, I would say it is definitely a lot easier. I am a child who grew up in low income family. We are still low income and I just recently graduated. It is definitely tricky with the pandemic, but once I land a job, everything should be smooth sailing. Things should be looking brighter for me as I've had plenty of work experience and an internship before.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zer0 For This Useful Post:

Da Plushee Boree (09-22-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    127d 9h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    No, I definitely don't think it's easy. Major props to all of those who were able to make it out of their impoverished upbringings <3. I'm just speaking from the U.S. perspective since that's what I'm most familiar with. It would require a number of factors including a lot of hard work (working hard the RIGHT way - not working hard in, say, a coal mine your entire life - even though that is most certainly very hard work <3), having the "right" mindset in a context where most people around you likely don't think or see the world the way you do, certainly a bit of luck, the support of people around you (be it teachers, school counselors, etc), and (most likely) a willingness to be very different from the people in your family/school/community.
    The systems in the U.S. definitely set impoverished people at a disadvantage. I mean, for one, the cost of university tuition is extremely high, and having a network/connections with the right people is hugely helpful towards landing a well-paying job. Impoverished areas also tend to lack some of the resources that the bigger, wealthier cities have -- top hospitals, top universities, top K-12 schools, safe recreation areas for youth, etc. These are all resources that help people make it into university, etc -- for example, a high schooler from a wealthy background would have the free time and resources to be able to (for example) be president/council of a school club; and if they lived in an area with a good local university, they'd to be able to take up an internship in a research lab, and gain valuable experience that would look great on a college application. (Not saying a university education is absolutely necessary for success/escaping poverty at all, but just trying to illustrate an example.)
    Last edited by Foxglove; 09-22-2020 at 10:07 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foxglove For This Useful Post:

My name is Yoshikage Kira (09-22-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (09-23-2020),SpaceyGirl (09-22-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 8h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Nothing worth doing is ever easy. However, there are lots of opportunities to get assistance in the US right now. Whether it's help from finding a job, monetary assistance for buying food, cell phone, cheaper housing, etc. Even with all of those things, it's still not particularly easy. It takes hard work and determination. You have to want a better life. I know too many people who have become complacent and don't feel the need to put in the effort. Then they sit back and say things aren't fair - why can't they have this or that like their friends.

I was lucky enough to grow up comfortable. My parents worked hard and made sacrifices, and still do. I started working as soon as I possibly could, and have been working ever since. I've always been very independent and don't like asking for help. I find it works best for me when my backup plans have backup plans just in case I ever find myself in a pinch and need to pull in additional resources.

The motto "work smarter, not harder" has always resonated with me. The ability to hone in and focus intensely on something until I make it happen has been my goal. I didn't do well my first year of college, despite taking top classes and doing well in high school. My family said maybe college wasn't for me and laid out other options. But I found a school and degree that I wanted. I had to get my counselors approval to take more credits than they recommended each semester so I could knock it out as quick as possible. From fast food, to poker/black jack dealing, delivery driver, odd jobs here and there - I've done it all.

Eventually I landed a nice job in my field after spending countless hours searching, interviewing and prepping to show off my skills. That feeling of finally reaching your goal is amazing. However, one lesson learned was to never be satisfied with where you are. Always strive for and want more. I've reached a point in my life where I've achieved many of the personal and professional goals I initially set and I find myself working towards defining new ones. I know there's more room to grow. I'm not in poverty, but I'm not rich. I have a good job, nice house, but I still rely on that next paycheck every other week. It's all a matter of perspective.

I find people who have come from less and have the drive to push further and achieve greater especially inspiring. I think it's possible for anybody to be successful. A big part of it depends on who you surround yourself with. If you find yourself being the most motivated person around you, do what you can to inspire others. You never know whose life you might be able to change for the better.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Da Plushee Boree (09-22-2020),Digipoop (11-10-2020),jellybelly (09-28-2020),Pidgey (09-22-2020),Shawn (05-28-2021),SpaceyGirl (09-22-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    5d 8h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Yes. My mother and father were stuck with two kids (myself and my sister) and struggling to make ends meet ALL the time. Mom was constantly pulling overtime as a waitress, while my dad was a school teacher. They were young, dumb, and in debt due to bad financial choices. Mom went back to school (while still working, she drove an hour to university EVERY day, even got into several accidents because it�s a popular moose road) and after like 4-5 years of law school, my parents finally started coming out ahead in regards to bills. My mother makes ridiculous money now, and we haven�t had to struggle in quite some time.
    She is also from a poor, drug dealing family. She had me at 20. She went to university in her early 30s. So yes, I fully believe people can overcome poverty. It�s not easy, but it is possible

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Werewolf For This Useful Post:

Clefairy (10-04-2020),Da Plushee Boree (09-22-2020),jellybelly (09-28-2020),NeopetLandy (07-07-2021),Pidgey (09-22-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (09-23-2020),Shawn (05-28-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    41d 10h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
    I was the first in my family to go to university. Again, working my way through. Australia's university debt system is definitely more povvo-friendly than the US one, I acknowledge. I chose a career I enjoy, rather than the most lucrative one. But I am in a position where we are financially comfortable enough to own our home, two cars and have my husband be a stay-at-home dad to our kids. We don't live paycheck to paycheck. We have a strong buffer and make voluntary contributions to my super (like your 401k, I think) to ensure that we'll be well established in retirement. I hear people in my same industry crying poor, but when I hear what they spend their money on, it's no wonder.
    Congrats on all your life accomplishments! Did you sister end up following your examples or is she more like your parents, or maybe they all got a bit better with money management?
    I was also reading up about Centrelink last week! Just the wiki, but I was wondering if it was easy to acquire than the US's welfare / food stamps, etc. I'm afraid I don't know much about Australia, I wonder how different my life (or the life of my friends still in poverty) would've been if we were in another country. Would it be easier? Or maybe even harder? I do spend a lot of my time complaining about US policies, but I haven't researched other countries..

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
    I am a child who grew up in low income family. We are still low income and I just recently graduated. It is definitely tricky with the pandemic, but once I land a job, everything should be smooth sailing. Things should be looking brighter for me as I've had plenty of work experience and an internship before.
    Good luck finding a job! Congrats on graduating! Aren't you glad school projects are over? I just woke up from a nightmare about forgetting to do one this morning.. T_T;;

Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    The systems in the U.S. definitely set impoverished people at a disadvantage. I mean, for one, the cost of university tuition is extremely high, and having a network/connections with the right people is hugely helpful towards landing a well-paying job. Impoverished areas also tend to lack some of the resources that the bigger, wealthier cities have -- top hospitals, top universities, top K-12 schools, safe recreation areas for youth, etc. These are all resources that help people make it into university, etc -- for example, a high schooler from a wealthy background would have the free time and resources to be able to (for example) be president/council of a school club; and if they lived in an area with a good local university, they'd to be able to take up an internship in a research lab, and gain valuable experience that would look great on a college application. (Not saying a university education is absolutely necessary for success/escaping poverty at all, but just trying to illustrate an example.)
    Yes, I completely agree! One of the blessings I count for myself was that growing up, I was surrounded by families who had essentially has "tiger moms" (Again, Asian community). Pretty much everyone that would talk to me also had parents who said stuff like "if you don't get an A, then you're not my child" so my school district ranked pretty high for test scores. Everyone working hard and "being smart" around me pushed me to try to keep up. If I grew up in a poorer area, I'm not sure I would've tried as hard (even trying, I still only got an average GPA)..

Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    You have to want a better life. I know too many people who have become complacent and don't feel the need to put in the effort. Then they sit back and say things aren't fair - why can't they have this or that like their friends.

I find it works best for me when my backup plans have backup plans just in case I ever find myself in a pinch and need to pull in additional resources.

The motto "work smarter, not harder" has always resonated with me.

However, one lesson learned was to never be satisfied with where you are. Always strive for and want more. I've reached a point in my life where I've achieved many of the personal and professional goals I initially set and I find myself working towards defining new ones. I know there's more room to grow. I'm not in poverty, but I'm not rich. I have a good job, nice house, but I still rely on that next paycheck every other week. It's all a matter of perspective.

I find people who have come from less and have the drive to push further and achieve greater especially inspiring. I think it's possible for anybody to be successful. A big part of it depends on who you surround yourself with. If you find yourself being the most motivated person around you, do what you can to inspire others. You never know whose life you might be able to change for the better.
    So many of your words resonated with me! I too have backup for my backups (waitressing for the rest of my life is fine with me; I miss those jobs..xD ), but I also have low expectations and expect things to go wrong pretty much everywhere, even though I've been so lucky in life.

Oh noooooooooooooo, I think I am so content in my current position that I'm no longer looking to move up! Moving up in my career would mean becoming a lead / manager and I just don't think I can do that. Do you think it's okay to find a spot and stay there? xD There's room for me to grow, but I'm not sure I want to be in charge of managing anybody; I like someone telling me exactly what to do.

And maybe all the stories here can help motivate someone else who's feeling down and reading this..
    Once someone's been in poverty for so long, it's REALLY hard to feel like you can get out of it. Especially if you've felt you've worked hard your entire life and have nothing to show for it. My mom, for example, she has just about all her stuff paid for by me and .. my father who had some life changing event, cleaned up, and came back into the picture. But she is forever still looking under couches for pennies (not literally) and stressed out about not having enough money even though she doesn't need to pay for anything. I've tried for the past 2 years to convince her everything is going to be fine, but she's still stressed; it's like PTSD from being poor or something; I'm not sure if this can be fixed.. Money cannot buy happiness but the lack of it can totally damage mental health.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SpaceyGirl For This Useful Post: