Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Is it easy to get out of poverty?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    15h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    getting out of poverty definitely is not easy, but it's not impossible as well. if you're stuck in a situation with dependents I think it's definitely a rough climb, I think most people fall under this category and they aren't able to climb out of it because even if they save, life is unexpected especially when you have to worry about others. it's probably not possible if you're in this category as you would have to be extremely lucky or stall until your dependents hit lategame and are able to contribute themselves.

however if you're single or partnered with someone that shares the level same financial responsibility as you do, then you definitely can work your way out and find a comfortable spot for yourself. being rich however is a matter of luck. most people, myself included, wont ever be rich and just dream about it. your lifespan is finite and there's only so much side hustling/overtime/etc that you can do. but comfortable? anyone can be comfortable if you put in the work. I've done 60 hour work weeks for years in order to scrounge by and save what I could. i felt like my body was breaking down but I pushed through. put in the work, watched videos, became financially literate, got educated, got a promotion bc of my hard work and dedication, now I'm comfortably supervising doing significantly less work than I used to.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to omegalul For This Useful Post:

Zapdos (10-28-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    22h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Things are very different now, than it is 5 years ago, 10 years ago... I remember a totally different world 20 years ago.
    Those were the days where if you own a phone, you're the coolest richest kid. If you owned a computer, you would pretty much be the only one who does so in the entire school... etc.
    For someone who never been in poverty, they would never understand the situation of actually being poor.
    Now, the richer has become even richer, and the poorer, just stayed poor. The cost of living has gone up infinitely.
    Life used to be one breadwinner, a housewife/househusband, and kids, pets, buying homes etc.
    Now life is difficult with both spouses needing to be working hard, education costs hundreds of thousands, and houses be paid in installments.

So no, it is not easy to escape poverty. There are people who are constantly trying to make ends meet, but their income is constantly dwarfed by the expenses.
    It is crazy whenever I hear people calculate their accounts, and they seem to always owe more money than they make. Is it truly worth it? Borrowing money to study, and work the rest of your life to pay back those loans? And once that is paid off, continue working to pay off debts like mortgage and credit card bills...
    Its no wonder some people get tired of it all and give up...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    114/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    101d 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 35m
    Hmmm I've always wondered this. IRL all my friends decided to go and do drugs and go to jail and just not do good in life. I just say my friends when really its the whole damn county and beyond. I always wondered why didnt I do drugs or why I didnt steal. Its because I had something to fight for, my son Aaden he was here when I was 17 and from 13 to 16 I was religiously on neopets anytime after school. I have always strived to do better for Aaden. In 2018 I was granted full custody of my son and ever since then things have been getting way better. I'm able to not just live from paycheck to paycheck and buy things I like. But Ive always wondered why was I blessed.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chupacabra For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (12-05-2021),NeopetLandy (04-08-2022)

Pronouns
    He/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    4d 20h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Not easy, but definitely possible. Coming from someone who spent his entire childhood below the poverty level. Dad made piss poor financial decisions, but at the time was needed to get by. Mom was never in the picture. Fast forward to my early adult years I quickly realized I no longer wanted to live like that. Joined the service, learned A LOT about personal finances, and can proudly say I’m no longer following that path I was on as a child/teenager. Bettered myself. I now own my house vs owning a run down mobile home. Not claiming to be well off, but not financially struggling either.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cavdude For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (05-01-2022),Emerchy (04-22-2022),NeopetLandy (04-26-2022),SpaceyGirl (04-29-2022),Unown (04-29-2022)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    10d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Like others have mentioned, it's possible but not easy.

My parents immigrated from China to Australia. My father in the late 80s and my mother in '95. From what I recall my father telling me, he arrived in Australia after borrowing money from multiple friends and family members. And the first place he stayed at upon arriving was shared with 10 other people, all sleeping on the floor. He went around to businesses on foot in yellow pages (phone book) asking if they had a job for him. He was lucky and did find a job. Other people were not so lucky. I don't know if it was an exaggeration or not but they went through a pair of shoes but still couldn't find a job.

By the time I was born, my parents owned a small business so I never experienced any of the hardship my father did and his hard work did pay off, even if I don't know all the in-betweens.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to firedrops For This Useful Post:

SpaceyGirl (08-10-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    2d 1h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I do think it's initially important to consider the exact term of poverty, which insists that you do not have enough funds for basic life necessities like food, water and shelter. With that said, I would say our family grew up very poor but above the poverty line.

We still had a rough time starting back in the early '90s. My parents couldn't afford babysitters, so I'd be left over at friends' houses after school early on while both my parents worked hard labour, low paying jobs all day. Being immigrants as well, my parents couldn't speak English well and couldn't easily get a high-paying job or education here. They spent my entire childhood juggling providing me whatever they could while owning small convenience stores to make money.

Even into my teenage years, we had just scrounged together some money for a cheap old van, and we moved to another part of the country to invest longer term in another larger convenience store. When they bought the building on a payback lease, the upstairs building that used to be a hair salon became our home. Trying to save money, my mother worked long days standing on her feet helping at the till, dealing with staff training, scheduling, etc. and my father handled all of the accounting, heavy lifting, driving out to purchase inventory, etc.
    A lot of the time, they'd happily let friends come over to hang out to keep me company while they worked, but they ended up being too busy, leaving us to order cheap pizza to sustain ourselves.
    These two small shops they ran lasted almost 20 years when combined. That's when they finally scraped out of living poor and invested in their first house, a nice duplex overlooking a lake.

In the meanwhile, I myself started working long hours at McDonald's at 15, under grouchy managers, terrible pay and even worse hours, and saving every penny I could. For about 5 years I worked in a fast food, making small change.

It was only about 5 years ago now that our family took a look at where we are and agreed that all of our hardships paid off. Living in dingy apartments, reworked spaces, working minimum wage jobs for long hours, etc. for almost 25 years, my parents are finally getting to a point of comfort to invest a bit more into their retirement funds. I'm also at a very nice job, with my own apartment and maybe even by next year, my first mortgage.

Is it easy to get out of poverty? Absolutely not. We were slightly above the poverty line and it took us about 25 years of hard times to get to the mid-upper class level. That also has the benefit of better sustainability at that level. If you scrape out of the poverty line into the poor class, it only takes one event to toss you right back in. You have to lay a lot of groundwork, using resources you don't have and find a way to find your own sustainability and gradually climb out. It definitely can be done for those who stay proactive instead of reactive, but it is by no means easy, or we wouldn't have such a big poverty issue in the world.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HiroiSekai For This Useful Post:

♥ pillowfighter ♥ (08-07-2022),SpaceyGirl (08-10-2022)

Pronouns
    any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    97/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    18d 23h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Sure, if you don't have a disability and you have people around you to support you emotionally. And even then a lot comes down to luck and circumstance.

Not being able to drive due to a disability when you live in a part of rural America where minimum wage is your only option and internet sucks? You're gonna have a really hard time trying to rise above.
    Last edited by Raposa; 08-07-2022 at 02:42 AM.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    87d 12h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Sure, if you don't have a disability and you have people around you to support you emotionally. And even then a lot comes down to luck and circumstance.

Not being able to drive due to a disability when you live in a part of rural America where minimum wage is your only option and internet sucks? You're gonna have a really hard time trying to rise above.
    Yea any disability or medical problem like T1 Diabetes is not only a bigger financial burden to carry but also an extra mountain to climb. It also closes many doors to opportunities one could have pursued if it was not for the disability or illness.

@(you need an account to see links) your a great sucess story. What resources did you use to learn more about personal finances.

Pronouns
    He/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    4d 20h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasia View Post
    Yea any disability or medical problem like T1 Diabetes is not only a bigger financial burden to carry but also an extra mountain to climb. It also closes many doors to opportunities one could have pursued if it was not for the disability or illness.

@(you need an account to see links) your a great sucess story. What resources did you use to learn more about personal finances.
    Mostly trail and error from watching my father growing up. I did 10 years in the armed services and picked up a thing or two from all financial classes that they made us attend regularly.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cavdude For This Useful Post:

phantasia (08-10-2022)

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I think it really depends on the country you live in. I have multiple health problems, can't go to work due to this, so I'm living on a benefit. My country has a good health system, so I have minimum wage. But I live in a nice apartment, I have food and clothing, ... And when I really need something I can't afford I try to save for it or look for it in a thrift store or online if possible.

But if you can go to work it sure is possible to get out of poverty. But you have to be lucky (that's with everything in life...)