Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is it easy to get out of poverty?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    15h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    getting out of poverty definitely is not easy, but it's not impossible as well. if you're stuck in a situation with dependents I think it's definitely a rough climb, I think most people fall under this category and they aren't able to climb out of it because even if they save, life is unexpected especially when you have to worry about others. it's probably not possible if you're in this category as you would have to be extremely lucky or stall until your dependents hit lategame and are able to contribute themselves.

however if you're single or partnered with someone that shares the level same financial responsibility as you do, then you definitely can work your way out and find a comfortable spot for yourself. being rich however is a matter of luck. most people, myself included, wont ever be rich and just dream about it. your lifespan is finite and there's only so much side hustling/overtime/etc that you can do. but comfortable? anyone can be comfortable if you put in the work. I've done 60 hour work weeks for years in order to scrounge by and save what I could. i felt like my body was breaking down but I pushed through. put in the work, watched videos, became financially literate, got educated, got a promotion bc of my hard work and dedication, now I'm comfortably supervising doing significantly less work than I used to.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to omegalul For This Useful Post:

Zapdos (10-28-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    22h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Things are very different now, than it is 5 years ago, 10 years ago... I remember a totally different world 20 years ago.
    Those were the days where if you own a phone, you're the coolest richest kid. If you owned a computer, you would pretty much be the only one who does so in the entire school... etc.
    For someone who never been in poverty, they would never understand the situation of actually being poor.
    Now, the richer has become even richer, and the poorer, just stayed poor. The cost of living has gone up infinitely.
    Life used to be one breadwinner, a housewife/househusband, and kids, pets, buying homes etc.
    Now life is difficult with both spouses needing to be working hard, education costs hundreds of thousands, and houses be paid in installments.

So no, it is not easy to escape poverty. There are people who are constantly trying to make ends meet, but their income is constantly dwarfed by the expenses.
    It is crazy whenever I hear people calculate their accounts, and they seem to always owe more money than they make. Is it truly worth it? Borrowing money to study, and work the rest of your life to pay back those loans? And once that is paid off, continue working to pay off debts like mortgage and credit card bills...
    Its no wonder some people get tired of it all and give up...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    20d 14h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 53m
    Hmmm I've always wondered this. IRL all my friends decided to go and do drugs and go to jail and just not do good in life. I just say my friends when really its the whole damn county and beyond. I always wondered why didnt I do drugs or why I didnt steal. Its because I had something to fight for, my son Aaden he was here when I was 17 and from 13 to 16 I was religiously on neopets anytime after school. I have always strived to do better for Aaden. In 2018 I was granted full custody of my son and ever since then things have been getting way better. I'm able to not just live from paycheck to paycheck and buy things I like. But Ive always wondered why was I blessed.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blackbeard For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (12-05-2021),NeopetLandy (04-08-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    20h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Not easy, but definitely possible. Coming from someone who spent his entire childhood below the poverty level. Dad made piss poor financial decisions, but at the time was needed to get by. Mom was never in the picture. Fast forward to my early adult years I quickly realized I no longer wanted to live like that. Joined the service, learned A LOT about personal finances, and can proudly say I’m no longer following that path I was on as a child/teenager. Bettered myself. I now own my house vs owning a run down mobile home. Not claiming to be well off, but not financially struggling either.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cavdude For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (3 Weeks Ago),Emerchy (4 Weeks Ago),NeopetLandy (3 Weeks Ago),SpaceyGirl (3 Weeks Ago),Unown (3 Weeks Ago)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    7d 18h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Like others have mentioned, it's possible but not easy.

My parents immigrated from China to Australia. My father in the late 80s and my mother in '95. From what I recall my father telling me, he arrived in Australia after borrowing money from multiple friends and family members. And the first place he stayed at upon arriving was shared with 10 other people, all sleeping on the floor. He went around to businesses on foot in yellow pages (phone book) asking if they had a job for him. He was lucky and did find a job. Other people were not so lucky. I don't know if it was an exaggeration or not but they went through a pair of shoes but still couldn't find a job.

By the time I was born, my parents owned a small business so I never experienced any of the hardship my father did and his hard work did pay off, even if I don't know all the in-betweens.