33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    126d 14h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 15m

Favorite horror movies by category

For two glorious nights this week, the temperature here briefly dropped from the nineties to a brisk 65 degrees so naturally, it is now Halloween season. I love horror movies and it's impossible to pick a single favorite, so here's my favorites by type. What would make your list?

Slasher: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Honorary mention to the Joe Spinell version of Maniac for its final five minutes, though.

Haunted House: House (1977), aka Hausu. There's a Rotten Tomatoes review for House to the effect of "Watching this movie feels like taking some bad acid and crashing a teenage girl's slumber party" and that's a pretty on point description

Demon/Demon Possession: Evil Dead 2

Zombie (Serious): Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Zombie (Humorous): Planet Terror

Witch: Suspiria (1977)

Vampire: Near Dark. Bill Paxton is even better as Severen than he is as Hudson and I will die on this hill

Werewolf: Cat People (1982) (it's werepanthers but close enough)

Scifi/Mad Scientist: Frankenhooker. I have a pet peeve of horror movies with punchline titles. There's way too many out there where the absurd title turns out to be the best part and the rest of the movie is super bland. Frankenhooker is a rare exception. It's actually fantastic. And it comes with a recommendation from Bill Murray on the DVD cover, which is so funny to me

Movie that actually freaks you out: Hereditary

Personal other favorite: I can't believe they let Peter Jackson make Lord of the Rings after he made Dead Alive

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Furina (09-26-2020),lepasm (02-18-2021),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (09-13-2020)