33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    124d 23h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 17m

Favorite horror movies by category

For two glorious nights this week, the temperature here briefly dropped from the nineties to a brisk 65 degrees so naturally, it is now Halloween season. I love horror movies and it's impossible to pick a single favorite, so here's my favorites by type. What would make your list?

Slasher: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Honorary mention to the Joe Spinell version of Maniac for its final five minutes, though.

Haunted House: House (1977), aka Hausu. There's a Rotten Tomatoes review for House to the effect of "Watching this movie feels like taking some bad acid and crashing a teenage girl's slumber party" and that's a pretty on point description

Demon/Demon Possession: Evil Dead 2

Zombie (Serious): Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Zombie (Humorous): Planet Terror

Witch: Suspiria (1977)

Vampire: Near Dark. Bill Paxton is even better as Severen than he is as Hudson and I will die on this hill

Werewolf: Cat People (1982) (it's werepanthers but close enough)

Scifi/Mad Scientist: Frankenhooker. I have a pet peeve of horror movies with punchline titles. There's way too many out there where the absurd title turns out to be the best part and the rest of the movie is super bland. Frankenhooker is a rare exception. It's actually fantastic. And it comes with a recommendation from Bill Murray on the DVD cover, which is so funny to me

Movie that actually freaks you out: Hereditary

Personal other favorite: I can't believe they let Peter Jackson make Lord of the Rings after he made Dead Alive

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Furina (09-26-2020),lepasm (02-18-2021),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (09-13-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 17h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 13m
    Quote Originally Posted by alister View Post
    Movie that actually freaks you out: Hereditary
    I can't tell you how unsettling this movie was for me, oh my gosh, seconded PRAISE.

Toni Collette is a beast. The child actor who plays Charlie and Alex Wolff who plays Peter are also just outstanding.

I realize in watching youtube reviews and analyses of this film how much I missed in the first watching of it, but it is so disturbing I really don't feel I can watch the whole movie a second time to try and appreciate that myself. I just have to +like the youtubers who do it for me and shake my head.

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PrettySarcastic For This Useful Post:

Alister (09-13-2020)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    117/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    93d 19h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    I couldn't classify them by category, but my favorite one (and by that I mean the scariest one that I would NEVER watch again) is Babadook.

I still get shivers when I see that fucking name.

Anyway, I've heard good stuff about Hereditary. Sounded like a psychological horror movie when I read a bit about it and watched the trailer, but I guess I'll watch it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinecone For This Useful Post:

Alister (09-13-2020)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I watched Hereditary on a plane because I had only seen a couple reviews from people disappointed it wasn't, like, your classic bullshit and I'm SO upset I wasted my first viewing experience in the context, especially because it was the kind of grim movie I know I would have a hard time watching again (like Requiem For A Dream).

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Alister (09-13-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    5d 5h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Slasher: Hellfest. I like films that are based over one night or several hours.

Zombie (Serious): World War Z

Zombie (Humorous): Shaun of the Dead

Witch: Practical Magic - not really a horror but it is a great witch movie

Vampire: Queen of the Damned - don't judge me, I love this movie so much

Movie that actually freaks you out: The Woman in Black - I saw this at the cinema and I jumped a million times

Personal other favorite: The Skeleton Key

I just like whatever. I love horror but there just hasn't been a film where I've thought, d'you know what, this is a great movie. Slenderman was terrible but that game is terrifying. I had high hopes but they were dashed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeri For This Useful Post:

Alister (09-25-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    15d 23h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    If you haven't tried it out already, I highly recommend Shudder. It's similar to Netflix but specifically offers a range of horror and thriller titles.
    Two movies in particular that I watched from there recently were Terrified and Behind The Mask.

Terrified is very Stephen King like in it's strangeness, I'd actually akin the feeling the movie gives you to that of Pet Sematary, but there's a sci-fi vibe that you'd have to watch the movie to understand. I wouldn't say this movie is scary in anyway, but it is definitely disturbing and it just sits with you.

Behind The Mask is a WONDERFUL B-grade, comedy style horror without the OTT charades. The movie universe is set in a time where slasher stars Freddy, Jason and Chucky exist in real life. Leslie is an upcoming wannabee serial killer and this documentary style horror takes you through his daily life. It's very clever and just an overall funny, enjoyable movie.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombabe For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    They/Them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    330 times
    Time Online
    313d 4h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 45m
    Slasher: Halloween, the Rob Zombie remake

Haunted House: Not so much haunted house, but stuck in a house with creepy stuff going on, A Dark Song.

Demon/Demon Possession: The Shrine or The Last Exorcism

Zombie (Serious): 28 Days Later & 28 Weeks Later. SO GOOD.

Zombie (Humorous): Shaun of the Dead

Witch: The Craft or The Witch

Vampire: Bram Stokers Dracula, its a classic, and so well done.

Scifi/Mad Scientist: I am Mother

Movie that actually freaks you out: From the same the director of Hereditary, Midsommar made me SO uncomfortable. Would 10/10 watch over and over again.
    Sinister was another great movie that was pretty disturbing the first time watched. The home movies/tapes were unsettling to say the least.

Personal other favorite: House of 1000 Corpses, Silent Hill, Martyrs (original not remake), The Collector, ABC's of Death (great anthology) are all movies I'd highly recommend for the spooky season!

Also @(you need an account to see links) is spot on with Shudder! They have a lot of really good movies, and frequently come out with their own content as well. Would recommend Shrew's Nest if you haven't gotten to it yet!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nyanobyte For This Useful Post:

Alister (09-25-2020)