17/0
    Mentioned
    306 times
    Time Online
    134d 4h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m

K-Pop - Taking North America by Storm

It's no secret that K-Pop acts have made their way to main-stream media in North America.

This past few weeks, artists BTS and BLACKPINK have made North American radio Debuts with new singles.

Catchy beats and lyrics and fun choreography make the videos online very popular.

This thread is dedicated to discussing K-Pop and everything to go along with it! Discuss your faves, biases, and upcoming releases! It's nice to have one place with a lot of the information

I'll update this post soon!

Groups with North American Contracts:
    (G)-Idle - Republic Records
    BTS - Columbia Records
    BLACKPINK - Interscope
    Red Velvet - TBA
    Last edited by motherfucker; 08-31-2020 at 01:04 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to motherfucker For This Useful Post:

Blue-tooth (08-31-2020),bootiesrus (09-01-2020),Danny Phantom (08-31-2020),paris hilton (09-21-2020),Stardust (08-31-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    64 times
    Time Online
    36d 19h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m

Hyolyn! <3 she's super underrated in my opinion, amazing singer and dancer.

I also love BTS, they absolutely deserve everything for their hard work! They're such fun to watch!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bootiesrus For This Useful Post:

motherfucker (08-31-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    57/0
    Mentioned
    146 times
    Time Online
    49d 9h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    I'm not a huge fan of K-pop, but I'm a LoL player and I wanted to hear opinions on the new K/DA song 'The Baddest'
    Did you guys like it? I personally liked it more than their first song, catchy lyrics and that Soyeon is a fking beast, she's my favorite

Last edited by Attack; 08-31-2020 at 07:29 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Attack For This Useful Post:

motherfucker (08-31-2020)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    127 times
    Time Online
    51d 20h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Thanks for the thread, it's a great idea!

I've been an ahgase for 6 years now, boy I feel old lol

To any passerby user, please enjoy this delightful song - it's not the main track nor it has a stage but oh boy I LOVE this song and think it needs more attention. It was my #1 played on spotify last year - which says a lot 'cause it was released by the end of the year

GOT7's songs are super relatable and cool. If you're into those songs that makes you question your entire life, I recommend:
    Nobody Knows (a solo by the main vocal, Youngjae, I can't even describe the lyrics to this song)
    I Am Me (there's a stage of this one if you're into coolio dances and... lots of feathers)
    Take me to you (amazing ballad, it's on my top 5 favorite songs of all time)
    Eclipse (a really dope main track about anxiety; I actually sent the MV to my 3 closest friends as a little message lol)

Edit: added Eclipse into the spoiler tags (to avoid taking up space) for those who are curious about the MV (there's closed captions in English).

My fave and #1 bias is Regina George herself, Park Jinyoung.

I used to listen to BTS between 2015-2018, but they kinda lost me after Love Yourself: Answer. There's still some of their new songs I really like, like ON and Boy with Luv, but I gradually stopped listening to them. It just happened, no idea why tbh; I just feel their songs don't really appeal that much to me anymore. I do love Magic Shop, Run, Tomorrow & I Need U, those are my jams and I still listen to them from time to time.
    Last edited by Danny Phantom; 08-31-2020 at 10:34 PM.
    Amazing userbar by the talented (you need an account to see links)

P O L T E R G E I S T

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danny Phantom For This Useful Post:

bootiesrus (09-01-2020),motherfucker (09-01-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Attack View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of K-pop, but I'm a LoL player and I wanted to hear opinions on the new K/DA song 'The Baddest'
    Did you guys like it? I personally liked it more than their first song, catchy lyrics and that Soyeon is a fking beast, she's my favorite

See, I know that it'll take me a few listens to have a fair opinion, but I was very much opposed to half the original voices being replaced. It just didn't feel like the same KDA, because it wasn't. I'm not a fan of the idea behind the song (as a teacher, I think bragging about how you're the 'baddest' is stupid), but it has some good rhymes. It did irk me a bit that it made a point of the diamonds and hearts (even with the heart card imagery) but didn't follow through with the spades/clubs (unless that was in Korean?).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

motherfucker (09-01-2020)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    117/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    93d 19h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    That's very cool! Was this kpop invasion recent or something? I know kpop has been very, very popular for years where I live. It's not my favorite genre, but they do have some catchy songs here, and others that bring memories to me there.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    306 times
    Time Online
    134d 4h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
    See, I know that it'll take me a few listens to have a fair opinion, but I was very much opposed to half the original voices being replaced. It just didn't feel like the same KDA, because it wasn't. I'm not a fan of the idea behind the song (as a teacher, I think bragging about how you're the 'baddest' is stupid), but it has some good rhymes. It did irk me a bit that it made a point of the diamonds and hearts (even with the heart card imagery) but didn't follow through with the spades/clubs (unless that was in Korean?).
    IMO, the voices they replaced weren't all that unique anyways. I don't love the concept of rotating artists pretending to be characters from a game (I want to love an artist), but for these songs, I don't know that I mind.

If you told me that Madison Beer was Bea Miller, I'd believe you. And Jaira burns really only added ad-libs from what I can tell on Pop Stars.

The main voices they need to keep (and are keeping) from what I can tell are the Korean ones, which make sense as Soyeon (Akali) is the one that helped produce both songs. She is a producer for her own groups' songs as well.

FYI: G-Idle recently did their own full version of Pop Stars:

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Noxus View Post
    That's very cool! Was this kpop invasion recent or something? I know kpop has been very, very popular for years where I live. It's not my favorite genre, but they do have some catchy songs here, and others that bring memories to me there.
    I'm part of a few music forums online.
    From what I can tell, mainly English markets really saw groups like F(X) and Girls Generation in 2015/2016. (That's when I first noticed threads popping up).

It wasn't until Playing With Fire by BLACKPINK (late 2016) that places like Buzzfeed and whatnot started REALLY posting about Kpop. From there, I think people started noticing Kpop groups on iTunes charts and really just getting into it from there.

The videos become VERY popular very quickly and often have millions of views within the first few hours of debuting.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    38d 23h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    Not a stan or anything, but there are some REAL jams in K-pop going all the way back to the mid-aughts IMO. I tend to listen to just a few songs that I really enjoy across a variety of bands, but I will drop EXO's excellent GROWL MV because the choreography in this does the same thing that Florence Welch does when she hits the note.

@(you need an account to see links) GOT7 is so underrated!!! And Pray is one of my faves of theirs <3

userbar by the delightful (you need an account to see links)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koto For This Useful Post:

Danny Phantom (09-01-2020),motherfucker (09-01-2020)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    127 times
    Time Online
    51d 20h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto View Post
    Not a stan or anything, but there are some REAL jams in K-pop going all the way back to the mid-aughts IMO. I tend to listen to just a few songs that I really enjoy across a variety of bands, but I will drop EXO's excellent GROWL MV because the choreography in this does the same thing that Florence Welch does when she hits the note.

@(you need an account to see links) GOT7 is so underrated!!! And Pray is one of my faves of theirs <3
    OMG Growl, that makes me super nostalgic. Monster, The Eve and Lotto are also pretty cool songs by EXO.
    Exactly! They really deserve some more love. I'm kinda scared about the contract renewal as theirs end on the beginning of 2021.
    Amazing userbar by the talented (you need an account to see links)

P O L T E R G E I S T

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny Phantom For This Useful Post:

Koto (09-01-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    3h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I'm not like a huge stan, but I'd say I'm a fan! To be honest, though, I don't really know a lot about groups that came out after like 2015. I still listen to new SHINee, f(x), Girl's Generation, Infinite, B1A4, Red Velvet, Mamamoo, NU'EST, etc. songs when they come out, but not really songs from groups newer than that. Does anyone have any suggestions? From what I've listened to that is newer, I enjoy Oneus and Twice. I like G-Idle as well.