Uploads
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Time Online
    16 d 22 h 48 m
    Avg. Time Online
    29 m

Whats your language?

So I've gone quiet on the forums a little here because I have been trying to learn coding/programming languages. So far I have been trying to learn the basics, I started refreshing myself on HTML because I only knew the basic HTML 4 code from like 2000.. So I started with learning what I could with HTML 5. Then I moved on to CSS because I never learned it before, I always thought it was a cool coding language because of how flexible it is. Now that I learned what and how I can use those two I am moving on to Javascript. I feel javascript is a very diverse coding language to learn, it will come in handy with Neopets GM and TM scripting! I have been taking all that I am learning slow so I can learn it the right way. I dedicate 2 - 3 hrs a day reading about them.

After I am done with Javascript and all of its side languages I would like to move on from Coding languages to actual Programming languages. So, what are the languages you know? What would you suggest I start learning first when I'm ready? My ultimate goal is to make Neopet programs/scripts that are useful for myself and share them with the community here.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 974 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Time Online
    112 d 20 h 26 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 3 m
    I teach introductory Python and find it to be a very beginner-friendly language! I'm shit at most others, if we're being honest.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

omg.UFOs (3 Weeks Ago)

Userbars
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Time Online
    7 d 10 h 43 m
    Avg. Time Online
    4 m
    HTML was my first thing I learnt as well! I then moved on to Javascript which was a big mistake because it's not the easiest language to use out there, but after dedicating some time to it, it gets easier. I recommend learning JQuery, as it's very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    I teach introductory Python and find it to be a very beginner-friendly language! I'm shit at most others, if we're being honest.
    I really need to dedicate some time to learning python, I've heard its a great language to program in.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Oblivious For This Useful Post:

omg.UFOs (3 Weeks Ago)

Userbars
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Time Online
    15 d 16 h 31 m
    Avg. Time Online
    45 m
    @kittyray can I hit you up for some Python help???

I dabble in CSS and HTML2 for work, so I am working on the side to beef up my CSS especially! There's lots of new things always coming up and the languages themselves are improving to fit into new trends/needs which I think is fascinating! Also means that you're more or less an eternal student...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Koto For This Useful Post:

omg.UFOs (3 Weeks Ago)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 974 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Time Online
    112 d 20 h 26 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 3 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto View Post
    @kittyray can I hit you up for some Python help???

I dabble in CSS and HTML2 for work, so I am working on the side to beef up my CSS especially! There's lots of new things always coming up and the languages themselves are improving to fit into new trends/needs which I think is fascinating! Also means that you're more or less an eternal student...
    For sure! I probably won't be very good at explaining the more complicated stuff, but happy to help how I can!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

omg.UFOs (3 Weeks Ago)

Here
    Userbars
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Time Online
    16 d 22 h 48 m
    Avg. Time Online
    29 m

Userbars
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Time Online
    12 h 5 m
    Avg. Time Online
    19 m
    well, I may be an elitist (I am certainly a bit elitist) and definitely more than a little pedantic, but HTML and CSS are actually format markup protocals, not necessarily programming languages per-se... That said HTML and CSS are great ways to break into learning how to code in general as they're extremely forgiving but still impart that linear nature of problem solving on the programmer.
    I am a c++ programmer at heart, but I am functionally fluent in c(++), php, Java+javascript, php, python, VB, php as well as some experience with LUA, LISP, AHK, ruby, and ASP.
    the only reason I'd personally suggest learning javascript first is because it doesn't require a compiler or IDE at all. You can just open the file in a browser and use the DOM manager to live-debug and live poke if you want to. it's EXTREMELY helpful to have such a strong and intuitive debugger available when you're learning.
    One reason I would suggest not learning JS if you want to write Neopets programs is the ClientSecurityModule(CSM)- a system built into Chrome browser that makes cross-site-requests extremely difficult to perform directly from JS.
    Jquery is super helpful, even for people with tons of experience. If you're writing JS neopets projects, you're probably going to want to be able to do HTTP/INET requests, and I can help you with integrating cURL (and a PHP proxy if you're going to be using this in a website and have to get around the CSM).

if you're learning JS, you might want to learn some PHP or ASP aswell so you can do a server backend to go with your JS pages.
    Last edited by valseedian2; 5 Days Ago at 05:13 PM.

Here
    Userbars
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Time Online
    16 d 22 h 48 m
    Avg. Time Online
    29 m
    Quote Originally Posted by valseedian2 View Post
    well, I may be an elitist (I am certainly a bit elitist) and definitely more than a little pedantic, but HTML and CSS are actually format markup protocals, not necessarily programming languages per-se... That said HTML and CSS are great ways to break into learning how to code in general as they're extremely forgiving but still impart that linear nature of problem solving on the programmer.
    I am a c++ programmer at heart, but I am functionally fluent in c(++), php, Java+javascript, php, python, VB, as well as some experience with LUA, LISP, AHK, ruby, and ASP.
    the only reason I'd personally suggest learning javascript first is because it doesn't require a compiler or IDE at all. You can just open the file in a browser and use the DOM manager to live-debug and live poke if you want to. it's EXTREMELY helpful to have such a strong and intuitive debugger available when you're learning.
    One reason I would suggest not learning JS if you want to write Neopets programs is the ClientSecurityModule(CSM)- a system built into Chrome browser that makes cross-site-requests extremely difficult to perform directly from JS.
    Jquery is super helpful, even for people with tons of experience. If you're writing JS neopets projects, you're probably going to want to be able to do HTTP/INET requests, and I can help you with integrating cURL (and a PHP proxy if you're going to be using this in a website and have to get around the CSM).

if you're learning JS, you might want to learn some PHP or ASP aswell so you can do a server backend to go with your JS pages.
    Thanks for the reply and for the information! I agree with your opinion on CSS and HTML, I kind of skimmed past those.. I used them to get a basic knowledge of how to understand code. I'll take your suggestion on learning JQuery, PHP and ASP as well. This is going to take some time to learn these but after awhile I would like to try learning C++, would you mind suggesting decent compiler's for learning C++? There's a lot of them out there, its kind of confusing..

Userbars
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Time Online
    12 h 5 m
    Avg. Time Online
    19 m
    I used dev-cpp from bloodshed software for going on 2 decades now... it's very lightweight, very straight forward, but it uses MingW compiler which isn't direcly 1:1 code compatible with the other gold standards, and it's header library is a bit outdated.
    Obviously, microsoft visual studio is the easy best choice if you're willing to dive in head-long, but it's got too many options and can be a little daunting even for those with some experience (yo- took me nearly 2 weeks to get past the learning curve of changing my old code over from mingw to MSVC++). I may be better to never learn mingw rather than unlearn the 'bad habits' it teaches you(mingw is -imho- a lot more forgiving than msvc). it is totally worth learning how to use visual studio though- visual studio covers practically anything you want to develop in lots of languages, and all those extra options can be heavily leveraged once you've spent the time to understand them.
    if I asked you to define these words:
    variables
    functions
    math operations
    loops
    strings
    classes

if you know what these words mean in programming, you're more than ready to start learning c++.
    if you don't know what these words mean. Visual Basic is a great beginner language.. learn those words first before going to something more abstract.
    Last edited by valseedian2; 5 Days Ago at 05:18 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Time Online
    1 d 3 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I know a variety of languages. I am fluent in Java, and Python. I have a basic understanding of C and how Assembly works. Lately I've been delving into web development. HTML isn't too bad. But CSS is just a nightmare at times. JavaScript is a fair bit strange. Currently, I am looking for a job as a software engineer.