Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What old movie/show have you only just watched?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    2d 19h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

What old movie/show have you only just watched?

Im all for new stuff sure... BUT

What old stuff have you recently watched and would you recommend it?

Personally i just watched the tremors movies, so cheesy and kinda funny, but i really loved them.

I just got done binge watching the buffy/angel box sets too, i was never into them when they were on tv first time around, but i can see the appeal now, a fun set of shows.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    4d 11h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Office Space (1999) - I watched this recently now and its totally funny and relatable if you're working in IT. If I had watched this movie when it came out Im pretty sure all the references would of just flown above my head.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    The Princess Bride last weekend. I get that it's a cult classic, but I was still 'eh' in the end. Really was not as wowed as I'd anticipated, given how beloved it is.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    2d 20h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    We haven't done it yet, but my boyfriend is planning on making me watch Rocky Horror Picture Show pretty soon. When I was younger I wasn't allowed to watch it because of strict parents lmao
    Other than that I've been watching Glee with him. I never gave it a chance when it was airing but I find it super fun.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 19h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 13m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
    The Princess Bride last weekend. I get that it's a cult classic, but I was still 'eh' in the end. Really was not as wowed as I'd anticipated, given how beloved it is.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I also gave it a solid "Eh." Cary Elwes is fantastic but the rest was just "Eh"-worthy.

Another one people rave about that I don't get the fangasms for is Labyrinth. Yes, David Bowie is amazing, but... I dunno I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea. Perhaps I'll try a re-watch, it's been quite a few years.

Willow, with Warwick Davis, or Legend, with a very young Tom Cruise, are better films in the 80's fantasy genre in my opinion.

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,160 times
    Time Online
    555d 6h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettySarcastic View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I also gave it a solid "Eh." Cary Elwes is fantastic but the rest was just "Eh"-worthy.

Another one people rave about that I don't get the fangasms for is Labyrinth. Yes, David Bowie is amazing, but... I dunno I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea. Perhaps I'll try a re-watch, it's been quite a few years.

Willow, with Warwick Davis, or Legend, with a very young Tom Cruise, are better films in the 80's fantasy genre in my opinion.
    I think Labyrinth is one of those movies that if you adored it as a kid it'll stick with you, and then liking it as an adult is pretty hit or miss, which I need to remember, I think. I sometimes I forget that it's a [em]cult[/em] classic and not actually something everybody knows or will love. I remember really enjoying Willow, too, but it didn't stick with me the same way.

To answer OP's question, there hasn't been much lately, but I have a long list of old HBO shows I wanna catch up on (The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire), but I haven't felt like I could handle intense things lately. The oldest thing I've watched for the first time was Broad City which is only about a year out from the finale.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 19h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 13m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    I think Labyrinth is one of those movies that if you adored it as a kid it'll stick with you, and then liking it as an adult is pretty hit or miss, which I need to remember, I think. I sometimes I forget that it's a [em]cult[/em] classic and not actually something everybody knows or will love. I remember really enjoying Willow, too, but it didn't stick with me the same way.

To answer OP's question, there hasn't been much lately, but I have a long list of old HBO shows I wanna catch up on (The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire), but I haven't felt like I could handle intense things lately. The oldest thing I've watched for the first time was Broad City which is only about a year out from the finale.

Oh yeah!

My aunt was SOOOOO into The Sopranos when it was current. I never got into it. Right now I think it's just too dark and intense to go and try out for the first time, I totally agree with you.

I recently binge-watched 100% of Gilmore Girls, though, and that was mostly delightful.

I was a little annoyed with the yo-yo'ing will-they-won't-they for Luke and Lorelei, especially in the later seasons when there was no adult reason to be that way, but for the most part I enjoyed it a lot.

Prison Break is one I'd like to watch, because I enjoy Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell's dynamic on Legends of Tomorrow in past seasons, and I know they originally worked together on that show.

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    306 times
    Time Online
    134d 4h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 11m
    I had an oldschool movie night last weekend, and watched Runaway Bride for the first time.
    Why the hell haven't I watched more of these classic movies?!

What a simpler time the 90s must have been.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,160 times
    Time Online
    555d 6h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettySarcastic View Post
    Oh yeah!

My aunt was SOOOOO into The Sopranos when it was current. I never got into it. Right now I think it's just too dark and intense to go and try out for the first time, I totally agree with you.

I recently binge-watched 100% of Gilmore Girls, though, and that was mostly delightful.

I was a little annoyed with the yo-yo'ing will-they-won't-they for Luke and Lorelei, especially in the later seasons when there was no adult reason to be that way, but for the most part I enjoyed it a lot.

Prison Break is one I'd like to watch, because I enjoy Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell's dynamic on Legends of Tomorrow in past seasons, and I know they originally worked together on that show.

My family was really into the Sopranos back in the day, too, but I was a little too young for them to let me watch it, even though they were generally pretty lenient about those things.

I forgot about Prison Break! I've heard a lot of good things about it.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    lmao who cares
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    23d 11h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
    I strongly feel that Princess Bride is one of those movies you had to have seen when you were a kid. When people watch it for the first time as an adult they usually seem either confused or just an overall 'meh' feeling. It's like I didn't grow up watching the Star Wars movies and only recently watched them. So for me they were pretty 'meh'. But I feel like it's because I missed the magic that would've captivated me as a child.

^^ Thanks to Menine for the icon & Gremlin for this userbar!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crow For This Useful Post:

kittyray (09-04-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (09-04-2020)