Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    7d 12h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

Megiddo's Ice Monotype Generations Nuzlocke

Hi guys,

I’m going to be attempting to complete a game from every generation, right up to Sun and Moon in Nuzlocke form only using Ice types.

What is a Nuzlocke?

What is a generations Nuzlocke?

Why Ice type?

My rules

I will be using this thread as a bit of a journal with updates as I journey through. Let me know what you think about my rules and if I should make any adjustments.

Part 1 - Fire Red

Run update 2!

Update 3 Cerulean gym. We get a new member!

Update 4: Cerulean City - S.S Anne & Vermillion City

Update 5: Vermilion City to Pokemon Tower

Update 6: Lavender Town to Fuchsia City Gym

Update 7: Fuchsia City - Silph Co

Update 8: Saffron Gym

Update 9: Cinnabar and Beyond

Update 10: The Elite 4

We’re ready to face the Eite 4. Steve, Quade and Charlotte are all at level 60. I’m stocked up on items in case I need them and I’ve deposited Farfetch’d and Nidorino.

It’s down to ice types and strategy now.

We load up our save, we’re already healed up and ready to go in to face Lorelai.

We start our first match against Lorelai and first up is Dewgong. I lead with Steve, my own Dewgong and start my strategy. My plan here is to use Rain Dance and then swap to Quade to take everything down with Thunder. Steve uses Rain Dance and the Lorelai uses Surf, doing very little damage.

We swap Steve for Quade and Lorelai uses Hail. Which is nothing to worry about as all our 3 Pokémon are immune to the damage but that gets rid of our rain boosted thunder plan. A quick think and we come up with another plan. Instead of Rain boosted Thunder, we decide to go with the sole X Accuracy in our pack to boost the accuracy of Thunder. We use an X Accuracy and Dewgong uses Safeguard. Next turn we bump our special attack up with an X Special and we should be plenty strong enough to take everything down already with 100 accuracy Thunder.

Quade uses Thunder, Dewgong goes down. Out comes Cloyster, Quade takes it down with Thunder. Slowbro comes out, Quade destroys it with a single Thunder as well. Jynx comes out. Thanks for rubbing that in my face Lorelai. RIP Hynx Quade goes for Surf, but it doesn’t quite kill as Jynx uses ice punch. Ice punch does so little damage that Quade heals to full with Leftovers at the end of the turn and then KO’s Jynx with Surf the very next turn. Out comes Lapras, Lorelai’s last Pokemon and Quade uses Thunder again. Surprisingly, Lapras survives with about 5HP and uses Confuse Ray to confuse Quade.

Considering Quade is at 100% I decide to try and just attack through confusion and use Perish Song because I know Lorelai is going to use a potion, which she does.

So now we’ve got 3 turns before we win this fight by default. We decide to switch to Charlotte and eat up turns with Protect. Which turns out to be a masterful switch as Lapras uses Body Slam to do a total of 18 damage, but paralyses Charlotte. We go for the protect, which gets through paralysis (we almost accidentally used Explosion which would have been a disaster) and we protect ourselves against Confuse Ray. Last turn before Lapras faints and we switch to Steve just because I don’t want to be surprised by a random Electric attack to KO Charlotte. Lapras uses Surf, Steve resists it and Lapras goes down from Perish Song. 1st E4 Member down.

Next up is Bruno. We heal the paralysis from Charlotte and lead with her for this fight due to her massive Defense and start the fight. Thankfully, Bruno leads with Onix which gives us some breathing room before the fighting types come out. We’re going to use Onix as fodder for boosting Charlotte for a sweep. We start with a few X Speeds but Bruno counters with Rock Tomb, which is Super Effective and also lowers Charlotte’s speed, bringing it back to normal. We try a couple more times to get a speed boost but Onix sticks with Rock Tomb, dropping our speed but only doing 19Hp damage. Now is a good chance to note how important Charlotte’s ability is to block crits.

We swap from X Speed to X Defend now to further boost Charlotte’s Defense. I think she’s going to need the Defense boosts to survive Hitmonlee and Machamp. We get a couple of X Defend away when Onix swaps to Earthquake which is great because it won’t drop our Speed. We use another X Speed and Onix uses EQ again, no speed drop, sweet. We use another X Speed and Onix uses Rock Tomb. But it misses! +2 speed now, awesome. We start using X Special and get ready to sweep. But Onix has other plans.

Onix uses Roar. And out comes Steve. All those X Boosts are now pointless. I decide just to take Onix out and remove the threat of Roar. Steve uses Surf and OHKO’s it.

Hitmonchan comes out and I contemplate whether I should risk taking it out with Steve or if I should just switch to Charlotte. I end up deciding to switch to Charlotte and Hitmonchan uses Sky Uppercut. I send Charlotte in but she’s only got 78hp. Fingers crossed the Sky Uppercut doesn’t do too much.

Sky uppercut lands and it does 64hp of damage. Leaving Charlotte with a whopping 14hp. That did a lot more than I’d hoped. We heal up and Hitmonchan uses Mach Punch which would have killed Charlotte if we’d tried to take it out. We pump an X Special on Charlotte, there’s no chance of Hitmonchan one shotting because we’re immune to crits. Hitmonchan uses Rock Tomb to Lower our speed and we go for an X Defend as Hitmonchan uses Sky Uppercut again to chunk us for a good amount. I go to use another potion but decide to use another X Defend instead. We’re immune to crits and X defend will further reduce the damage so there’s still no threat of death here.

Hitmonchan uses Sky Uppercut again and it does 30 damage. We’ve reduced it down to less than half of its original damage of 64. We heal up and Hitmonchan uses sky uppercut twice more as we decide to finally start attacking. 2 sky uppercuts take us down to just under half and 1 surf takes hitmonchan down to red bar. But no one shot. Bruno heals and we use an X Speed to recover from the Rock Tomb drop and then use Surf. Charlotte outspeeds now but still no one shot as Hitmonchan survives with what has to be just 1 or 2 hp. I’m tempted to heal up but decide to just use Surf again as I’m predicting another potion. Bruno doesn’t heal and Charlotte kills Hitmonchan. Bruno sends out Hitmonlee. A very powerful dangerous Pokémon that could easily end our run.

I’m predicting High Jump Kick so we go for a protect, hoping to to get some free damage from the crash but Hitmonlee uses Brick Break instead. Next turn we hyper potion and then hit with Surf, to scope out how bulky Hitmonlee is. Surf does roughly the same as Hitmonchan so 2 Surf will easily KO it. Hitmonlee uses Brick Break twice but only does about 22hp each time and we take it out.

Machamp comes out and we heal just for safety. Machamp starts off with Scary Face, which is good for us. No damage. We go for Ice Beam which does about 75% as Machamp uses Cross Chop. Which does a good chunk of about 40hp damage. Still, not enough to worry us.

Machamp uses Cross Chop again but MISSS! We go for another Ice Beam and Machamp goes down. Bruno’s last Onix comes out, does very little with Earthquake and then dies to a single surf. Bruno’s down.

2 down, 2 to go.

Before we face Agatha, we heal up and swap Quade to lead. We start first turn with an X Special as Gengar uses toxic. Great, more toxic shenanigans. We decide against healing for now and use another X Special and an X speed while Gengar uses double team, twice. I’m over here getting Flashbacks to Koga. I use another X Speed and again, Gengar uses double team to take himself to +3 evasion.

We go for a full restore next turn to get rid of the poison and take us back to full hp. These things are way overpowered against poison users. Again, Gengar uses Double Team, +4 evasion now. I’m not a big fan of taking on Gengar with any more evasion so I start heading for Surf. Miss. Balls.

Gengar uses Confuse Ray and now im definitely getting Koga flashbacks and I’m not enjoying it one bit. We go for Surf trying to get through confusion but it doesn’t work. Quade hurts himself and Gengar uses toxic again. Again, we try to surf through confusion but it fails again, we take damage from confusion and poison AND Gengar uses Double team again.

We use another Full Restore to fill our hp and remove poison and confusion, Gengar finishes his evasion stacking and uses Double Team to take himself to +6 evasion. Quade is at full hp and no status so I really need to start trying to take this Gengar down. Luckily, the X Speed we used first up gives us enough Speed to go first and Quade uses Surf...

It hits! Gengar dies!

From there, Quade goes on a rampage, One Shotting all the rest of Agatha’s Pokémon before they even get a chance to move. Agatha down!

3 down, 1 to go.

We head up to Lance, don’t even need to heal as Quade still has full hp. We lead with Quade again and use Thunder against Gyarados, which hits first turn and OHKOs Gyarados. Aerodactyl comes out and uses Ancient Power, does some decent damage and gets the full stat boosts. Not good.

Quade uses Ice Beam, which is x4 super effectiveness so even with the ancient power boosts, it still kills Aerodactyl, it did crit so maybe that helped but it was a super powered Ice Beam so probably wouldn’t have mattered. Lance then sends out Dragonair, it gets one shot from ice beam, 2nd Dragonair, same thing and finally, Dragonite comes out. Which always gave me grief back in the day. But this time, Quade takes it down with a single Ice Beam and we’ve beaten Lance.

We’ve beaten the Elite 4! We’ve just got AssHat to go. Note: there’s also a little Easter egg in the AssHat fight coming up. Shoutout if you find it!

Before we start the fight with AssHat we heal up and swap Charlotte to lead. We started our game with a Shellder, we’re going to finish it with a Cloyster.

Pidgeot comes out first and Charlotte OHKOs with a first turn Ice Beam. Pidgeot must have been going to use Whirlwind with negative priority. AssHat sends out Rhydon, Charlotte KOs it with a single Surf. Exeggutor is next, but also dies to a single Ice Beam. The EV training at Pokémon Tower really coming into play now.

Alakazam is next and we use Protect with Charlotte to scout out what he’s going to do. Charlotte Protects against Psychic. I have no intention of losing Charlotte now so we swap to Quade as Alakazam uses Reflect. Alakazam uses Psychic to do a good chunk of damage and Quade uses Ice Beam and lands a freeze!

The freeze actually does nothing though as Alakazam defrosts the very next turn and uses Psychic again. Leaving Quade at 100hp, enough to take out Alakazam with another Ice Beam.

AssHat sends out Gyarados but Quade knows exactly what to do and takes it down with a perfectly executed Thunder after we do a quick heal.

AssHat sends out his last Pokemon. Charizard. The bastard the killed Rex. And it’s time for my revenge to come full circle.

We swap Quade out and send out Steve as Charizard goes for Fire Blast which does a whole 43 damage, reduced to 32 after Steve recovers with Leftovers.

Steve uses Rain Dance to further reduce the power of Fire Blast and boost his water damage after Charizard goes for another fire blast.

We’re sitting with Steve at 127/191hp, rain is up and Charizard is at full health. It’s time.

Charizard decides Fire Blast isn’t cutting it and goes for Aerial Ace which leaves Steve at 88. Steve uses Surf and does about 80% damage to Charizard. Steve recovers with leftovers and Charizard recovers with a Sitrus Berry.

Charizard uses Aerial Ace again, taking Steve down to 60hp. And Steve uses Surf...

And Charizard dies.

We are victorious!

AssHat has lost his mantle as Pokémon League Champion and we steal it from him using just 3 ice type Pokémon!

And with that the first leg of our generations run is complete! We can now move to generation 2 where we get access to another couple of ice type Pokémon!

Let’s do a quick recap of our first leg.

Deaths: 2 - Hynx and Rex. Hynx to a crit Self Destruct against Koga and Rex to a Flamethrower from AssHat’s Charizard in the Silph co.

Pokémon used: Rex - Cloyster, Hynx - Jynx, Quade - Lapras, Steve - Dewgong and Charlotte - Cloyster.

Easiest gyms: Celadon, Cinnabar and Viridian were the easiest by far.

Hardest Gyms: Cerulean Misty and Fuchsia Koga. Saffron Sabrina would have been more difficult if I didn’t use X Boosts and Vermilion Surge would have been impossible if i didn’t have Hynx.

Saddest death: Hynx to the crit.

Biggest heart attack: the Raticate before Vermilion.

Happiest moment: Rex finally beating Misty.

MVP: Very hard to pick just one. Charlotte was MVP against Bruno, Quade against Lorelai and Lance and Steve made Charizard a walk in the park. If we can only pick one, it’s got to be Quade, Thunder and Perish Song just brought so much to the table. Landing consecutive Thunders against Lance and AssHat’s Gyarados’ were clutch.

Quade definitely deserves the MVP, taking our team from the brink of defeat after losing 2 members in quick succession.

Next up, Heart Gold and Generation 2. We get to start with Quade, Steve and Charlotte!

I hope you all enjoyed the first leg! I’m planning on doing more and will continue to update this thread for as long as I can!

Last edited by Megiddo; 06-02-2021 at 05:28 PM.

I�ve been around...
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

• The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Megiddo For This Useful Post:

bootiesrus (08-20-2020),Brickhaus (09-16-2020),Buizel (06-01-2021),Clefairy (06-12-2022),Erik. (08-27-2020),Extraterrestrial (08-30-2020),j03 (08-27-2020),Koto (09-03-2020),Lucid Acid Dream (08-23-2020),Mario2302 (06-03-2021),My name is Yoshikage Kira (08-24-2020),Saturnine (09-20-2020),Spiffy (09-03-2020),Synth Salazzle (08-23-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    7d 12h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

Megiddo’s Ice Monotype Generations Nuzlocke

WOO!!! Generation 2! We’re playing Heart Gold for our 2nd Generation. Starting with Lapras (Quade), Shellder (Charlotte) and Seel (Steve) as they all made it through the Elite 4 in Generation 1. Our goal here is Johto Champion and also, beating Red.

Let’s go!

Generation 2: New Beginnings

Leg 2: Azalea and the Mad Cow

Leg 3: A man and his shell

Leg 4: A man, an Ape and a Frog walk into a bar...

Leg 5: Where’d I leave my Specs this time?

Leg 6: Lance Vance and his last Dance

One thing I forgot to add earlier was that while we were doing our training and searching for items before fighting Claire, we went into the Dark Cave just below Blackthorn. Just fumbling around looking for items and whatnot, taking down Zubats, Geodudes and Gravelers for xp. Found a bit of water so we decide to surf around it to see if any items are on the other side. Our Repel runs out, I forget to add another one so we get a random encounter.

This guy… lol

Other than that, we made our way all the way to the Pokémon League, through Victory Road. Finished all our training while watching The Falcon and The Winter Soldier and we’re ready to go. Everybody is level 48. I went with level 48 because that’s the highest level of Karen’s Ace, Houndoom. And while she’s not the last member, i felt level 50 on everybody (Lance’s 3rd Dragonite level) it would have been too high as some members would have been over 50 by the time I got to Lance.

Anyway, the team is pretty solid.

Frank - Mamoswine
    Queen - Lapras
    Katie - Jynx
    Steve II - Dewgong
    Leon - Cloyster

Steve is the only surviving member from our previous game now, he’s about to have a crack at his 2nd Elite 4. Some may argue against having Mamoswing as officially he didn’t exist in Generation 2, my answer to that is, fuck it, Mamoswine is cool. Same reason I’ll be using Weaville over Sneasel later on. Assuming I make it that far.

I’m expecting the Elite 4 here to be a mixed bag of results. I’m not at all scared of Will or
    Koga. Bruno and Karen are the scary ones. Any of Bruno’s fighting types will be able to one shot any of my Pokémon if I’m not careful. I got insanely lucky with my Jynx capture. Katie has Hidden Power - Flying which will hopefully get me through Bruno. Side note: the guy/girl who designed Jynx’s learned moves in this generation needs to be shot. Jynx doesn’t learn a single psychic type moves from level ups. No psychic, nothing. Heck I’d even settle for a Psybeam but no. Jynx does not learn a single Psychic type move. Theoretically you could breed Jynx to get Smoochum, who learns Psychic at level 35, evolve to Jynx and then Jynx has Psychic but shit, just give Jynx Psychic.

Rant over. On to the Elite 4.

Video -

Leg 7: Roses are Red

Last edited by Megiddo; 06-13-2022 at 02:33 AM.

I�ve been around...

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Megiddo For This Useful Post:

Brickhaus (09-25-2020),Erik. (09-24-2020),j03 (06-12-2022),Mario2302 (06-03-2021),My name is Yoshikage Kira (08-24-2020),Synth Salazzle (08-23-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    7d 12h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Run update 2 now in! Pewter City - Cerulean City!

I�ve been around...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Megiddo For This Useful Post:

Erik. (08-27-2020),Synth Salazzle (08-26-2020)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    93d 20h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    Oh this is fun to read!!! Go Rex! Is he still the only Pok�mon you have or did I misunderstand?

Ummie and Vape made by the awesome GWN

my own special userbar made by Lyrichord
    and the awesomest ryus made by GWN, Infected & Lyrichord

• The Following User Says Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

Megiddo (09-08-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    7d 12h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

Megiddo�s Ice Monotype Generations Nuzlocke

Quote Originally Posted by Erik. View Post
    Oh this is fun to read!!! Go Rex! Is he still the only Pok�mon you have or did I misunderstand?
    So far he�s my only one! I�ll be doing the write up on my fight against Misty shortly and I�ll explain some stuff on acquiring my next Team member!

Edit: update 3 is live!
    Last edited by Megiddo; 08-27-2020 at 08:41 PM.

I�ve been around...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Megiddo For This Useful Post:

Erik. (08-28-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    69 times
    Time Online
    42d 7h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Ahh I love reading Nuzlockes! Ice is a great choice. Go Rex go!!

Pronouns
    They/Them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    94/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    36d 15h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Closter has a 13.67% chance of a Critical hit. Little know fact if one of the up to five of Icicle Spear critic all other hits after will crit too. Meaning 1/5 times it will crit out of the 30 PP

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lucid Acid Dream For This Useful Post:

Erik. (09-03-2020),Megiddo (09-04-2020),Synth Salazzle (09-03-2020)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Oh man I can't wait until update 4. I'm loving this run, ice types need more love!

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    (you need an account to see links)
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Synth Salazzle For This Useful Post:

Erik. (09-03-2020),Megiddo (09-04-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (09-03-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    7d 12h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Update 4 is live!

I�ve been around...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Megiddo For This Useful Post:

Erik. (09-04-2020),Lucid Acid Dream (09-03-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (09-03-2020)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Ahhh glad that Hynx made it through the Raticate situation!

Loving reading this, can't wait for the next part

Thank you to carrottea for the lovely userbar

• The Following User Says Thank You to My name is Yoshikage Kira For This Useful Post:

Megiddo (09-04-2020)

• Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast