Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you picked up a new skill or hobby recently?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    I�ve been doing a lot of cooking lately. Settled into the house and this working from home leaves me lots of time to look up recipes and give things a try that I hadn�t been able to before. I�ve surprised myself a bit with how good things are, even when winging it a bit.

Im still meaning to get back into running, but I really want to either get a bike or a rowing machine to mix that up a bit.

Another thing I have gotten into is day trading stocks. I joined a group that discusses picks and gives lots of advice every single day. It�s been interesting picking up the terminology and learning from their experience. I was up a pretty decent bit but I got greedy and stayed too long, now I�m in the red lol. So, lessons learned, but it�s a lot of fun for anybody who has some extra cash and wants to work on slowly growing it. I�d recommend it if you work at home and have time on your hands to keep an eye on the charts and such.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

2. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-15-2020)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I Just moved from my parents home to Live in a new City with my bf, and saw myself in that situation in our first month.
    I Just learned how to keep a house, some cooking, most desserts, how is hard to know what to buy for the month and in the last week got a job as PHP programmer, so, i'm learning PHP now.

Enviado de meu Redmi Note 5 usando o Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to krummris For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-15-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by krummris View Post
    I Just moved from my parents home to Live in a new City with my bf, and saw myself in that situation in our first month.
    I Just learned how to keep a house, some cooking, most desserts, how is hard to know what to buy for the month and in the last week got a job as PHP programmer, so, i'm learning PHP now.

I agree! Shopping lists seem so easy, but I find them to be difficult. I have some go to meals, but when I switch it up it gets confusing. I might see a recipe and have 8/10 ingredients but what I don’t have is obscure and not used much. I’ve started keeping a list of things I have in the house (spices and other perishable ingredients) that way I know whether I can feasibly make something or if I need to run out to the store and plan a bit more.

congrats on the new job!

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    I agree! Shopping lists seem so easy, but I find them to be difficult. I have some go to meals, but when I switch it up it gets confusing. I might see a recipe and have 8/10 ingredients but what I don�t have is obscure and not used much. I�ve started keeping a list of things I have in the house (spices and other perishable ingredients) that way I know whether I can feasibly make something or if I need to run out to the store and plan a bit more.

congrats on the new job!
    And learning to know cheap recipes so you can eat all month is new to me, but it's needed if i still want to keep money for games LOL

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I already knew how to cook, but I've been expanding to make more types of meals. Everything I made before had some kind of pasta or noodle in it so I couldn't bring down my carb intake.

but now that I've learned to properly sautee vegetables, I've been having a better time lately. Learning new food skills is always a really good one to do.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    (you need an account to see links)
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Synth Salazzle For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-15-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahsoka View Post
    I already knew how to cook, but I've been expanding to make more types of meals. Everything I made before had some kind of pasta or noodle in it so I couldn't bring down my carb intake.

but now that I've learned to properly sautee vegetables, I've been having a better time lately. Learning new food skills is always a really good one to do.
    I've been doing a low carb thing too. I did it a year ago and felt great but fell way off track once life got busy. I've been back on it all week. Just need another week or two in order to make it a habit and get back in full swing.

Got a bunch of interesting recipes that I've been wanting to try and a bunch of substitute ingredients that I'm excited to work with.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Synth Salazzle (08-14-2020)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I've been doing a low carb thing too. I did it a year ago and felt great but fell way off track once life got busy. I've been back on it all week. Just need another week or two in order to make it a habit and get back in full swing.

Got a bunch of interesting recipes that I've been wanting to try and a bunch of substitute ingredients that I'm excited to work with.
    I make a lot of mistakes in going low carb. But I'm losing weight like absolute crazy since cutting down so much. Even when I have slip ups. I recommend it even as a temporary thing for anyone struggling with that.

Hit me up with those recipes I'm always looking for more low carb options. (High protein is ideal.) I've been substituting cauliflower in a lot of my carb places. And I'm planning on trying making a pizza crust out of it soon. Have a nice garlic base/sauce, heavy on artichoke and spinach in the mix, pack the toppings with ingredients from the butcher instead of processed meats. I'm looking really forward to doing this one tbh.

My contributions:
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahsoka View Post
    I make a lot of mistakes in going low carb. But I'm losing weight like absolute crazy since cutting down so much. Even when I have slip ups. I recommend it even as a temporary thing for anyone struggling with that.

Hit me up with those recipes I'm always looking for more low carb options. (High protein is ideal.) I've been substituting cauliflower in a lot of my carb places. And I'm planning on trying making a pizza crust out of it soon. Have a nice garlic base/sauce, heavy on artichoke and spinach in the mix, pack the toppings with ingredients from the butcher instead of processed meats. I'm looking really forward to doing this one tbh.
    I use cauliflower a lot as a substitute as well. Lots of cooking on the grill - steak, burgers, brats, chicken, shrimp, peppers, fish.
    Yesterday I cooked up some ground beef, some garlic and herb cauliflower rice, chopped bell peppers, mozz/cheddar cheese and cooked it all together as a cassarole kinda thing. So good!
    Stuffed pepper taco things are good. Cauliflower mac n cheese is another staple.
    Chuck roast, spinach salad with a dressing of ranch and finely chopped almonds.

So many great options. Of course the staple is eggs and bacon in the morning haha

I just need to combine it with running again for maximum effect. One thing at a time though. I got up to running like 7miles comfortably at a decent pace but I don't think I could get anywhere near that anymore lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Synth Salazzle (08-14-2020)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I use cauliflower a lot as a substitute as well. Lots of cooking on the grill - steak, burgers, brats, chicken, shrimp, peppers, fish.
    Yesterday I cooked up some ground beef, some garlic and herb cauliflower rice, chopped bell peppers, mozz/cheddar cheese and cooked it all together as a cassarole kinda thing. So good!
    Stuffed pepper taco things are good. Cauliflower mac n cheese is another staple.
    Chuck roast, spinach salad with a dressing of ranch and finely chopped almonds.

So many great options. Of course the staple is eggs and bacon in the morning haha

I just need to combine it with running again for maximum effect. One thing at a time though. I got up to running like 7miles comfortably at a decent pace but I don't think I could get anywhere near that anymore lol
    I'm gonna have to try that casserole tbh.

I have limited mobility problems so diet is where I have to stay most focused because I will just binge eat if I don't check myself.

That's a pretty impressive running distance, holy shit.

My contributions:
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg