Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you picked up a new skill or hobby recently?

Pronouns
    lmao who cares
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    23d 11h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
    Whoa, I've heard of scrimshawing! I've always thought it was neat, especially some of the ones with those really fine, tiny details. I feel like it'd be a difficult hobby to find supplies for? When you need another bone to work on, where would you even acquire that?

I started doing my own nails, then eventually started making press-on nails that I sell online. Didn't want to get an outside job during the pandemic, so I'm try to make things work from my house lol. It's weird since up until this year I literally never had nail extensions and have only painted my nails a handful of times.

As terrible as the world situation is, it is kind of nice to have a reprieve and develop new skills.
    Putting this in spoilers because it might be disturbing to some:

But nails! That's awesome! I'm really quite terrible at doing my own nails and rarely do it. My godmother was a nail artist for most of her life; can't do it now though because she has rheumatoid arthritis in her wrists and hands which is a real shame. So love it and enjoy it while your body can!! Do you have an Etsy shop? I'd love to see your work!

^^ Thanks to Menine for the icon & Gremlin for this userbar!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crow For This Useful Post:

Maelstra (11-19-2020),Oneiros (08-10-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    70 times
    Time Online
    31d 5h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links) that's so cool!

I'd totally go and maybe get an editor/published during this period - if that's the final goal. I've been a freelance writer on the side in college and during this pandemic, gotten a lot of publishers/websites/editors reaching out to me to sign a contract to write new novels/series for them (I also do fantasy).

I think there is a rush of more people reading due to having to stay home.

And the stories sound totally up my alley.

With the defenders challenge I'm definitely overwhelmed by the people on clraik, everyone just really has a talented set of skills and it's awesome to see ♡

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valia For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-11-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (08-11-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 times
    Time Online
    19d 10h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Putting this in spoilers because it might be disturbing to some:

But nails! That's awesome! I'm really quite terrible at doing my own nails and rarely do it. My godmother was a nail artist for most of her life; can't do it now though because she has rheumatoid arthritis in her wrists and hands which is a real shame. So love it and enjoy it while your body can!! Do you have an Etsy shop? I'd love to see your work!

Aw, that's too bad. ): Arthritis definitely concerns me, since I paint as well and I can't imagine not being able to. I do have an Etsy shop that I opened last month! It's picking up within the past week, so I'm hoping I can at least make part time money lol. Going out to work right now freaks me out a little. I'll PM you some photos~

hello i am frank i'm a cat now sike blub blub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Oneiros For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-11-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    1d 18h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I'm always working on a bunch of things, I don't have a job and probably won't be getting another unless its working for myself due to health reasons so I've had more time since I got too sick to keep my last job. Right now I try to draw, do yoga, practice ukulele, and study up on French, Japanese, and Scottish Gaelic, every day. I also picked up some other crafts recently like crocheting, embroidery, resincraft, sculpting but I can't do those as regularly. I wish I could bake as much as I used to but right now I'm mainly using supplies I happen to have built up over time and I just have no baking bits-and-bobs in and can't afford to buy more. I like to keep my brain stimulated and distracted. I also just started bullet journaling to keep track of it all. I also do solo-rpg runs, right now I'm learning Basic Fantasy RPG because I heard it was a good starting place, I just got sick of waiting around for friends to play with that I just doubt I'll ever really have.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BoopnDoot For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-11-2020)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    333 times
    Time Online
    162d 3h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 48m
    I had never heard of bone carvings until today.

Thats pretty cool!!

Ive always baked but just recently we started getting into doing cakes. I've made a few and posted them here. If I get time ill post some more.

Geo
    Hatched 11/14/2020

Huge thanks to (you need an account to see links)
    For the Customized Adoptable of Geo.

My gorgeous avatar was created by thee incredible
    ♡ Lyrichord ♡

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pidgey For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-11-2020)

Pronouns
    lmao who cares
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    23d 11h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by RAingael View Post
    I'm always working on a bunch of things, I don't have a job and probably won't be getting another unless its working for myself due to health reasons so I've had more time since I got too sick to keep my last job. Right now I try to draw, do yoga, practice ukulele, and study up on French, Japanese, and Scottish Gaelic, every day. I also picked up some other crafts recently like crocheting, embroidery, resincraft, sculpting but I can't do those as regularly. I wish I could bake as much as I used to but right now I'm mainly using supplies I happen to have built up over time and I just have no baking bits-and-bobs in and can't afford to buy more. I like to keep my brain stimulated and distracted. I also just started bullet journaling to keep track of it all. I also do solo-rpg runs, right now I'm learning Basic Fantasy RPG because I heard it was a good starting place, I just got sick of waiting around for friends to play with that I just doubt I'll ever really have.
    Yoooo Scottish Gaelic! I really want to learn that. I just finished all of Outlander (the show, haven't read the books yet though I intend to). And that really burned a passion of interest into Scottish history. Especially because I know on my dad's side I have British (both English and Scottish) lineage, and I was told on my mom's side there's some Irish. I really want to take a DNA test (like 23&Me) to get the details on this, but my dad's family has actually kept detailed track of our history which is super cool. So watching Outlander made me even more curious as to what my lineage entails. I would love to learn Gaelic and visit the UK to see places my ancestors have been.

What made you interested in it? And in the other languages?

Also~ resincraft! I think I'd like to learn that too!!

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Columbidae View Post
    I had never heard of bone carvings until today.

Thats pretty cool!!

Ive always baked but just recently we started getting into doing cakes. I've made a few and posted them here. If I get time ill post some more.
    Cakes?! I can't even imagine lol I'm so terrible at baking! I don't cook very often so baking just seems so intimidating to me. I have no instincts on the matter. I tried baking cookies for my last boyfriend and they came out so bad lmao. I can't imagine baking a whole cake! Do you do the frosting and such too?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    1d 18h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Yoooo Scottish Gaelic! I really want to learn that. I just finished all of Outlander (the show, haven't read the books yet though I intend to). And that really burned a passion of interest into Scottish history. Especially because I know on my dad's side I have British (both English and Scottish) lineage, and I was told on my mom's side there's some Irish. I really want to take a DNA test (like 23&Me) to get the details on this, but my dad's family has actually kept detailed track of our history which is super cool. So watching Outlander made me even more curious as to what my lineage entails. I would love to learn Gaelic and visit the UK to see places my ancestors have been.

What made you interested in it? And in the other languages?

Also~ resincraft! I think I'd like to learn that too!!
    I'm actually Scottish myself and living in Scotland. I grew up overseas where I really didn't belong and was constantly reminded of that fact so I'm appreciative of being here. If I can ever manage it I'd like to live on the Isle of Skye, or maybe up in the highlands and there are still people there who speak Gaelic in both of those places. With any luck it'll turn out to be a practical language for me, at the very least I'll be going on holiday one day!I found a really good channel on YouTube too since Gaelic is probably one of the most tricky of the languages for phonology (definitely compared to the other languages I'm learning right now) when you're just starting since they have a lot of double consonants making sounds that it just doesn't really look like the should. My parents watched Outlander recently, and someone I used to know also really loved it, although I've not watched it myself. My lineage is nowhere near as mixed, but I've always wanted to do 23&me for the medical info.

As far as other languages, I've just always loved other languages, I was introduced to French when I was about 5 and I think it was in a show and I asked my dad (who used to like languages when he was in school) about it so he used to teach me a few words here and there and when I got older I just kept the interest up. I liked a lot of aspects of Japanese culture and I've always really wanted to go there though I've never had the money so I took French and Japanese in high school until they could no longer offer them due to lack of interest from other students, then I came back to it once I got out of school. When I was younger I thought I'd be traveling the world but that is yet to happen because we live in a capitalist hellscape. I have a whole list of languages that I want to move onto next, including Dutch, Norwegian, Mandarin, and Korean, that'll take some time though of course. The good thing with a lot of languages is that they can act like keys to other languages like Dutch helps with German, and Norwegian is essentially a 3-fer with the other Scandinavian languages, and Japanese Kanji was based in Chinese Taito, and once you've got practice learning how to write in other languages it comes easier. Sorry for rambling, I'm just very passionate about languages.

I'm pretty new to resincraft, I've poured a few things but I could do with a pressure pot to get the bubbles out since it seems no matter what I wind up with tiny bubbles and voids if I'm not working with UV resin or a larger mold. I actually made my own molds from some dice I have, I'm getting closer to getting some useable dice from them, unfortunately because I'm terrible at knowing how much of something there will be I didn't buy enough silicone to actually cast the full set of dice. It has been very fun though. If you have flat surfaces to work on I'd totally recommend it!
    Last edited by BoopnDoot; 08-12-2020 at 06:42 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BoopnDoot For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-13-2020)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    5d 15h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Iv'e started writing alot more recently ! I picked up a journal a little while ago and have been trying to keep it updated every single day c:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to potatopie For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-13-2020)

Pronouns
    lmao who cares
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    23d 11h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by RAingael View Post
    I'm actually Scottish myself and living in Scotland. I grew up overseas where I really didn't belong and was constantly reminded of that fact so I'm appreciative of being here. If I can ever manage it I'd like to live on the Isle of Skye, or maybe up in the highlands and there are still people there who speak Gaelic in both of those places. With any luck it'll turn out to be a practical language for me, at the very least I'll be going on holiday one day!I found a really good channel on YouTube too since Gaelic is probably one of the most tricky of the languages for phonology (definitely compared to the other languages I'm learning right now) when you're just starting since they have a lot of double consonants making sounds that it just doesn't really look like the should. My parents watched Outlander recently, and someone I used to know also really loved it, although I've not watched it myself. My lineage is nowhere near as mixed, but I've always wanted to do 23&me for the medical info.

As far as other languages, I've just always loved other languages, I was introduced to French when I was about 5 and I think it was in a show and I asked my dad (who used to like languages when he was in school) about it so he used to teach me a few words here and there and when I got older I just kept the interest up. I liked a lot of aspects of Japanese culture and I've always really wanted to go there though I've never had the money so I took French and Japanese in high school until they could no longer offer them due to lack of interest from other students, then I came back to it once I got out of school. When I was younger I thought I'd be traveling the world but that is yet to happen because we live in a capitalist hellscape. I have a whole list of languages that I want to move onto next, including Dutch, Norwegian, Mandarin, and Korean, that'll take some time though of course. The good thing with a lot of languages is that they can act like keys to other languages like Dutch helps with German, and Norwegian is essentially a 3-fer with the other Scandinavian languages, and Japanese Kanji was based in Chinese Taito, and once you've got practice learning how to write in other languages it comes easier. Sorry for rambling, I'm just very passionate about languages.

I'm pretty new to resincraft, I've poured a few things but I could do with a pressure pot to get the bubbles out since it seems no matter what I wind up with tiny bubbles and voids if I'm not working with UV resin or a larger mold. I actually made my own molds from some dice I have, I'm getting closer to getting some useable dice from them, unfortunately because I'm terrible at knowing how much of something there will be I didn't buy enough silicone to actually cast the full set of dice. It has been very fun though. If you have flat surfaces to work on I'd totally recommend it!
    I also grew up around a lot of languages. I spent a lot of time around Spanish-speaking people and took Spanish since I was three years old. I took one year of French in high school but didn't like it. I took some ASL courses and loved them. I started taking Korean the summer before college, then took it all throughout college and even studied abroad to Seoul, South Korea to really practice it. I still speak Korean but not fluently, just like casually conversationally. I've got tons of Spanish still in my noggin somewhere but for some reason when I try to speak it it comes out with Korean sentence structure so basically sounds like gibberish lol. I tried to take Mandarin in college but had to drop it because I was too overwhelmed with other studies at the time. Languages are super fun though! I'd love to learn Vietnamese and Thai but especially the former I expect to be very difficult.

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by potatopie View Post
    Iv'e started writing alot more recently ! I picked up a journal a little while ago and have been trying to keep it updated every single day c:
    Ooh good luck with that! I've never been good at general journals. I could only keep journals on vacations as a way to log what I was doing so I'd remember in the future. And then once I kept a journal to jot down anything good that happened as a practice to pull myself out of depression lol. It kinda worked! But I hope you keep with it and enjoy it too!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    13h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I've started to get into making terrariums! My gf had a few glass containers laying around so we put them to good use. The other weekend we make a moss bowl, which came out amazing! Now I spend 10min a day walking around and misting them all haha

18. The Following User Says Thank You to toucanparty For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-15-2020)