53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m

Making a rock farm

Looking to move your rocks into one area for easy farming or just for aesthetic?
    Here's a easy (yet tedious) guide to moving your rocks where you want them

Rock spawning rules

The tile must be a tile that can have a rock on it. Rocks can spawn on grass and dirt paths. Rocks cannot spawn on custom paths, brick, rock, etc. Rocks also do not spawn on top of weeds, furniture or flowers.

The tile must have a 3x3 grid around it:
    A rock has 8 spaces around it because it takes the center spot of a 3x3 grid. This 3x3 grid is valid if all 8 spaces surrounding the valid center tile are spaces your character can stand in and that are also capable of holding an item. Essentially, as long as your character can stand in all 8 of those spaces and each of those spaces can have an item on it (including flowers or weeds), the grid is valid. These spaces do not have to be empty. Rocks can spawn next to spaces with items, flowers, designs, and hard paths on them because they are all tiles your character can stand in that can also hold items. Examples of tiles your character cannot stand in and that are not capable of holding items are cliffs (you can stand on them but not in them), water tiles, tiles where grass transitions to beach, tiles with furniture or fences, tiles directly in front of bridges, inclines, or entrances, tiles that are occupied by buildings, and tiles with trees or stumps. (credit to u/Tappyy for this explanation)

Only one rock can spawn each day

Blocking the spawns
    This method is much easier if your island already has a lot of furniture placed!

To prepare the mannequin:
    1. Go to your custom designs
    2. Choose a custom design that you made (so it can be edited later)
    3. Select display here then select mannequin

The reason for doing the mannequin is because later on when you edit that design it will automatically remove all mannequins with that design from your island. Makes clean up easy!

Go set up the area you would like for the rocks to go. Here's an example of a couple layouts:

Mannequins in that picture indicate where the rocks would spawn

Dropped items in that picture indicate where the rocks would spawn (side note: rocks will not spawn that close to the water, I just don't have any other free space )

Placement
    Starting at the bottom corner of the island was easiest for me. You'll want to place the mannequins like this:

Repeat for all open space on your island. Making sure to place next to paths and flowers since rocks will spawn right next to them.

Moving the rocks
    To move a rock you must smash it, you can do so by eating a fruit then hitting the rock with a shovel.
    One new rock will spawn each day until all 6 have respawned.

1.Smash all 6, time travel 6 days ahead so all of them have respawned, you can also travel 1 day ahead but I found that to be much more time consuming.

2.Go check your rock farm area, go search your island for any that may be missing. Smash those rocks, place a mannequin where the rock was to block another spawn.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until the rocks are where you'd like them to be!

4. Once rocks are where you'd like them go back to custom designs. Select the design that you used for the mannequins then edit and save. All mannequins will disappear

Post some photos of your completed rock farm or rock farm ideas !

Thank you to carrottea for the lovely userbar

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to My name is Yoshikage Kira For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (07-11-2020),Fabulous (07-11-2020),Flordibel (07-11-2020),j03 (07-11-2020),omg.UFOs (07-11-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (07-11-2020),RealisticError (07-14-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 17h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 13m
    I watched a youtube guide where a guy did this.

This produces a beautiful result, but I swear to god, the effort involved to do it must be soul crushing.

I would probably pay a small bored 12 year old to do it for me. I couldn't do this kind of repetitive task no matter how beautiful the final product was.

It really does take hours -- and if you miss one spot, you chance having to do it all again, so DO NOT MISS A SPOT.

lol

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PrettySarcastic For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettySarcastic View Post
    I watched a youtube guide where a guy did this.

This produces a beautiful result, but I swear to god, the effort involved to do it must be soul crushing.

I would probably pay a small bored 12 year old to do it for me. I couldn't do this kind of repetitive task no matter how beautiful the final product was.

It really does take hours -- and if you miss one spot, you chance having to do it all again, so DO NOT MISS A SPOT.

lol
    It isn't too bad if your island already has a bunch of decorations on it, would not try it otherwise. It is 100% worth it though!
    That's part of the reason why I personally like to travel 6 days (or however many rocks are left to move) in the future to save time.

Finished decorating my rock garden

Thank you to carrottea for the lovely userbar

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to My name is Yoshikage Kira For This Useful Post:

♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (07-14-2020),Synth Salazzle (07-16-2020)