Thread: Are Pyramid Schemes business really worth it? NO!

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    60d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m

Are Pyramid Schemes business really worth it? NO!

There's a lot of friends who are in this and they spam my feed everyday telling me how they're insanely profiting with this.
    Some with the dietary supplements one, anothers with the Free Cruises scheme, some receiving sports bets and some others with ctiyptocurrency or Forex.

They claim that they don't need to work anymore, but is this true?
    I've always being afraid of the Pyramid Scheme, but I'm actually trying to start earning some passive incomes.

Tell me your thought and what do you do to earn passive income!

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    That is not true

If you look into the company's income disclosure statements most will show that over 90% of people who sign up never make any profit, less than 1% make enough to be considered minimum wage. It's pretty much the same from all MLM/pyramid schemes that I've seen and personally looked into

The people on your feed are not insanely profiting, they are trying to rope you into their scheme so they can make a profit off your possible loss. The people who are boosting them up on their posts are likely their "upline" aka the person who recruited them

I'd recommend looking into (you need an account to see links) for more info.

Thank you to carrottea for the lovely userbar

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to My name is Yoshikage Kira For This Useful Post:

Erik. (07-08-2020),Fabulous (07-07-2020),Gato (07-08-2020),Oneiros (07-08-2020),Oshun (07-07-2020),Pinecone (07-07-2020),pinkpain (07-08-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (07-07-2020),Tyranitar (07-08-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Pyramid schemes, or MLM (mult-level marketing) are just not worth it. They're predatory and really gross. By the time you start making money off it you've probably pissed off your friends/family by bothering them to get them to buy shit from you and sunk a whole lot of money into the "business" itself, so it's not really profit.

The subreddit @(you need an account to see links) linked you to is one of my favorites and while it's mocking people who are taken in by MLMs, it's also extremely informative because you'll get former people who were part of like, Airbonne or the leggings one or whatever who go there and tell about their time spent with an MLM. Most if it is insane pressure and encouraging you to reach out to friends/family/strangers alike to try and get them to buy your products and be part of your down line. My heart always breaks a little when I see a friend of mine taken in by the false promises and pretenses.

Edit: As for passive income, I sometimes do commissions for my various dnd groups. My older sister and I are talking about starting to make custom dnd dice too but that's gotta be held off until I can fund the stuff because she's currently out of work. I just like doing creative artsy things and sometimes I get a small income from that. Nothing large but a little extra spending money is nice.
    Last edited by Goddammit; 07-07-2020 at 03:13 PM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

My name is Yoshikage Kira (07-07-2020),Oshun (07-07-2020),Pinecone (07-07-2020),Tyranitar (07-08-2020)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddammit View Post
    Pyramid schemes, or MLM (mult-level marketing) are just not worth it. They're predatory and really gross. By the time you start making money off it you've probably pissed off your friends/family by bothering them to get them to buy shit from you and sunk a whole lot of money into the "business" itself, so it's not really profit.

The subreddit @(you need an account to see links) linked you to is one of my favorites and while it's mocking people who are taken in by MLMs, it's also extremely informative because you'll get former people who were part of like, Airbonne or the leggings one or whatever who go there and tell about their time spent with an MLM. Most if it is insane pressure and encouraging you to reach out to friends/family/strangers alike to try and get them to buy your products and be part of your down line. My heart always breaks a little when I see a friend of mine taken in by the false promises and pretenses.
    One of my favorites too, and has a lot of information about various mlm's so people can do their own looking into each company.
    Breaks my heart to see it too, they especially prey on new mothers who would love nothing more than to stay at home with their child/children. About 8/10 women I know that are new mothers end up getting suckered into one (but most luckily get out pretty quickly)

It also just doesn't make sense as a whole, why would you want to recruit your own sales competition if the majority of your profit is supposed to be from sales?
    The only people who end up doing good in mlms are people who are the first in their area to get into that mlm and aggressively recruit other people.
    Last edited by My name is Yoshikage Kira; 07-07-2020 at 03:27 PM. Reason: oops double post

Thank you to carrottea for the lovely userbar

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to My name is Yoshikage Kira For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (07-07-2020),Tyranitar (07-08-2020)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    117/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    93d 19h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Like @(you need an account to see links) said, that is completely false

The people you see claiming they're insanely rich now are either trying to promote the scheme, or are a bit off their minds thinking they're actually making easy money, when in reality they're not

Pyramid schemes are scummy, never worth it, and afaik, illegal (or at least frowned upon) in most countries. You and the people you might get into it are gonna lose a lot of money at the end of the day, and everyone's gonna go home with a bad taste in their mouths

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinecone For This Useful Post:

My name is Yoshikage Kira (07-07-2020),Tyranitar (07-08-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    8d 1h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I had a friend that was trying to rope me into something like this but after doing my own research found out it was a pyramid scheme. When I sent her the articles I found that called it out she stopped contacting me lol. Any time someone is selling something that sounds too good to be true, I've found that it usually is.

(you need an account to see links) is the one she was trying to get me involved in. Referred to as a gifting mandala. In case anyone comes across it, avoid it!
    Last edited by Oshun; 07-07-2020 at 11:29 PM. Reason: additional information

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oshun For This Useful Post:

My name is Yoshikage Kira (07-08-2020),Tyranitar (07-08-2020)

Pronouns
    --------------------
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    48/0
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    25d 22h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    For the top person on the pyramid, maybe.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to omg.UFOs For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (07-08-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (07-08-2020),Oshun (07-10-2020),Tyranitar (07-08-2020)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/2
    Mentioned
    264 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    More often than not, all pyramid schemes and MLM are shams, out to scam you of your money. The only people who actually make money are the ones on top, and maybe a few levels into it. Everyone else at the bottom thinks they're making money but end up having to recruit more people to make up for their initial "investment".

Passive incomes that you can look into should be ETF stocks, government bonds and stocks or real estate/rental. Anything that actually requires you to do something to earn that money is not a passive income, but a side income.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Unown For This Useful Post:

Tyranitar (07-08-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 times
    Time Online
    19d 10h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Absolutely agree with everyone here. I'd like to add on and recommend John Oliver's video on (you need an account to see links).

The part I always remember talks about that "you come in and tell 5 people, they tell 5 people, etc." mantra that pyramid schemes preach. He mentions that if you were to do that, that within 13 cycles you'd exceed the population of the earth.

Pyramid schemes only make money for the people on the very top. I absolutely would not recommend it for making passive--or any--income. In addition, part of the pyramid scheme image is constantly buying things and flaunting the money you're making in order to perpetuate this idea that it's a wonderful, perfect lifestyle and you can have it, too! In reality, if you were actually making an income, I would think you'd want to save it and not spend it on a bunch of frivolous things to show off to your friends.

If you're a creative type person and make crafts, Etsy is a better source of passive income. Or if you're savvy in graphic design you can always offer your services to people. I do both those things to make passive income, which has kind of become my main income since I can't go to work because of COVID.

hello i am frank i'm a cat now sike blub blub

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oneiros For This Useful Post:

funnybell (07-11-2020),Goddammit (07-08-2020),Tyranitar (07-08-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    18h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    A family member told me their “friend” wanted to talk to me about an opportunity. I immediately said no because of r/antimlm lurking. However she said please please just tell them no..so I gave in and listened to the pitch. They went along and spouted ridiculous claims saying he once made 3k in a day..I said how much are you making talking to me right now? “Well I don’t get paid to speak to you, I do it because I want too and I even do it at 3am sometimes” RED FLAG. IM NOT GOING TO BE UP AT 3AM for ANYONE. I listened to the pitch NOPED out and they started a fight with my relative because I didn’t join.

STAY AWAY!
    Feed me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to StockingAnarchy For This Useful Post: