Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I fear this new site layout may make me quit.

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    There's no petition for keeping the "Classic" layout - they've said outright that their plan is to move forward with the mobile-friendly layout, and not an app. For now, you can swap between the two, but eventually the new mode WILL be the only one.

TNT has also stated that they can't convert the site to https until Flash is gone, which means that they basically need to redesign the website for the 21st century. I'm hoping for some loosening on the CSS filters tbh

The aesthetics aren't my favorite (not a fan of the clunky, shaded buttons), and I don't like that I can't see my pet's full customisation on the new Quick Ref page, but I otherwise don't mind this new layout. It is VERY much in flux right now, and subject to change.

If you have any concrete critique, I believe they've opened up the "Mobile-Friendly Beta" board to all site users!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

Mangle (06-23-2020),Sakuras (06-24-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    46d 12h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Atleast i can secure my pets if theres no userlook ups relessed

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    55/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    67d 17h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Even though the only constant is change. This is one change that I wish wasn't happening.

They should set up a poll to ask the neopians which are the features that we wish to keep, so they could perhaps work on finding alternatives to improve the site to mobile friendly while still satisfying the old users. I do not know how much is the this beta look going to attract new users to visit the site. Afterall, I would believe people come back to Neopets because of nostalgia and not due to the new look. Unless they have something really attractive like a event or plot to really grab the old and new users attention. Frankly, a mobile friendly site does not feel like it would be sufficient for this case.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kopiko For This Useful Post:

Spohia (06-23-2020)

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,871 times
    Time Online
    564d 2h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    It's a shame these (temporary?) developers didn't get it right the first try.

Please consider their feedback system in place instead of just calling it quits. I think if enough people comment on the layout in comparison to the older style, they'll try to make it more appealing.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

7. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

Autobot (06-24-2020),Bellz (06-24-2020),Blue-tooth (06-23-2020),♥ Dita ♥ (06-23-2020),Erik. (06-24-2020),Flordibel (06-23-2020),Ked (06-23-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-24-2020),Oshun (06-24-2020),papierxmache (06-24-2020),penguin1991 (06-24-2020),ruzzeh (06-24-2020),Sakuras (06-24-2020),skelekitten (06-25-2020)

Pronouns
    he/him/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    57d 14h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    I don't use Neo on mobile, and it's ugly/annoying on desktop...so I really hope we have the option to stick to the old layout too. I guess I'll bug them with feedback.

I'm glad they're trying to update the site, but wish they would realize pretty much all of their userbase are adults. The mobile beta looks very childish and gaudy.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Double.Trouble For This Useful Post:

My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-24-2020),penguin1991 (06-24-2020),skelekitten (06-25-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    17d 11h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    It's hideous and senseless, honestly. There's absolutely ZERO reason for a mobile layout to be necessary when playing the site on, you know, desktop???
    Not all of us play on mobile. You can't use scripts or bots on mobile, and I'd be willing to bet that my browser runs everything else I care for much faster. :/

If it stays on mobile, cool, but I'm absolutely joining the mob if the "desktop version" doesn't have much thought or change put into it from what it is now and becomes permanent later.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Dream For This Useful Post:

Corliss (06-24-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-24-2020),skelekitten (06-25-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    8d 1h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    What I would give to be a fly on the wall in Neopets HQ for these site meetings.
    The release of that ad for the beta site has me back to having low expectations for any of the feedback they're receiving to be taken into consideration. Genuinely expecting the site to be just as broken as it is now, but with a new layout. But with that said, I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. (pls don't fuck this up neo)

Quote Originally Posted by Valia View Post
    won't TnT listen if 80% (?) of their user base decides to tell them that we are NC addicted adults and their target audience would rather be on TikTok?
    THIS. Kids are growing up with social media now. That is what pet sites in general are competing with for the kids they're marketing to. Well, actually maybe just neo, because they seem to be one of the only ones aiming for what looks like a younger age range. Bigger site changes would need to be made if they are going to attempt to keep a hold of the attention spans of the demographic they're aiming for.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    2d 7h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    like many others i really dislike the fact that u can't see customs/backgrounds :^( i spent HOW much time and money getting these custom together only to be hidden??

coming from a sometime mobile user tho, i like the boards in the mobile layout but the yellow site theme is toooooo much and looks very cartoonish

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to astrocat For This Useful Post:

Erik. (06-24-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-24-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    56 times
    Time Online
    6d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Phantom View Post
    I feel your pain.

What I hate the most about it is that I spend some serious cash on NC to give my UCs their customs, just so TNT rips them away from me on that ugly quickref thing.

Not to mention TNT said "oh, this is not a final version, please do let us know your opinions and we'll work on that" and then post an ad containing the beta, so that means they will just keep this current thing and not take any opinions of their loyal userbase. I think this will be the final straw for a lot of players, TNT seems to think that investing on a "quick solution" to bring in more kids to the website is better than improving to actually maintain the adult userbase they already have, when we're the ones actually funding the website by buying NC/premium. If TNT thinks children will spend as much money as we do on that dying website, they're in for a big surprise.
    I think they're just thinking short term and trying to ride on a "nostalgia boom" where all of these people go, "oh yeah, I remember that site. I'll check it out.". It'll probably see a big comeback for a small amount of time- and they'll make some quick short term money. In the long run, this is going to absolutely destroy the site though. Killing off the old loyal userbase while people who came back for the nostalgia will fade away almost as fast as they came.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by j03 View Post
    It's a shame these (temporary?) developers didn't get it right the first try.

Please consider their feedback system in place instead of just calling it quits. I think if enough people comment on the layout in comparison to the older style, they'll try to make it more appealing.
    I like your optimism.... And I hope that you are right.
    The people who quit over them converting neopets was not enough for them to be willing to change it back though. Then again, they were owned by viacom instead of jumpstart (and they made hella money off of nc so I guess the financial aspect made it worth the loss of users) so maybe there is a chance. But there is also a chance that they invested so much money into this that they aren't willing to fix it.

I know I'm doing a double post and this will be merged with the post I just made on this thread, so you'll see the point I made a few minutes ago as well. Like I said above, I think short term they're going to see a bunch of people rejoin the site for nostalgia. I don't think this will keep them active long term, but the influx of users might be enough to convince them that they don't need to fix the steaming pile of shit they dumped on us. If they do fix it, it might be far too late- after them killing off the loyal fanbase that kept them afloat these recent years.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruzzeh For This Useful Post:

bootiesrus (06-24-2020),Erik. (06-24-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    114 times
    Time Online
    54d 20h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    I'm sure they'll keep both! Lots of sites have a desktop and mobile version...

*~a ghost in the sunlight~*