Thread: Friendship and gifting and interior restoration, oh my!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    119 times
    Time Online
    135d 22h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 37m

Friendship and gifting and interior restoration, oh my!

One of the things that keep me playing New Horizons is getting villagers' photos, which is accomplished through raising friendship levels with villagers. These guides have been tremendously helpful in helping me get photos and, as an additional effect, more varied conversations:

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links)

How do you determine friendship levels?

Different dialogue trees and interactions are unlocked by increasing favor level. You can determine your general favor level by looking at what your villagers say to you.

Daily presents are unlocked at favor level 2.

The FreeA_Always dialogue trees are unlocked when you become good friends.
    The FreeA_AlwaysA or FreeA_AlwaysB dialogue trees are unlocked when you become best friends (and are therefore eligible to receive a photo).

These dialogue trees can be found here: (you need an account to see links) (Credits to GoogleBen#1337)
    To navigate the database, go to TalkNNPC, then locate the personality-specific folder as follows:
    B1_Bo: Lazy
    B2_Ha: Jock
    B3_Ko: Cranky
    B4_Zk: Smug

G1_Fu: Sweet
    G2_Ge: Peppy
    G3_Ot: Snooty
    G4_An: Sisterly

Then, go to the Free subfolder. The FreeA_Always, FreeA_AlwaysA, and FreeA_AlwaysB strings are found in this folder.

In addition, the amount that is donated to construction projects at 5 AM is equal to the total number of friendship points the resident representative has.
    ((you need an account to see links).)

In my experience, gifting villagers wrapped iron wall lamps — wrapped hanging terrariums work just as well, too — is the fastest way to increase friendship levels while seemingly preserving their interiors. Take that, furniture and mannequins in random places!

… "Seemingly"? Villagers can store up to 32 pieces of furniture (including their default furniture) in their inventories. If you fill their inventory with items and continue to do so over time, they'll remove old items to make space for new ones. This applies to gifted wall-mounted items as well despite villagers not being able to display them (unless the wall-mounted item gifted is something they already have). For example, (you need an account to see links) talks about how their (you need an account to see links), who has several star wall garlands in his house, removed them as more wall-mounted items were gifted.

Therefore, if you're like me and don't want to chance random stuff cluttering up villagers' houses at all, wrapped non-native fruit would be your safest bet. It'll take a little longer because of the lower number of points those give, but it's a lot easier than restoring their interiors in the future. This is my strategy:

- Gift one wrapped non-native fruit until the villager and I are best friends
    - Fill my inventory and gift the villager from a stack of non-native fruit OR gift the villager a wrapped stack of two non-native fruits and soft reset until I receive their photo

For more info on restoring interiors or if you're interested in knowing how house layouts work, (you need an account to see links) is a godsend. (you need an account to see links) also allows you to view the layout of any villager's house.

All credit goes to the guides' respective authors.
    Last edited by Styx; 09-18-2020 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Added direct links to Yue's friendship and gifting guides
    Custom userbar by Infected. Thank you! 💕

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Styx For This Useful Post:

Flordibel (06-15-2020),Hall (07-20-2020),kittyray (06-12-2020),Maki (06-12-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-12-2020),Star Dream (06-15-2020)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    THIS IS SO HELPFUL!!! I haven't gotten any of my villagers' pictures yet, so hopefully I will soon!!!