17/0
    Mentioned
    306 times
    Time Online
    134d 4h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtmahr View Post
    Thank you for posting the link! Feeling that myself which is why I'm gonna get involved with my wallet and will attend any protest going on in my area to show support. There has to be more that can be done so this is not over looked like every other time
    The target that was looted was also refusing to sell supplies to the protesters or milk to help get fuckin tear gas out of their eyes. That target was also sending funds to the police so looting it was a way to ensure the police were not profiting any further.

It makes my blood boil to see that it's only third degree murder, even with his violent history, but I'm sure it was done that way so the charge actually sticks.
    For first degree they'd have to prove intent to kill or premeditation.
    Second Degree Murder is how I'd personally classify it since that video shows his disregard for life.
    However with him being a police officer he could always use the defense of "I was scared for my life" (even if there is no evidence of that) and people would probably eat that defense right up.

As much as I hate our prison system, it would be nice to see any amount of justice done even if I don't agree with what the charge should of been. Most people never get any amount of justice
    I think it's sad that we as a people have to "settle for any amount of justice".
    This is such an indicator of a completely broken system.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to motherfucker For This Useful Post:

Autobot (05-29-2020),Babaa (05-30-2020),Black Dog (05-31-2020),Goddammit (06-07-2020),Mama Bear (05-29-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (05-29-2020),Oshun (05-30-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (05-29-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 21h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    I don't care that places are being looted, broken, and burned - it's a thing throughout history that has been done over and over when there has been an injustice.
    That said, there are videos of a white man/men that are assumed to be cops smashing windows and putting wood on bulks of shopping carts to set ablaze. This has also been an occurring issue. Cops will try to frame POC as much as they can.

I'm glad he is caught now but 3rd degree murder isn't enough. At least it's something.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alcremie For This Useful Post:

Babaa (05-30-2020),Cookie Tray (06-02-2020),Dot (05-30-2020),Goddammit (06-07-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (05-29-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Forgive me but there are so many powerful images from the past three days that are symbolic and devastating -

(spoiler because it's large and I didn't want to resize because detail)

The strength of the protesters is just incredible and I'm glad this is being documented for posterity.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gjniev For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (06-07-2020),Houndoom (05-29-2020),kittyray (05-29-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (05-29-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Columbidae View Post
    The officer that knelt on his neck was just arrested.

Justice takes time. People want instant justice like how they see on TV in Law and Order. But the real world takes time.
    Being arrested doesn't change the underlying issues with the system that allowed this to happen in the first place though. Like the partner who just stood there, keeping the observers back. There's a difference between supporting your partner and being a bystander to something that you should know is both morally and ethically bankrupt. Moreover, the charges are only 3rd degree. I get that proving a higher charge is more complex, but there was a callous disregard for human life there. Not to mention the history the officer had compounding on the matter.

I don't agree with the violence in the protesting, but at the same time I can understand that they're trying to demonstrate their outrage somehow, in a way that'll get the attention of a wider audience. As that tweet said, peaceful kneeling was also disregarded. It gets to a point where you are silenced for so long that action is where you turn. If you don't have a voice that is being respected and heard, how else can you seek change? Is setting fire to a police building the right course of action? No. But it's sending a message that cannot be ignored. In that sense, I can understand the choice.

Trump's tweets are, of course, adding fuel to the fire. The I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the disclaimer from twitter advising that the tweets broke their rules about glorifying violence, but were considered important for the public. When the President is glorifying violence against people who are disenfranchised, discriminated against, marginalised and murdered...*sigh* I guess it's just another day for that administration.

Thank you to the people who've posted so far. I didn't want this thread to come across as virtue signalling or any of that, but thought that it was an important contemporary issue that needs every platform it can get, even a Neopets cheating site.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Babaa (05-30-2020),Dot (05-30-2020),Ghastly (05-30-2020),Goddammit (06-07-2020),motherfucker (05-29-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (05-29-2020),Oshun (05-30-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 20h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 13m
    I found the violence and rioting unsettling, too, but if it provides any perspective:

(you need an account to see links)

It's still awful and I don't agree with any statements that encompass "all" of any group of people or professionals being one thing or another, but it's unquestionable that reform is desperately needed in this country. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive, stupid, or has their head buried in the sand.

There's at the time of my writing this a protest outside the White House ~

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PrettySarcastic For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    56/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    13d 2h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    I just saw this today in the news about the white policeman murdering the black man. It's so sickening that's its still going on in this day and age. Not only are police abusing their power, they are so racist as well....

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettySarcastic View Post
    I found the violence and rioting unsettling, too, but if it provides any perspective:

It's still awful and I don't agree with any statements that encompass "all" of any group of people or professionals being one thing or another, but it's unquestionable that reform is desperately needed in this country. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive, stupid, or has their head buried in the sand.

There's at the time of my writing this a protest outside the White House ~

The White House is now on lockdown.

No Justice, No Peace

Seeing news and streams from other major cities holding protests tonight. Currently watching one in Atlanta.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to My name is Yoshikage Kira For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (06-07-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (05-29-2020)

Pronouns
    That
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    136 times
    Time Online
    64d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    29m

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue-tooth View Post
    Lets put a knee on his neck and see how he feels about that statement.

Fucking sickening.

Anyways time to go get involved and make sure we're heard.
    For anyone else participating: stay safe and hydrated. Be sure to wear a mask and hide anything that can identify you (tattoos, piercings, hair) and try to wear plain clothing!
    Last edited by My name is Yoshikage Kira; 05-29-2020 at 09:14 PM.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to My name is Yoshikage Kira For This Useful Post:

Babaa (05-30-2020),Blue-tooth (05-29-2020),Dot (05-30-2020),gjniev (05-29-2020),Goddammit (06-07-2020),Oshun (05-30-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (05-29-2020),♥ Seagate ♥ (05-31-2020)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    54d 10h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Like others have said before this is a culmination of a systemic problem that has been festering for YEARS. History classes here teach the civil rights movement like it's a thing of the past, but it's an ongoing deal in every corner of the globe via many facets that are both obvious and insidious.

We organize peacefully and make petitions, they get mad. We don't want to kneel or pledge allegiance to a country that refuses to support us, they get mad. We start rioting over someone dying as a result of this system and they take the opportunity to call us "thugs" and make us out to be a bunch of self-destructive hooligans that just wanted to steal shit like it's a natural instinct or something.

Saying all cops are bastards pales in comparison to being cast as villains by the society that subjugated and demeaned you in the first place. Just because they're the people that get sent to help you doesn't mean you should feel safe, nor does it mean you ARE safe regardless of your ethnicity. I'm happy to see more non-black POC/white people opening their eyes to this, but I wish it wasn't almost always at the cost of someone's life. Property can be replaced, people cannot.

Some donation links for those who are able (shit just keeps happening this year like damn):

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Autobot For This Useful Post:

Babaa (05-30-2020),Blue-tooth (05-29-2020),Dot (05-30-2020),gjniev (05-29-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (05-29-2020),Oshun (05-30-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (05-29-2020)