Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    So anyway (NYC PBA are a bunch of fools):

(you need an account to see links)

- Allowing for transparency of prior disciplinary records of law enforcement officers by repealing 50-a of the civil rights law;
    - Banning chokeholds by law enforcement officers;
    - Prohibiting false race-based 911 reports; and
    - Designating the Attorney General as an independent prosecutor for matters relating to the civilian deaths.
    The 50-A repeal ((you need an account to see links)) is the biggest deal but still not enough, I think, with the knuckleheads you see above running around in the above video. Point 2 was already banned in New York but I believe it's now a criminal offense. Point 3 should be designated as a hate crime. Point 4 - you'd think it would operate that way typically but alright.

NYC city council wants to drop $1B from NYPD's $6B budget. (you need an account to see links) gives a breakdown of numbers. At this point, their behavior over the past few weeks was the best case for eliminating their bloated funding.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gjniev For This Useful Post:

Autobot (06-13-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    2d 11h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Police spending cuts is such a bad idea and imo will only make the problem worse. Any other time we would all recognize that good performance requires accountability and resources. And in the particular case of the police my unscientific view is that among the many reasons American police are so unusually brutal is that they aren't that good at solving or preventing crimes and see brutality as a way to terrorize people into behaving. Super long US prison sentences have the same root cause I think, they don't catch that many people and try to make up for it by just adding years to the sentences of the people they do catch

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    32 times
    Time Online
    1d 23h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by jprameau View Post
    Police spending cuts is such a bad idea and imo will only make the problem worse. Any other time we would all recognize that good performance requires accountability and resources. And in the particular case of the police my unscientific view is that among the many reasons American police are so unusually brutal is that they aren't that good at solving or preventing crimes and see brutality as a way to terrorize people into behaving. Super long US prison sentences have the same root cause I think, they don't catch that many people and try to make up for it by just adding years to the sentences of the people they do catch
    it seems like most police funding is NOT going towards training, though. if police aren't spending those funds on proper training, instead just using them to get cars and military gear, they shouldn't have them. funneling funds into policing doesn't solve anything in the community. those funds should be diverted to mental health care resources and community resources to prevent crime. not to mention so many calls taken by police could be resolved by ENTs, mental health workers, etc

i feel like america prioritizes violent solutions, and that's because those are the ones that make money (so the entire system is fueled by lobbyists for equipment and arms manufacturers) and as a society, we simply don't need it. add onto it the privatized prison system that makes millions using prisoners as cheap slave labor. it's a big, ugly system that was set up to disadvantage poor folks and people of color and use them as gears in the capitalist machine.

we don't need policing as much as we need resources to get people out of poverty and give them basic needs like housing, food, healthcare, etc.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to regimes For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (07-14-2020),Babaa (07-14-2020),Bat (07-14-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    2d 11h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I think the money mostly goes to wages and pensions, and of the rest the largest share is equipment. Anyway what I'm trying to say isn't that police are not too violent, but that police prefer spectacular violence and ultra-harsh treatment to the kind of broad surveillance that would work better to prevent both crime and police brutality - something low income communities always say they want! Police political power is a big part of this; you would need to hire a lot of officers to make this work and given the pay+pensions they are able to get this isn't practical for most local governments

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    32 times
    Time Online
    1d 23h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    but like.. if they're misusing the resources they have already, why would we give them more? what would stop those new officers from doing the same things as the old ones?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    2d 11h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I also mentioned the need for political discipline. What I'm saying, rare but extreme violence is how police choose to compensate for their ineffectiveness. What's needed is political control over the police to force them into accepting a different bargain that makes a larger force that can deter crime without brutality more practical. If we just have less cops we have less deterrence and more crime, which will probably lead to more police brutality too especially if it leads to a political backlash as it did in the 70s and 80s